MGWCC #772 — “World Leaders”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

I am so glad I didn’t have a steak going. I am laughing so hard at myself right now. 🤪
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Part of it was a struggle, but I have beamed up and kept my 🔟 for another week!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh... put me in the I had it but didn't think I had it camp.

It's ... valid. And the more I think of it the more valid and strong it seems but..... I don't love it.

EDIT: Is there a term for the-- If we had THE ABSOLUTE CORRECT ANSWER FOR THE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT REASON then that'd help us along the way, ha-ha, that'd be funny but we obviously don't have it--- experience?

Note, the is very similar but slightly different than the more common--- Well, it can't be THE CORRECT ANSWER (for unstated and inexplicable non-existent reasons but which somehow the speaker is convinced the correct answer is not acceptable)-- experience.

EDIT2: ANd there I am at 189 and ... damn!... I forgot to indicate it wasn't a solo solve. Thanks to Dr. Tom for giving me just the right amount of non-nudge. No information, just a second opinion about stats.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
oggy

Post by oggy »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:33 pm I am so glad I didn’t have a steak going. I am laughing so hard at myself right now. 🤪
Also glad I wasn't cooking a steak while solving this one. Kitchen would've been a smoldering ruin.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Beamed up… had the answer figured out long before I realized I had the answer figured out… needed a smack upside me wee noggin
Ray
Berto

Post by Berto »

Beamed up after a gentle nudge on to the transporter from @Joe (thank you!).
Very clever.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Awaiting beam up after a kindly and helpful nudge pushed me past the d'oh! moment. I was almost there since Friday, but saying anymore would be a spoiler.
KayW

Post by KayW »

oggy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:24 am
Beth Tyrpin wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:33 pm I am so glad I didn’t have a steak going. I am laughing so hard at myself right now. 🤪
Also glad I wasn't cooking a steak while solving this one. Kitchen would've been a smoldering ruin.
Speaking as someone who drove a stake through her own streak last week:

When I make mistakes
I use a lot of salt
Salt makes m'steaks taste great

Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Submitted and confident. Kicking myself because I had stumbled inadvertently on the answer early on when I had a moment of, "Oh that's neat, I wonder why...", but then I promptly ignored my gut and moved along in search of more rabbit holes.
Jade

Post by Jade »

We have SOMETHING but can't get a person out of it. Anyone around and able to send us a nudge or discuss for a bit, please?
(EDIT: Got it now - thanks to everyone who offered to help!)
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Ha ha ha!
Beamed up.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20230317-MGWCC 772-reveal.png
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

May Yma Sumac smack me! Never heard of no Enya!

I'm told ENYA is a frequent crossword entry. I must have always filled via cross words.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:36 pm May Yma Sumac smack me! Never heard of no Enya!

I'm told ENYA is a frequent crossword entry. I must have always filled via cross words.
Now that it’s in your head, you’ll probably see it everywhere.

I wonder if Mike Miller delayed his post, which mentions Enya as a wrong submission for WSJ, to avoid spoiling this anyone here
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

I was trying to solve the meta, wondering where the 'K' was to be found, and not realizing that I had to essentially fill it in. I thought, "I don't recall ENYA being in the grid, though it's certainly a common crossword entry. If only it were there someplace..."

It was only after writing that down that I realized why I couldn't find her anywhere.

I was amused by 19A. After reading the clue I thought, "Oh gee, I'll have to look that one up!" But upon seeing a few letters across it, I realized it was the motto of my prep school. Had to snicker at that.
woozy

Post by woozy »

For some reason I kept thinking I had to *do* something with the SHAMROC- and that would involve the K but be an entire second half of the puzzle. I thought a few times times (K)ENYA could complete the pattern but we don't have (K)ENYA and even if we did I wouldn't know what to do with it.

It was only after Dr. Tom said he was sure I was 7/8ths there and I point out I was 7/8 to SHAMROCK but SHAMROCK is obviously only 1/2 (so I'm 7/16 there? I'll take the 1/2) there that I realized... Oh... maybe SHAMROCK could be ALL there.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:36 pm May Yma Sumac smack me! Never heard of no Enya!

From the legendary (in Ireland) Clannad family band.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Orinoco Flow reached #1 in the UK singles chart and was all over the radio in my teens. Once I was nudged into thinking of a “K”-country (curse you Hesse!!!?!) K-ENYA sprang to mind.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I was reminded by @ajk that a few of Enya's songs were earworms in decades past, but she was most popular when I had 3 twerps under the age of 10. I was lucky to remember my own name in those times.

I wear out the INTERWEBS button on my keyboard when solving Pete Muller's excellent MMMMs. I'm stupid that way.

Demanding countries was a delay, also, but AMERICA is not a country. H-ESSE and A-MERICA fit the WORLD LEADERS title play, however.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

My original “solved-but-found-it-odd” post on this thread was inadvertently a nudge, and others kindly threw a blanket over it. I was saying that the clue for the NC motto was really weird, given that the adoption of the motto did not coincide with his stated centuries. Later learned that he was cluing HESSE with that “note…” — it referred to the centuries when Hesse was a German state. So I guess he was trying to help confirm the inclusion of Hesse as one of the world bits, since it was a bit of a stretch.

I also mentioned that my son has that motto tattooed on his arm, and here it is:
456ACAE6-F4C3-49A9-B843-73136EA29111.jpeg
The other Wendy. :roll: