MGWCC #772 — “World Leaders”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed. Had most of the idea very quickly, but then had to pause for travel to airport. Upon arrival at the gate the last bit clicked. Fun one, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Meg

Post by Meg »

Transported. Not really a week 3, imho, but I’m not complaining.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam...

... and I missed it! :(
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Submitted with a nudge because we are off to visit an ailing grandma tomorrow and needed to put this to bed. Beamed. Not the cleanest I’ve seen… one clue in particular had me baffled, and the “order of works” did too. Can discuss this and another fun fact later…
Last edited by HeadinHome on Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay... I guess I need to ask some one to verify that that it isn't this thing that is obviously not it.

I'd feel really stupid if I struggle all week and don't submit anything and find out it is this thing after all.... But I'd feel much stupider, if I submitted this thing and blew my streak and kick myself "why on earth did you submit that stupid answer when you knew it couldn't be right".
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I am awaiting beaming. I agree, nice "aha" at the end! Good one, Mr. Gaffney.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Should have beamed up sooner, but I kind of overthought this one.
Nice, elegant puzzle.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Beamed.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeyG wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:23 pm I'll take this company any day.

Fun puzzle. Made me smile!
Super job Mikey!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Submitted and waiting. Took a bit of thinking but the AHA; well faith and begorrah it was grand! Let's see if I was right.

EDIT: In at a respectable 150. I'd like to think I would have gotten a much higher placement if I had started yesterday when it came out as opposed to this AM (grokked the Mx pretty quickly) but since nothing but #1 REALLY would thrill me (and that ain't NEVER gonna happen unless I guess) I'm delighted just to be mentioned in the ranks of the solvers. I did want my 10 badge, and would have sworn that I was at 9 last week, but I must have miscounted. Not to worry, with 2 more Fridays to go I would not have had it long.
Last edited by DrTom on Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DebbieC

Post by DebbieC »

DrTom wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:56 am Submitted and waiting. Took a bit of thinking but the AHA; well faith and begorrah it was grand! Let's see if I was right.
Ditto! Solved the grid quickly, saw the metanism fairly quickly, and then . . . huh? Knew I was missing something but couldn't figure it out. I was stuck in the same thinking mode until this morning - the AHA realization. Submitted and confirmed.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Kicking myself for submitting too quickly and then going back to read the meta prompt. I nearly threw my computer I was so mad at myself. Going to work on it more for my own satisfaction.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up.
Cindy Heisler
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Beamed at #162. I got the final step with a friendly re-focusing of my thought process last night. Echoing the other comments...neat "a-ha", and one element was kind of Meh at best....
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Beamed up.

This was another case of my writing out where I was stuck and what I was looking for, and then realizing I had just given myself the answer.
StunGun

Post by StunGun »

I liked the meta. One part led me down a Wiki diversion, and I almost forgot to finish the puzzle!
Earned my Lucky Charms breakfast...
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Think I have it. Took a couple min to get that click. If so I will be a happy guy-don’t get a lot of week 3s!!

Update-I’m beamed!
Last edited by Streroto on Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Beamed up at #164. Glad I stuck with it!
woozy

Post by woozy »

HunterX wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:52 am Beamed up.

This was another case of my writing out where I was stuck and what I was looking for, and then realizing I had just given myself the answer.
It's a pity one can not emulate that.

... Speaking the to world in messa di voce "Gee, I sure seem to be stuck! I have X,Y, Z but it's nothing! I guess I will just give up an get myself a glass of water! Here I go! I am no longer thinking about the meta and I'm walking to the faucet! I'm filling my glass while not thinking about the meta and ...." *looks at full glass of not really wanted water*.... "damn..."
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
KayW

Post by KayW »

A friendly reminder from your moderators: Please do not discuss specific clues and entries publicly while the contest is live.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.