"There's That Voice Again" March 10, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

SReh26 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:20 pm
hcbirker wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:15 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:23 pm I’m Trying to join the zoom Call by audio but I don’t have the meeting password.
We’re you signed in? No password required.
I was just using the call in number and meeting ID listed below the zoom link. When you just call in it asks for a password before it admits you. I didn’t see one posted.
I did that last week, but I don’t really remember the details about how. I think the auto-dial included the ID and password, with some commas between to try to get the timing right. I can imagine that if your phone connection is faster or slower than expected, it might not work.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:32 pm
SReh26 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:20 pm
hcbirker wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:15 pm

We’re you signed in? No password required.
I was just using the call in number and meeting ID listed below the zoom link. When you just call in it asks for a password before it admits you. I didn’t see one posted.
I did that last week, but I don’t really remember the details about how. I think the auto-dial included the ID and password, with some commas between to try to get the timing right. I can imagine that if your phone connection is faster or slower than expected, it might not work.
Thanks, it did the auto dial and meeting ID on its own. Maybe the pw is a reheat if the meeting ID. I’ll try it on zoom next week.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I am definitely ashore now. I’m not sure what I was thinking with some of my previous answers, but I am 100% ashore now. All English.
Colin&Chuck904

Post by Colin&Chuck904 »

Finally ashore. Hazy IPAs and Oscars winners. Colin is smarter than Chuck.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Flying_Burrito wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:45 pm
Berto wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:39 pm
Colin wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:18 pm In bar with Isaac,
Drowning sorrows post rugby.
Mañana meta!

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏉 🇫🇷
That was truly brutal. Men against boys…
It truly was. On another front I am hopelessly waiting for Italy to pass the Wodden Spoon to someone else, and I was hoping that after the great game vs Ireland a couple of weeks ago that the someone else was going to be Wales, but we choked. But for the first time in a long time I can say that we are competing.
My brother-in-law is Italian, doesn’t care much for sport - which I’ve been thankful for given recent football failings (WC2018, Euro2020, etc.) but I’ve always felt I had the comfort of 6Nations… until recently. Italy epitomize the exciting, attacking, free-flowing rugby that the current England team is so depressingly devoid of.
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Ashore at the 11th hour. Maker’s Mark on the rocks as a nightcap.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Heidi
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

I spent way too much time on this one and almost submitted “A PIECE OF CAKE” as a Hail Mary. Went back and gave it one more look and it came to me. 😖
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Mr. G helped me along especially on Italy and Nomadland. I was spinning my wheels a bit until I looked at the clue for 48A and then the light bulb came on.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I'm curious to know how many solved this on their own; is there any stat like that? For me puzzles like this one are impossible to solve and that makes me less inclined every week to even make an attempt. This is not in any way a judgement of the puzzle at all; it is a judgement of myself and my lack of meta-bility.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The first thing I noticed was SECHS. Why a German word rather than SECTS? It must have been because Matt needed that H for HAM. That was the opening to a twisty rabbit hole where I searched for other similar entries. I found a few but it became clear I was on the wrong path. Instead of composing a Rabbit-worthy description of my wrong idea, I turned it into the puzzle I had been looking for in that rabbit hole.

The result is “There’s That Voice Again and Again.” You can find it at Crosshare.

https://crosshare.org/crosswords/6cLju8 ... -and-again

(Note: An earlier, flawed version of the puzzle with a slightly different title is still up on Crosshare. Ignore it.)
Last edited by Bird Lives on Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
woozy

Post by woozy »

I got this pretty immediately.

First absolutely nothing came.

Then I noticed that 48A referred to "Voice" and "voice" was in the title. So I knew it had to do with the passive voice.

I noticed some clues were in the passive voice so I counted them and there were 12 so I knew I had it. The entries and clues were useless though.

But I reread 48A it described the passive voice as obscuring the performer of an action. So I figured in all these passive clues I had to figure who was the unmentioned performer. I had to google but I got them all.

So total doing the grid... Long time: 20 minutes or more, Staring with nothing. 3 minutes. Getting an idea and confirming it was the right track. 1 minute. Coming up with the missing step. 1 minute. And spelling it out 2 minutes. So 7 minutes not counting solving the grid. Half an hour with solving the grid.

I loved this one. It was completely original but very straightforward and extremely doable. Or that's my take anyway.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Great puzzle, but alas, Delilah's role in cutting Samson's hair was passive. I only know this because of the movie Fitzwilly, which I went to see because it had Barbara Feldon in it. Dick Van Dyke's character wins a bar bet over whether Delilah cuts Samson hair. https://www.tcm.com/video/281597/fitzwi ... he-godless

For those who don't want to watch the clip, here is the bible verse:

Delilah lulled Samson to sleep with his head in her lap, and then she called in a man to shave off the seven locks of his hair. In this way she began to bring him down, and his strength left him.
Miki

Post by Miki »

Miki wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:19 pm I thought I was so clever and I solved the puzzle at 9 pm on Thursday, only to find that there are many, many more people in this group who are so much smarter and faster...kudos to all!
I was using my passive (aggressive) voice
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I was right up that alley but couldn't seem to put the pieces together.

Saw Obama in Omaha, and Lion in Loki, but didn't think to NOT do anything to the passive voices.

Arg.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:49 am The first thing I noticed was SECHS. Why a German word rather than SECTS. It must have been because Matt needed that H for HAM. That was the opening to a twisty rabbit hole where I searched for other similar entries. I found a few but it became clear I was on the wrong path. Instead of composing a Rabbit-worthy description of my wrong idea, I turned it into the puzzle I had been looking for in that rabbit hole.

The result is “There’s That Voice Again and Again.” You can find it at Crosshare.

https://crosshare.org/crosswords/6cLju8 ... -and-again

(Note: An earlier, flawed version of the puzzle with a slightly different title is still up on Crosshare. Ignore it.)
If you use SECTS the clue for CAM could be “Mitchell’s husband on Modern Family”
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

Inca wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:46 am I'm curious to know how many solved this on their own; is there any stat like that? For me puzzles like this one are impossible to solve and that makes me less inclined every week to even make an attempt. This is not in any way a judgement of the puzzle at all; it is a judgement of myself and my lack of meta-bility.
I said last week I was interested in the same. Was told most people submit when they got help. But it would be fun to see that approximate number. Personally, I never want help because it takes the joy out of that aha moment.
Lee-Ann

Post by Lee-Ann »

Two weeks in a row that I could not solve- the only two weeks of 2023. Got the twelve passive voice clues right away, but I could not figure out that second step. Congratulations to all who solved!!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Homer Buckle wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:11 am Great puzzle, but alas, Delilah's role in cutting Samson's hair was passive. . . .

Delilah lulled Samson to sleep with his head in her lap, and then she called in a man to shave off the seven locks of his hair. In this way she began to bring him down, and his strength left him.
Good catch!

My quibble is I’m not sure that Obama actually nominated Biden to be VP. I always thought the presidential nominee signals his/her choice, but someone else actually nominates, or the party votes to nominate its candidate. But after trying to google who actually made the nomination speech, I gave up and used Obama.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

(trying to think of witty passive voice comment...)