"There's That Voice Again" March 10, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Colin&Chuck904 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:02 pm Finally ashore. Hazy IPAs and Oscars winners. Colin is smarter than Chuck.
Good to know! 😆
One world. One planet. One future.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Inca wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:46 am I'm curious to know how many solved this on their own; is there any stat like that? For me puzzles like this one are impossible to solve and that makes me less inclined every week to even make an attempt. This is not in any way a judgement of the puzzle at all; it is a judgement of myself and my lack of meta-bility.
@Inca don’t be discouraged! A couple of years ago when I first started, I didn’t get many metas! Had no clue what to do!! But after doing some, and studying past puzzles, I’ve gotten better and more confident. This week, my meta journey was exactly like Woozy’s ( see post above). As soon as I saw clue 48a with “voice” in it and there was “voice” in the title, I knew this was the HINT/entry to the solve! I find There is always a hint somewhere ( sometimes not too obvious, though).
I always try to solve on my own first but if I can’t, I do reach out on this forum for a small nudge or get on the Zoom call for the group solve. This is a great group of Muggles and they all want everyone to solve!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I WISH that I could say "I wasn't fooled" with every meta that I have encountered!
Barney

Post by Barney »

What a great puzzle! Smacking ice cream cone into forehead! (If anyone remembers that horrible old joke)

I got the first step almost immediately and never even thought of looking up the perpetrators of their actions.

D’oh! A dunce cap would not be a bad add to the emoji lineup.
pjc

Post by pjc »

Really quick solve for me this time; the 'passive voice' clue jumped out right away and the rest just fell out - so no rabbit holes to talk about this week.

This ties my personal best streak of 8 - let's see if the next one resets me again :-D
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

pjc wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:08 am Really quick solve for me this time; the 'passive voice' clue jumped out right away and the rest just fell out - so no rabbit holes to talk about this week.

This ties my personal best streak of 8 - let's see if the next one resets me again :-D
I thought I had a quick solve... until I saw @docison come in at 4:12!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Homer Buckle wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 am Great puzzle, but alas, Delilah's role in cutting Samson's hair was passive. I only know this because of the movie Fitzwilly, which I went to see because it had Barbara Feldon in it. Dick Van Dyke's character wins a bar bet over whether Delilah cuts Samson hair. https://www.tcm.com/video/281597/fitzwi ... he-godless

For those who don't want to watch the clip, here is the bible verse:

Delilah lulled Samson to sleep with his head in her lap, and then she called in a man to shave off the seven locks of his hair. In this way she began to bring him down, and his strength left him.
Ah, but the clue didn't say cut, it said his locks were broken. She broke his locks by betraying him and helping to get them cut off.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

Ergcat wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:33 am
Inca wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:46 am I'm curious to know how many solved this on their own; is there any stat like that? For me puzzles like this one are impossible to solve and that makes me less inclined every week to even make an attempt. This is not in any way a judgement of the puzzle at all; it is a judgement of myself and my lack of meta-bility.
@Inca don’t be discouraged! A couple of years ago when I first started, I didn’t get many metas! Had no clue what to do!! But after doing some, and studying past puzzles, I’ve gotten better and more confident.
Agree with Inca on this. Back in 2016, we only solved it once every two months or so. And in all of 2019, we got it right only once! Now it’s about 2 to 3 times a month.

But also curious what Ergcat means by “on their own.” I think everyone has their own honor system rules on this.

In our house we have two solvers, or four when our daughters are home, which definitely makes it easier. Hubby knows history and geography. Daughter 1 knows music and cinema and theater and has an uncanny knack with metas. Daughter 2 knows art and biology. (I’m only useful for French and Japanese and food.).

Our rule is it’s not okay to use Google for grid answers but it IS okay to use Google for meta answers. So although depending on your definition, we figured out the metanism on our own, without looking at this forum, but then we did use Google for 5 out of 12 of the “actors” identifications. I still consider this legit to submit.

Another thing I’ve decided is still “on our own” is scrolling through this forum once I know I’m stuck. Sometimes someone will mention staring at the grid and having an aha moment, which makes me look more at the letters, for example. Or once someone said they just retraced the answers, and when I followed suit the answer became clear.

Only when I get an actual nudge (send a direct message here in the forum to someone who has solved) do I not submit. I recommend that path highly, once you’ve given up, because other Muggles are really good at helping me feel I’m still figuring it out on my own. They ask great questions and I’ve learned a ton. I’ve never tried the Zoom but it sounds excellent in the same way.
Last edited by Collegetowngirl on Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:11 am
pjc wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:08 am Really quick solve for me this time; the 'passive voice' clue jumped out right away and the rest just fell out - so no rabbit holes to talk about this week.

The Doc is rarely off.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:21 am

The Doc is rarely off.
Indeed. We're talking about Adam Doctoroff, folks. Fastest solver I know (he's on the right here).
Colin

Post by Colin »

Muggle who was thought to be stupid for seeing the 12 clues but not applying the (now) obvious mechanism!
Grid answer: COLIN
Hidden actor: HIMSELF

Very nice meta!
One world. One planet. One future.
femullen

Post by femullen »

The Rules of Good Writing make clear the best choice:
For impact and clarity, use active voice.

A few of our number were thusly confused
When none but the passive of voices was used.

The question of who does the doing is moot;
Obscuring the doer's the purpose, at root.

The name of the doer on purpose concealed,
The "who" of whodunnit is never revealed.
Last edited by femullen on Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

I found the passive voice clue and the 12 related clues very quickly, basically as soon as I finished filling in the grid. Took me two more days to think of looking for the actors, then only another five minutes before I had it solved. I rarely get the solution, but even among the ones where I do find the answer, I think this one was particularly fun.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Shall a coincidence be considered ;) when actors are to be sought ;) for a puzzle that is to be submitted ;) on the night when the Oscars are awarded ;)?
Oxford Comma Mama

Post by Oxford Comma Mama »

Very late swim to shore for me! I'm glad I didn't look at any spoilers and solved it even after the deadline, because this one was FUN! It looks like quite a party was had on this beach! :D

Had a very good reason to be late though - this weekend my daughter was officially adopted! Wait, lemme try that again in the active voice - WE officially adopted our daughter this weekend! It was a wonderful celebration and we are so blessed to have her in our family.
docison

Post by docison »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:48 am

The Doc is rarely off.
Indeed. We're talking about Adam Doctoroff, folks. Fastest solver I know (he's on the right here).
Thanks for the plug, Al! (Though this just goes to show that you don't know Paolo, who is in the middle of this video, and is one of the 3-5 fastest crossword solvers in the universe in addition to being a topnotch constructor and human being).
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

docison wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:51 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:48 am

The Doc is rarely off.
Thanks for the plug, Al! (Though this just goes to show that you don't know Paolo, who is in the middle of this video, and is one of the 3-5 fastest crossword solvers in the universe in addition to being a topnotch constructor and human being).
...right, only by reputation. His well-earned reputation.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Barney wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:46 am What a great puzzle! Smacking ice cream cone into forehead! (If anyone remembers that horrible old joke)
Joke? I know of the Grateful Dead tee-shirt. (But not any joke.)

I got the first step almost immediately and never even thought of looking up the perpetrators of their actions.
I wouldn't have except that the clue to 48A described the pv as "obscuring performers". Had it be described a bit more accurately as "where the object is the subject" (not all passive actions have actors) I'd not have gotten it. But if the metanism clue refers to something specific being hidden or obscured, it's best to look for that thing.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
steveb

Post by steveb »

woozy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:12 pm
Barney wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:46 am What a great puzzle! Smacking ice cream cone into forehead! (If anyone remembers that horrible old joke)
Joke? I know of the Grateful Dead tee-shirt. (But not any joke.)

I wouldn't have except that the clue to 48A described the pv as "obscuring performers". Had it be described a bit more accurately as "where the object is the subject" (not all passive actions have actors) I'd not have gotten it. But if the metanism clue refers to something specific being hidden or obscured, it's best to look for that thing.
Not just a t-shirt, but the cover of the Europe '72 album

Attachments
icecream.jpeg
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

There are no stats for WSJ puzzles (unless someone is going through the comments and keeping a spreadsheet).

If by “on their own” you mean with no other people, MGWCC does track that and includes it in the weekly write up.

If you mean without google, I don’t know any meta that tracks that since most meta constructors seem to consider googling a normal part of the process.

For this one, I solved solo but only got 4 of the 12 ‘actors’ on my own. Used google for 7, and even with googling more about Loki’s movie than I’d ever want to know, couldn’t find a definitive answer for that one. Since I knew it had to be a T, I guessed Thor and called that good enough.

I know there are some people who really don’t like using google to solve metas, and I was thinking while solving that they’d need a lot of varied trivia knowledge for this one.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)