Happy Anniversary!

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
KayW

Post by KayW »

And despite this meta reminder, I missed mine a few days ago 🤪

I’m sure there are lots of metaversaries this week 🥂
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Clark E. Tripe

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

You guys are pretty smart. This brings us up to 65 solvers.

MaineMarge
MikeyG
Ergcat
Alvibu67
THC
DrTom
mkmf
BrennerTJ
Hector
ReB

Now let me consult that tutorial on how to do spoiler nudges...
Last edited by Clark E. Tripe on Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a paper tape guy in a punch card world"
Clark E. Tripe

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

I can’t figure out how this spoiler button works, so I am putting these nudges in "CETripe Code ®"

#1 .seirtne esoht elcric ot srethgilhgih deroloc tnereffid thgie esU .ralimis yrev kool dluohs taht seulc ssorca thgie era erehT

#2 .atsiVatlA esu ro seveeJ ksA ot evah yam uoY .eltit eht ot esarhp taht ylppA .esarhp a lleps seirtne thgie esohT

#3 .gnivig no speek taht tfig yrasrevinna eht atem siht redisnoC

#4 .egassem laiceps a rof renroc thgir mottob eht ot nwod levart ,)POT(1 erauqs ta gnitratS
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Apart from giving me a slight headache, those "nudges" got me off the couch. Thanks, "Clark" (or should I say "Purdy"?)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Got it - I should have used AltaVista the first time.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

hcuoc eht ffo yllaniF
!sknahT
Clark E. Tripe

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

michaelm wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:40 am hcuoc eht ffo yllaniF
!sknahT
Did you have to type that backwards yourself? That's a lot of extra work. Next time, try this: if you feed your paper tape upside-down in the PDP-8's tape reader, the printout comes out backwards automatically...You're welcome!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm off the couch. Brilliant!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

So last night at the Muggle Zoom session, I screwed up a trivia question. I said that Sophie Tucker was also on the bill the first time the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan show. She wasn't. Her Beatles connection came from a snarky comment Paul made, when he suggested that "Til There Was You" was a song by the American group, Sophie Tucker). Anyway, the others who were on the bill that night were Davy Jones (pre-Monkees, singing a song from "Oliver"); Tessie O'Shea doing a medley of show tunes; Frank Gorshin (pre-Riddler days); Mitzi McCall & Charlie Brill (comedy team); Fred Kapps (magician), and Wells & the Four Fays.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:32 am So last night at the Muggle Zoom session, I screwed up a trivia question. I said that Sophie Tucker was also on the bill the first time the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan show. She wasn't. Her Beatles connection came from a snarky comment Paul made, when he suggested that "Til There Was You" was a song by the American group, Sophie Tucker). Anyway, the others who were on the bill that night were Davy Jones (pre-Monkees, singing a song from "Oliver"); Tessie O'Shea doing a medley of show tunes; Frank Gorshin (pre-Riddler days); Mitzi McCall & Charlie Brill (comedy team); Fred Kapps (magician), and Wells & the Four Fays.
From 150 Glimpses of the Beatles by Craig Brown, here is an account of how that show ended after their last song:

It should be over, but for some reason it isn’t. ‘And now, ladies and gentlemen, a very fine novelty act – Wells and the Four Fays!’ An all-singing, all-dancing troupe of acrobats trot on, performing cartwheels and contortions in time to the music.

And it’s still not over. ‘Before I tell you about next Sunday’s show starring Mitzi Gaynor and the Beatles, right now – here’s a real treat from the folks at Pillsbury!’

Sullivan, the severe headmaster, permits himself just a hint of goodwill. ‘You’ve been a fine audience, despite severe provocation.’ A quick lizard smile. ‘Next Sunday, our show originates at Miami Beach from the Deauville Hotel … Next Sunday’s show stars Hollywood’s Mitzi Gaynor, the Beatles –’ More screams, which continue at such a pitch that they drown out his announcement of the other acts. ‘We’ll also have the winner of the Liston/Clay fight at Miami Beach, which plays host to President Johnson on February 27th.’ And, in closing: ‘Now I’m delighted, all of us are delighted, and I know the Beatles on their first appearance here have been very deeply thrilled by their reception here. You’ve been fine. Now get home safely – good night!’

Then, as the closing credits roll: ‘Tonight The Ed Sullivan Show has been brought to you by Pillsbury, where the good things you bake always begin with the best – Pillsbury’s best. And by new Aero Shave – Keeps Drenching Your Beard Through the Shave.’
boharr

Post by boharr »

Clark E. Tripe wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:58 am
michaelm wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:40 am hcuoc eht ffo yllaniF
!sknahT
Did you have to type that backwards yourself? That's a lot of extra work. Next time, try this: if you feed your paper tape upside-down in the PDP-8's tape reader, the printout comes out backwards automatically...You're welcome!
And here I was using ROT 13.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Confirmed off the couch before the nudges. Lovely meta, all tied up nicely. Looking forward to more.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Whoa, completely missed the egdun htruof eht yb dethgilhgih erutaef. Cool!
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

OTC! Very punny intro. Live long and prosper!
LesY

Post by LesY »

OTC without a nudge. Well done “Clark” and thanks for the celebration!

P.S. I joined 4/9/19. Time flies when you’re having fun.
Clark E. Tripe

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

My "CETripe Code ®" nudges seem to be working. 12 more Muggles have gotten into the flow of things:

benchen71
DCBilly
michaelm
BarbaraK
bhamren
Johnny Luau
Richard
david
mkmf
mattythewsjpuzzler
SeamusOL
LesY

We're now at 77.
rjy

Post by rjy »

ajk wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:35 pm Whoa, completely missed the egdun htruof eht yb dethgilhgih erutaef. Cool!
same! !teews dna revelc yrev
Ray
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Dang, I was going to look at the 4 edgun easter egg but i accidentally typed "sudo rm -rf /" instead. Maybe I need some Linux Rehabilitation.
Clark E. Tripe

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

Another 9 Muggles have joined the anniversary celebration:

supercruciverbalistic
Jimbo
frostyjhammer
Ashutosh Sodhani
Jaclyn
Jim Dean
Pair O Ducks
Snood
SJ

That brings us up to 86. "Things are going swimmingly" here too!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate this meta!