"Stuck In The Middle" April 28, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ColeTrain

Post by ColeTrain »

Stuck, one day I will finally be able to get one of these hah
Usually found struggling with the meta late Saturday and Sunday night.
Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

On shore. Answer came to me after playing euchre with friends and drinking a Yuengling (not an easy get in Iowa).

Life is good.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Scott Lindholm wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:23 pm On shore. Answer came to me after playing euchre with friends and drinking a Yuengling (not an easy get in Iowa).

Life is good.
That's an evening well spent! 🍻🃏
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

LadyBird wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:34 pm First...an update on our little 5-month old grandson. He is on the mend, although he will be in the hospital for at least another day to make sure the GI symptoms keep improving and the severe dehydration doesn't come back. He even had a little smile in the pic our daughter-in-law sent. Thanks for your thoughts/prayers/concern!
🧡
Olof

Post by Olof »

Quick swim to shore this week. I asked the cabana boy about this weeks special. He said it is like a Harvey Wallbanger, but made with champagne instead of orange juice -- So Champagne, Galliano and Vodka. I asked him to make one with Absolut instead of the rack Smirnoff, and I'm calling it a "blond diablo". Skol!
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Ashore! Just finished the grid and had a quick swim. I’ll never make page 1 starting on Saturday night 🤷🏼‍♂️.
Kevin
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:37 am
LadyBird wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:34 pm First...an update on our little 5-month old grandson. He is on the mend, although he will be in the hospital for at least another day to make sure the GI symptoms keep improving and the severe dehydration doesn't come back. He even had a little smile in the pic our daughter-in-law sent. Thanks for your thoughts/prayers/concern!
🧡
Thanks for the update. Keeping @LadyBird grandson in my 🙏 that he comes home and all better soon. ❤️
linsocalm

Post by linsocalm »

Cool rainy morning just perfect for a relaxing swim to shore.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer is now LIVE!!

You can get access to the bundle by following the instructions on our website, CrosswordsForCancer.com

Promo.png

Also, there's a whole sub-forum dedicated to CCCC now available here. Swing on by and share your thoughts on each of the puzzles!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Finally got some time to take a look and quick swim to shore!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

@LadyBird has good news that her grandson should be coming home from the hospital tomorrow. Hopefully with that smile that we have seen in her pictures

If you have not gone to the web site of @OliviaL has of her 18 month trip it is just amazing. https://thepanamericandream.com/

And two postings above this is the path to a very worthy charity and 16 metas done by an all star cast. I have downloaded them was trying to decide whether to attack them from A to W or be like Forrest Gump with the box of chocolates. I am starting with Peter Abides's meta

So far we have 2 on the ship with Isaac and 249 on the shore. For those on the ship and anyone else don't forget about the Last Call zoom session at 8 pm ET.

New to the shore since yesterday are

Commodore
Cinny
linsocalm
Ann
Collegetowngirl
Olof
Debbie
auee89
Drew and Kasia
dk letter
Mary and Curtis
cbarbee
Scott L
SamanthaA
Prozach
caf.caf Cathy
KscX
rexthree
ladybird
Powers2020

Good luck with the meta for those who are still on the ship
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
shalmanezer

Post by shalmanezer »

Solved Thursday evening, but then had company and forgot to post. Since it looks like I may be Stuck in the Middle of a record crowd on the beach, I wanted to be sure my name is on the list of those present and accounted for.
John77

Post by John77 »

Spent Thursday night through yesterday on the (very rainy) Jersey Shore.

Happy to be on the meta shore this morning. Is the cabana bar open yet?
Screen Shot 2023-04-30 at 12.33.47 PM.png
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

ColeTrain wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:26 pm Stuck, one day I will finally be able to get one of these hah
Join in on the Last Call zoom session at 8 pm ET on Sunday evening, for gentle nudges and solving hints. The link is at the top of this page (Muggle Zoom Room).

And keep trying! It gets a little better with time.
JustAQuickThought
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Made it ashore yesterday, having too much fun on the beach to post! Fun puzzle, enjoyed the Aha!
chyna

Post by chyna »

I'm ashore! This one was so much fun :)
Dapperdan

Post by Dapperdan »

On shore! So much fun!
JerryF

Post by JerryF »

pookie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:31 pm Ashore, Bob.
For once I started right after the puzzle was posted.
An hour and twenty minutes later I finally got it.
#2 Post by MMe » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:05 pm, would you please tell me how in the world you downloaded, solved the grid and got the answer in 5 minutes?
Holy smokes, I'll never, ever, ever be able to type in the grid answers, let alone solve the meta that fast!
You and all of the page one solvers are amazing!
I've wondered the same thing. How do they finish almost before the puzzle goes out>?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

JerryF wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:07 pm
pookie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:31 pm Ashore, Bob.
For once I started right after the puzzle was posted.
An hour and twenty minutes later I finally got it.
#2 Post by MMe » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:05 pm, would you please tell me how in the world you downloaded, solved the grid and got the answer in 5 minutes?
Holy smokes, I'll never, ever, ever be able to type in the grid answers, let alone solve the meta that fast!
You and all of the page one solvers are amazing!
I've wondered the same thing. How do they finish almost before the puzzle goes out>?
The answer is that the fastest solvers approach the meta totally differently than most of us. See MMe's post #112. Also just like in other things there is a natural aptitude for solving that most of us don't have.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director