Hooked on Metas

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Off the couch avoiding nudges. Loved the AHA moment, which went something like, "No, they would never. Oh yes they would."
Jay
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Initially had the right idea but the wrong answer. I was able to clean things up with the help of The Nudge.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Thank you both for teaming up to give us this.
It was a delight to gradually recognize some things going on with this puzzle! (Trying to be obscure. :P)
And to put that recognition to good use to get the fun aha!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Abide wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:37 pm MONDAY NIGHT LEADERBOARD

With 20 of 30 correct on Monday night, this is no Cap'n Rick softball.

The answer to 38-Across tells you what you'll need to find.
Heck, I couldn't even finish the grid, let alone the meta! :lol:
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I struggled off the couch, to me these were difficult but I finally got there with a little help. How difficult you ask, well kind of like this:

Mensa Capcha.jpg
Captcha screen for the Mensa site
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:49 pm Well I struggled off the couch, to me these were difficult but I finally got there with a little help. How difficult you ask, well kind of like this:

Mensa Capcha.jpg

Ok, everyone confess. Who actually checked all of the squares to see which are prime?
🙋‍♀️
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Off the couch. Definitely needed the first nudge! Thanks for the fun puzzle Wendy and Peter!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Abide

Post by Abide »

TUESDAY NIGHT ADDENDA:

24. DIS
25. ZooAnimalsOnWheels
26. DebbieC
27. DrTom
28. Mwoychick
29. JM
30. Carolyn
31. Bird Lives
32. DCBilly
33. Teamdoubletow

The darling Wendy will drop a few nudges tomorrow.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:22 pm
DrTom wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:49 pm Well I struggled off the couch, to me these were difficult but I finally got there with a little help. How difficult you ask, well kind of like this:

Mensa Capcha.jpg

Ok, everyone confess. Who actually checked all of the squares to see which are prime?
🙋‍♀️
I was wondering who would try, it will be interesting. Knowing this group I'd bet lots....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Berto

Post by Berto »

OTC!
Finally clicked. So many cool things about this whole puzzle. (Apart from the rabbit hole I couldn’t free my foot from for some time…)
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Glad to be off the couch. Loved it. Great job Wendy and Peter!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

It's time for Wednesday nudges!

According to both Peter and Wendy, Darling is a fitting adjective for this meta.

The meta answer is eight letters long.

What do the Rihanna and ZZ Top song titles have in common?

The answer to 63D is not just some random fill.
Attachments
nudges (2).jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wendy Walker wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:46 am It's time for Wednesday nudges!

According to both Peter and Wendy, Darling is a fitting adjective for this meta.
I knew it!

The meta answer is eight letters long.
Okay...

What do the Rihanna and ZZ Top song titles have in common?

They both start with "R"? Nothing else that I can tell but using that they are relevant ... *ah*, yes that could be a solution... Yep, got it. *la-dee-dah*. Hmm... maybe I should google those songs as I have never heard of them nor have I heard of them vis a vis the key to the puzzle... *goes off to google* *GASP!* Had I even thought to google in the very beginning I would have gotten it with no nudges at all! instead of requiring all five!

Oh well..... off the couch but needed all the nudges before getting it.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Nudged off the couch. Well done. Thanks, Wendy and Peter !!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Finally got it with all the nudges and nudge-comments. Not sure why it was so hard for me to see. Seems straightforward in retrospect. Thanks. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I understood the theme before the nudges (though not completely until after my second wrong submission), but I was indeed still missing something and the second and third nudges showed me what it was. Excellent puzzle!
woozy

Post by woozy »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:22 pm

Mensa Capcha.jpg

🙋‍♀️
I did.

And true nerd confession. I misread 5^2 - 2^3 as 5^2 - 2^2 and I was going to smugly (but nerdily say) that as a^2 - b^2 = (a-b)(a+b) we know 5^2 -2^2 = (5-2)(5+2) and as 5-2 does not equal 1 it can't be prime and we can know that without actually doing any calculations.

..... but I misread. It wasn't 5^2 -2^2; it was 5^2 - 2^3 and there are no such "shortcuts". 5^2 -2^3 = 25 -8 = 17 which is indeed prime.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Finally off the couch although it was getting quite comfortable. Great puzzle ....
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Off the couch! Delightful. Nicely done, Peter and Wendy!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Off the couch! Needed the nudges! Very nice “aha”!