"Autocorrection" March 31, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
woozy

Post by woozy »

RobM wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:48 am Solved the grid on Thursday (I thought it was a relatively REDACTED grid),then stared at it for a while and couldn't see any rabbit trails, productive or otherwise. Looked at it again this morning, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, and it was suddenly obvious. Now looking for space on the beach.
Probably shouldn't give hints like this until the contest is over.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Can anyone direct me to the answers for the Trail Mix puzzle of august 20 2022 or the acrostic for Jan 28 2023?
I have been working on those much longer than the current puzzle which came quickly for once!!
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Late start. Hopelessly at sea.

I did ask this guy which way to the shore, and he wasn't very talkative.

Attachments
GOPR0901r.JPG
Rufus T. Firefly
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Nlobb wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:16 pm Can anyone direct me to the answers for the Trail Mix puzzle of august 20 2022 or the acrostic for Jan 28 2023?
I have been working on those much longer than the current puzzle which came quickly for once!!
Trail Mix puzzle of august 20 2022

acrostic for Jan 28 2023

WSJ lists the solutions, sometimes on same page as variety/acrostic puzzle or the following Saturday's page.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Thanks so much
Grandma Lolo

Post by Grandma Lolo »

Ashore
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Our final count is 5 on the ship and 211 on the shore. Good luck to all winning the mug and have a safe week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Doh !!! Finally ashore !!!
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

Last minute arrival on the shore!!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Heidi
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I have to say that when I saw this puzzle I said to myself; "CAN'T BE!" But as soon as I saw the TESSATHOMPSON I knew it was.

Not sure how many of you remember this:
autocorrect A.jpg

So, when I saw this one I knew the Mx immediately. I'm just sorry I waited until Friday to solve or I would have made page 1 for sure. Yes it was a little different, but not so much that I am not going to claim that, for this one puzzle and this point in time, I have something in common with one of the mavens of Meta!!!
autocorrect.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:14 am I have to say that when I saw this puzzle I said to myself; "CAN'T BE!" But as soon as I saw the TESSATHOMPSON I knew it was.

autocorrect A.jpg

So, when I saw this one I knew the Mx immediately. I'm just sorry I waited until Friday to solve or I would have made page 1 for sure. Yes it was a little different, but not so much that I am not going to claim that, for this one puzzle and this point in time, I have something in common with one of the mavens of Meta!!!

autocorrect.jpg
I knew it was a "repeat"! I thought it was a WSJ though.
Lee-Ann

Post by Lee-Ann »

It jumped out to me as very similar to the "Shamrock" puzzle of a couple of weeks ago.
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

I forgot to count myself on shore! I solved with my mom this weekend, which was a blast. She’s the one who got me hooked on crosswords. We spent awhile going back and forth with ADLIB as I felt like there should be one last step connecting it back to the autocorrection theme.
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

Very straightforward meta. 29A ("deep" --> Jeep) caused me to pause for a sec since it would have added a J to the answer, to which then 30A ("Satire") became SatUrN so the answers started to look like Adjun Lib, which obviously made no sense. But everything made sense again once I looked at 29A symmetrical answer (39A: "Omit") which was Shenk's way to say to ignore the Deep/Jeep combination. I thought it was a touch of brilliance.
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
pjc

Post by pjc »

Quick solve this week - the title was the obvious giveaway for me (I wonder if/when I would have solved it without that hint), along with TESSA jumping out as being a letter off from TESLA. Then the other 4 letters fell immediately.

Personal best streak now stands at 11!

I enjoyed the ACPT puzzles this weekend (virtually). Not quite clean because i got hung up on a few squares in the notorious puzzle 5, but a lot of fun.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

DrTom wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:14 am I have to say that when I saw this puzzle I said to myself; "CAN'T BE!" But as soon as I saw the TESSATHOMPSON I knew it was.

autocorrect A.jpg

autocorrect.jpg
Wow that is a coincidence!!
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Barney

Post by Barney »

The title was a huge clue ONCE you figured out to split the words.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

I should have been quicker on this. I worked for car companies for 35 years, but it didn’t come to me until I looked at Tessa for the 10th time. Then the light bulb lit up.
Zagman49

Post by Zagman49 »

Not to get too picky…but I believe the answer should technically be “Ad-Lib” with a hyphen.