MGWCC #776 — “The × Factor”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

I have two possible answers, with equally as much (little) logic behind either. I have one I'm leaning towards but am hoping to see something that locks it in place before I submit it.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed. Not a solo since I was unwilling to risk my streak on a stupid mistake. So, I got confirmation from a solver.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Beamed.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam...

... and I'm on the board!
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
stmv

Post by stmv »

I am beamed up. I also initially saw two possible answers, but in the end one seemed to fit a lot better than the other, and I submitted it, and indeed it was correct.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

submitted and hope it’s the one. Now to try the Monday puzzle you all recommended!
The other Wendy. :roll:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!
rjy

Post by rjy »

A little unsure but took the plunge... beamed up!
Ray
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Beamed up #294
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I have submitted and before reading here I was pretty sure I was right. Of course I had to guess, but there were all kinds of what I thought were clues. I did not see an alternate so I hope there wasn't one or if there was that it was not the right one. I'll wait and see.

EDIT: Well down the list (#356) but there at least. I guess I am channeling last week's answer?
Last edited by DrTom on Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Beamed up. Of course, I had to look up the list to find a title that fit.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Giving up early is my special power, for good reason.

This is a Week One puzzle; going through the entire list of Oprah books was mildly irritating; but the answer is 100% a dead lock.

There aren’t two possible answers, there’s one.

Glad to get a Week Two even if it’s a Week One Week Two.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Well, I'm beamed up, but I still don't feel good about this one.

If the mechanism is what I think it is, it's a week one, but there are enough small inelegancies (is that a word?) that lead me to believe I still may have missed some detail that perhaps raises this both to a week two and to a 100% lock. I will be looking forward to reading the weekly write-up about this one, which I hope will clear up my remaining doubts.
Berto

Post by Berto »

I submitted last night and still not beamed up. Confirmed I had the correct answer, tried to submit again and confirmed I’ve already submitted - e-mailed Matt but no answer.
Does the form sometimes swallow entries, chew them up and spit them out???
MMe

Post by MMe »

Berto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:42 pm I submitted last night and still not beamed up. Confirmed I had the correct answer, tried to submit again and confirmed I’ve already submitted - e-mailed Matt but no answer.
You're currently on the "Overall" tab but not on "This Week", which means your answer was rejected as incorrect. I'm sure Matt will reply to your email when he has a chance, and he's usually more than fair about these things.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Submitted and hoping to be beamed. I had a terrible time getting it printed at my hotel in Boston, but finally a wonderful concierge took pity on me when I admitted to being a Crosswordaholic and that it would calm me down before the marathon.... I think he was a bit concerned as he had it delivered right to my room.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I've been beamed aboard. I waited a bit before submitting just to see if there was something more that would hit me, but today I felt good enough with what I had to go for it.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm curious to know what alternate answer people are getting. I looked through the entire list of books and don't see any other options.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Barney

Post by Barney »

Barney wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:44 pm Giving up early is my special power, for good reason.

This is a Week One puzzle; going through the entire list of Oprah books was mildly irritating; but the answer is 100% a dead lock.

There aren’t two possible answers, there’s one.

Glad to get a Week Two even if it’s a Week One Week Two.
“Beamed up” at 151.

Serious solvers have a serious 𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 problem.

Seriously.

Albeit it may well be their weakness and their strength.
Berto

Post by Berto »

MMe wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:40 pm
Berto wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:42 pm I submitted last night and still not beamed up. Confirmed I had the correct answer, tried to submit again and confirmed I’ve already submitted - e-mailed Matt but no answer.
You're currently on the "Overall" tab but not on "This Week", which means your answer was rejected as incorrect. I'm sure Matt will reply to your email when he has a chance, and he's usually more than fair about these things.
It’s just odd that a fellow muggle on this thread who is on the leaderboard confirmed my answer was correct!