Seven Sages — WSJ, 04/01/23

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
ChrisKochmanski

Seven Sages — WSJ, 04/01/23

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Another fun Patrick Berry concoction. Took me a while to get a firm foothold, but once I did, it rolled.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Thanks for posting - beat me to it :-). Will be doing this one in the morning. Always enjoy Patrick's puzzles.
Kevin
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I won't say this one was easy, but only because we're not allowed to use the E-word here. Or is the Variety Puzzle forum open to a variety of words?
Jay
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Another fine PB puzzle; love the quote.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:02 pm I won't say this one was easy, but only because we're not allowed to use the E-word here. Or is the Variety Puzzle forum open to a variety of words?
That’s only for WSJ metas, because ostensibly it’s off-putting to those (of us!) not named Jack, ie, less nimble and quick.

Yes, relatively easy one of these ~~ also thoroughly enjoyable and fun.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Being a Boomer, I knew 17 and 18 right off the bat and the rest came quickly. I always enjoy these!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:08 pm Being a Boomer, I knew 17 and 18 right off the bat and the rest came quickly. I always enjoy these!
I read "FTM-UFO Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" when I was in 4th grade and was mystified and amazed by the description of the place while the kids were eating there and it's stayed with me for 40+ years....
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I enjoyed this puzzle.
Haven’t done many of the variety puzzles before because it usually takes so long to get the crossword meta. But the last two weeks have been fast so I have branched out. Fun!!
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

While I usually love the Patrick Berry variety puzzles, I feel like the Seven Sages lack a little in that the middle section is not really that important to getting the outer quote. It would be more elegant if the middle section spelled out the author of the quote. Just a thought
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)