"Metaphorical Animals" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Metaphorical Animals" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? I know what I was trying to do with this meta. Hopefully, you'll work it out, too! If you do you will arrive at the answer to the meta: a metaphorical animal which is found in the tech industry.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Metaphorical Animals - Online Form
Metaphorical Animals - PUZ
Metaphorical Animals - PDF
Metaphorical Animals - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

MOAT's crossed.
Thanks for the puzzle!
markhr

Post by markhr »

Moat crossed, castle stormed.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

MOAT crossed...and learned a couple of new things while doing it. Thanks Ben!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

MOAT crossed. Knowledge gained.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Darth

Post by Darth »

De-MOATED. All Iguana do is have some fun!
iguana-50198_1280.jpg
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Crossed the moat! Learned a new term today! Thanks, Ben!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!

Ditto above. Learned something.

Thanks, Ben!
hoover

Post by hoover »

Across the moat!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Learned something today as I crossed the moat. Thanks, Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Berto

Post by Berto »

MOAT crossed, although felt a bit like Clouseau crossing the ‘swine moat’ in The Pink Panther Strikes Again…
ReB

Post by ReB »

Crossed the MOAT after a bit of help for the last step. Like others, I learned something new as well.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We're nearly at the 24-hour mark, and I can now list the following successful metaphorical animal wranglers:

Schmeel
markhr
Darrell
Qmark
boharr
Darth
Hector
lbray53
Tyrpmom
Alex Sisti
Bird Lives
Ergcat
Carolyn
Sharkicicles
I K Snamhcok
Jaclyn
hoover
Bbaack
Meg
Account
KayW
Laura M
Golem
Berto
ReB
woozy
DIS

That's 27 to get us started!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Finally crossed the moat w a nudge, was on the right track but not quite closing the deal. Like others, learned something new today!
Ray
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat crossed with a helpful hint from @rjy. Wouldn't say I really stormed the castle -- more like showed myself in through a side door.
Matthew
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Two more solvers, bringing us to 29:

rjy
MatthewL

I think it's time for some early nudges!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. Given the puzzle's title, seven entries are clearly involved. Note that the grid does not have enough room for the animals referenced in these seven entries.

2. Some of the metaphorical animals are more well-known than others. Google might be needed for the more obscure ones.

3. Once you've identified the animals their leading letters will generate a word. But you will still need to do the same trick (add an animal) to get the full answer.

4. The animal in question is a bird that had a previous role in the mining industry.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Moat limped across...I knew all of the nudges and had gotten to the last step but fell through a loose board on the drawbridge and needed that last nudge to extract my foot. So, as others have attested, I learned somehting today - not sure I'll ever use it but I've put it in my "someday on Jeopardy" file.
Metaphorical Tech jeop.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Needed Nudge #4. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben !!