MEOW 120 : Rotten Trick

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

DrTom wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:47 pm DANG!

Only 11 solvers so far:
1 Whimsy (T)
2 Hector
3 boharr
4 benchen71
5 Darth
6 Meg
7 markhr
8 Mwoychick
9 Gutman
10 dudeski
11 Bird Lives

I do understand that this one is a step or two more difficult than most of my others, but it is playing like a LION. I am sorry and that is why there have been some early hints. I'm going to put another up in a few minutes and hope that you will all see through my subterfuge.

What am I, chopped salad?
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Cat out.

With help.

I was catching on but not quite clicking.

There are aspects of this puzzle that I really enjoyed, but others were frustrating. Still, I’m happy for the experience. Thanks, Dr. Tom!
rjy

Post by rjy »

MikeyG wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:04 am I still haven't figured out the name for this phenomenon yet, but it's when you take a look at the first nudge, and all it does is confirm what you've already seen. So, then you muse on if seeing the first nudge is enough to try to dislodge something further, or if you break and go to the second nudge.

I promise that all made sense in my mind.
Totally makes sense. I enjoy the journey as much as the AHA destination, so even a "duh!" initial nudge has me double-down on scrutinizing what I already have before peeking at subsequent nudges.

The good doctor often apologies for his more difficult puzzles, but I love these that have to simmer for a day or two...
Ray
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: Nudged out of the bag.
That was BRUTE-l...ly clever. Thanks Dr Tom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Chopped salad? Yes, please!

MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

rjy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:03 am
MikeyG wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:04 am I still haven't figured out the name for this phenomenon yet, but it's when you take a look at the first nudge, and all it does is confirm what you've already seen. So, then you muse on if seeing the first nudge is enough to try to dislodge something further, or if you break and go to the second nudge.

Totally makes sense. I enjoy the journey as much as the AHA destination, so even a "duh!" initial nudge has me double-down on scrutinizing what I already have before peeking at subsequent nudges.

The good doctor often apologies for his more difficult puzzles, but I love these that have to simmer for a day or two...
Agreed! @DrTom, I love all your challenges!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ah, the famed FORUM response...Fear Of Regretting Unread Messages, first discovered by Irving Freud (Sigmund's younger, neglected and, therefore, seriously neurotic sibling) who missed reading the second letter from his parents saying "Mom & Dad always liked you best".
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HoldThatThought wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:51 am
DrTom wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:47 pm DANG!

Only 11 solvers so far:
1 Whimsy (T)
2 Hector
3 boharr
4 benchen71
5 Darth
6 Meg
7 markhr
8 Mwoychick
9 Gutman
10 dudeski
11 Bird Lives

I do understand that this one is a step or two more difficult than most of my others, but it is playing like a LION. I am sorry and that is why there have been some early hints. I'm going to put another up in a few minutes and hope that you will all see through my subterfuge.

What am I, chopped salad?
Well no, that would be Caesar Salad I'm sure. Sorry, Whimsy posted on Crosshare that she had solved and that is what made me put the tester in, but yes Hold that Thought not only tested but was very helpful in making it a better puzzle. Same goes for Wendy Walker who not only is our resident "Strunk" (Elements of Style) reviewer but also points out weak points in a puzzle.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:53 am Cat out.

With help.

I was catching on but not quite clicking.

There are aspects of this puzzle that I really enjoyed, but others were frustrating. Still, I’m happy for the experience. Thanks, Dr. Tom!
Yes this is a process and I am still learning. Turns out this puzzle was created well over 6 months ago and I was waiting for 3/15 to release it. If I were doing it now I would change some key aspects. I do appreciated the feedback though.

T
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:42 am Chopped salad? Yes, please!

Hmm. I believe you meant to post this!
caesar salad.jpg
Anything else is crouton and unusual pun-ishment.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Where's that cat? I had the mechanism, the clues, the entries but still needed a push to put them together correctly.
Jay
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Whew -- cat finally loose. Needed a LOT of help with this one. Not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate the cleverness of the puzzle. Maybe just a little easier next week though?
Matthew
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MatthewL wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:07 pm Whew -- cat finally loose. Needed a LOT of help with this one. Not my cup of tea, but I can appreciate the cleverness of the puzzle. Maybe just a little easier next week though?
Well you'll have to petition Josh for that, but I promise when next it is my turn I'll do a more straightforward one. :oops:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:24 pm Where's that cat? I had the mechanism, the clues, the entries but still needed a push to put them together correctly.
Oh heck, that cat just cut his way out and got a "spare" sign from Caesar himself!!!
gladiator cat 3.jpg
ReB

Post by ReB »

Freed the cat, but I had break the cage lock. First nudge did suffice to set me on the right path, but the process was rather brutal [Brutus?]. Quite apropos answer.
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

Dr Tom had me stumped for the longest time with the great clue on 31D: "Steer a bull". Though I eventually sussed out the answer, the meta evades me (as do all of the MEOW metas).
Seattle DB
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well then Diem II and a few more citizens drift in:

12 Laura M
13 ChrisKochmanski
14 KayW
15 Bbaack
16 MatthewL
17 ReB
18 woozy
19 BarbaraK

With testers that is a total of 22. Gosh I'd be happy to break 30 with this one.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

gladiator cat 2.jpg
Before the Emperor gives a thumbs up (contrary to popular belief, thumbs up was the sign to essentially "get him outta here" or death!) to the remainders of our Gladiators, how about a little more assistance....

Google Caesar code

III refers to a term that has been used MANY times in the Muggle forums, I just hit upon a way to hide that in plain sight
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Finally, the cat is free!
Took me to use Nudge III to do the right thing!!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Nudge III was pretty much what I was expecting, but I had an epiphany last night regarding the title, and that made me smile.

This Persian looks like a lion to me! Thanks for the challenge, @DrTom!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 93. Person of Letters