MEOW #126: Meaningless Words

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Cat is loose. Thanks for the puzzle, Josh
KayW

Post by KayW »

The cat is out at last. I saw absolutely NOTHING the first time I looked at this. Then got distracted by a busy week. Finally had a chance to take another look today, and the answer jumped out and bit me. Fun one. Thanks Josh!

Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Solution:

As hinted at by the central across entry, you needed to find the five squares whose corners were the letters M and T. The centers of those squares spelled out the answer, VAIPD.

I know, straightforward, but I hope still enjoyable.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I never got there. I saw the squares but it was the one that did not conform that had me at STALEMATE. Should have just thrown it away since it was not like the others but....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

DrTom wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:52 am I never got there. I saw the squares but it was the one that did not conform that had me at STALEMATE. Should have just thrown it away since it was not like the others but....
Maybe you're already familiar with this site
https://boisvert42.github.io/mechapuzzle/
You upload a completed grid, and it gives a chart of letter frequencies -- this puzzle and the average puzzle, so you can see which letters are being used a lot. In this case, you see that there are a lot of Ms. Then you click on M and all the M square in the grid turn aqua colored. Then if you notice the Ts and you click on that, the same thing happens, and now you're looking at those five squares bordered by Ms and Ts.
Jay