"To Really Foul Things Up Requires a Computer" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

hoover wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:47 pm Crossed the moat!
What kind of inflatable? I've got a Sea Eagle that I've taken out a few times now.
It's an Advanced Elements one, but not made for the ocean or fast-flowing rivers, apparently.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Different, but much fun. Thanks, Ben!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Moat crossed, but had to read the spoiler first, since my methods did not bode well for this meta! (trying not to be spoilery here…)
The other Wendy. :roll:
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

Ack! I live in a retirement home where most of us "Crossword Clubbers" have computers that still run Windows XP and we can't access the PUZ or CrossShare files. We hope that PDF versions of crosswords will always be available because we like to print them out and solve them in a round-table session.
Seattle DB
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

dsbened wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:24 pm Ack! I live in a retirement home where most of us "Crossword Clubbers" have computers that still run Windows XP and we can't access the PUZ or CrossShare files. We hope that PDF versions of crosswords will always be available because we like to print them out and solve them in a round-table session.
Unfortunately, this one is computer-only. But the Crosshare link takes you to a website, and you can solve there. You don't need a special app.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Crossed the moat.
Untitledzz.png
There's an app for that.
Thanks, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Looks like many of you know how to get around the vagaries of recalcitrant computers! Here's the first list of successful solvers:

SeamusOL
Schmeel
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
rjy
kymike
boharr
Tyrpmom
Capn Rick
MatthewL
ChrisCross
Darth
I K Snamhcok
DebbieC
Hector
markhr
Ergcat
woozy
whimsy
Dow Jones
ajk
Sharkicicles
Jaclyn
hoover
Mikey G
edestlin
Laura M
Jeremy Smith
Bbaack
Qmark
ReB
Darrell
HeadinHome
SJMcK
Mg305

That's 35, which is a good number for the first day!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It's on theme so I thought I would share it here. You just have to check out this crossword that Ross Trudeau posted that was created by ChapGPT: https://rosswordpuzzles.com/2023/04/09/lonely-planet/. :shock:

After solving click here:
In actuality, Ross constructed the crossword with no input from ChatGPT. (And I can confirm from my own testing that ChatGPT is utterly unable to construct any sort of coherent crossword at all, let alone a themed one! That said, I occasionally ask it to suggest crossword clues. :D) But Ross's crossword, from the perspective of a recently self-aware AI hell-bent on ridding the world of humans, is the best themed crossword I've seen in years! :lol:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I have crossed the MOAT. I even spelled it correctly the first time!!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Berto

Post by Berto »

Crossed the Moat!
Was very puzzled at first… thanks Ben!!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I'm going to release the nudges a day early. But first, a solver update:

Spid4567
DrTom
Carolyn
lbray53
Berto
Rayyan Choudhury

That brings us up to 41.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The only hint you get is the puzzle title. However, it should be noted that there was no PDF version: this puzzle truly requires a computer.

2. I worked really hard to make the grid and clues as easy as possible.

3. And yet when you complete the grid Crosshare (or your PUZ app) does not seem happy with the end result. If only there was some way to see where you went wrong...

4. Turn on error checking.

Important note regarding submitting on Crosshare (once you think you know the meta answer):

You will have to reveal the "correct" grid in order to submit your meta answer. This will very definitely reveal how badly things got messed up. Ah, computers!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: :computer: Staggered across the moat. Very creative, Ben. Thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Even though I knew it had to be done, it was surprisingly difficult to make myself do the last step. But I did cross the moat
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nudges were not needed, at least not the ones above. But this was a darn clever idea Ben and it took some pondering to get there. However, MOAT crossed!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:46 am Even though I knew it had to be done, it was surprisingly difficult to make myself do the last step. But I did cross the moat
Same! I did that before the nudges were posted and felt so guilty for doing it that I didn't post on the board. :oops:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A solver update for you:

KayW
BarbaraK
Golem
Charles Montpetit
michaelm
DrTom
Gutman
Steve M
DCBilly
Pair O Ducks

That brings us to 51. And if you are one of those who have tried to solve but felt constrained by the code of meta solvers...

pirates-caribbean-code.gif
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Final update:

DIS
whimsy
Jim Dean
BobJas
Jeff G

That's 56 in total.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the answer to "To Really Foul Things Up Requires A Computer":

To Really Foul Things Up Requires A Computer (solution).png

The genesis for this meta was MGWCC. I solve most crosswords using an app on my phone, and in this app errors appear as red squares whenever I type something into the grid that doesn't match the underlying character in the PUZ file. However, the PUZ files for Matt's crosswords usually contain randomised fill to make it impossible to reveal the grid. Consequently, the grid ends up almost completely red by the end. But not completely red. Occasionally, the random character and the correct character just happen to be the same. Where that occurs there's a white square. I know it's not likely to be the meta mechanism (because it cannot be replicated in a PDF), but I usually look to see if these white squares spell anything. To date, they never have. But it got me thinking and this puzzle was the result.

But what to spell. A message? Possibly. But what about the longest possible word? Definitely! My hope is that the moment when you turned errors on was a memorable one.

Just for fun, here's a music video from one of my favourite singers, Fleurie, who somehow managed to make the longest word even longer!