MGWCC #774 — “A Little Off”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I have submitted and now I wait. Feeling nervous… I don’t see the extra “thing” some of you are seeing that makes it even cleverer. Glad to have someone enlighten me (DM).

This was a toughie, but so fun to chip away at!

UPDATE: on the board, and have heard from one muggle what the confirmation thing could be. I bet we have some variety in our ideas!
Last edited by HeadinHome on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Beamed. I didn't get to the puzzle till this afternoon. I guessed at the mechanism early on and was tempted to cut to the chase, but I knew I wasn't going to finish in the low numbers anyway.

I must be missing something. I don't see how the answer related to the title or the mechanism, nor did I find the bit of brilliance that MikeyG caught.
Jay
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

April fool's on us! We are the the Team that whiffed it this week! We still had fun though!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

TeamDoubleTow wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:15 pm April fool's on us! We are the the Team that whiffed it this week! We still had fun though!
You're not the only one!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

benchen71 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:25 pm
TeamDoubleTow wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:15 pm April fool's on us! We are the the Team that whiffed it this week! We still had fun though!
You're not the only one!
Then we are in excellent company!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
TMart

Post by TMart »

That was fun. Maybe not a week 5 in terms of difficulty, but a real tour de force of construction. And I solved it on a phone in the airport, which made for even more fun.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

I believe. Got to this late. I’ll check The Big Board in the AM.

UPDATE: On the board!
Last edited by ChrisKochmanski on Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Hmm.... I don't see the "extra" thing either. I figured the mechanism early but doing the grid so I could apply it was brutal. I expected there to be a second step and I worried I missed it but I've often figured if a puzzle can get to a legitimate and justified conclusion that stands on its own, it isn't kosher to say "Ah, but you needed to go a step further" and so a submitted and got beamed 179.

I am curious about this "extra". Can anyone let me know what it was?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I am awaiting beam up. Based on the other reactions on this board, I am fairly confident I haven't been led astray.
Berto

Post by Berto »

TMart wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:32 pm That was fun. Maybe not a week 5 in terms of difficulty, but a real tour de force of construction. And I solved it on a phone in the airport, which made for even more fun.
My phone succumbed to salt water so solved the grid mid-air en route to Charlotte on my laptop using text-boxes over the PDF grid - and Notepad.
The gentleman next to me on the plane must've been very puzzled!
Beamed at 1.05am..#222
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Confidently awaiting beamage but enjoyed the solve and appreciated the construction.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Late to get to the puzzle,,,Beamed up at #255...enjoyed the hunt.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

My first ever week 5 solve I am pretty sure!!! This is absolute genius. I can’t even imagine the work that went into this. I am in awe.

Stay well all
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I had an event all day Saturday and Sunday after church so was only able to get to the puzzle after 6:00 tonight. Was very surprised to be able to solve
it without too much trouble. At first glance, I thought it would take much longer if I was able to solve it at all.
rjy

Post by rjy »

What a gem! Awaiting beamage, but confident with a solid click.
Ray
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Hey, does anyone know the birthplace of the guy who wrote 1A? Anyone? Buehler? Heh heh...
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

MikeyG wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:40 pm Ohhhh, just saw something else. Brilliant.

Beamed up! A great way to start April!
I look forward to hearing what this "something else" is (well, reading what it is) after the reveal. I did see a couple of things that, in retrospect, might be considered confirmatory. But nothing solid.

But then, once I've solved one like this, where the answer seems clear, I'm just happy I'm on the board, and don't particularly want to spend too much additional time searching further. And I'm impressed enough with the construction of this one!
docison

Post by docison »

Did this last night after returning from ACPT (didn't want my brain cluttered with any meta thoughts while speed solving regular crosswords!). Enjoyed it, happily on the board at #325.

Now I need to keep reminding myself not to submit this week's until Sunday so I can get the Easter badge!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:08 am Hey, does anyone know the birthplace of the guy who wrote 1A? Anyone? Buehler? Heh heh...
I don't know the answer. But it must be a place overflowing with shear brilliance. I mean... putting together ALL THREE notes of a major triad??? Must've taken hours! Plus, it was a re-write of a previous version. That's tough to do! ;)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

HunterX wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:02 am
Al Sisti wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:08 am Hey, does anyone know the birthplace of the guy who wrote 1A? Anyone? Buehler? Heh heh...
I don't know the answer. But it must be a place overflowing with shear brilliance. I mean... putting together ALL THREE notes of a major triad??? Must've taken hours! Plus, it was a re-write of a previous version. That's tough to do! ;)
Well in fairness, he was getting shot at, so...