MEOW #119: The Ultimate Challenge

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
madhatter5

MEOW #119: The Ultimate Challenge

Post by madhatter5 »

Hi all and welcome to the hundred and nineteenth installment of the MEOW!

The answer to this meta is a challenge for my fellow Muggle constructors.

LYNX:
https://crossword.info/kvassword/The_Ultimate_Challenge
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link

Best of luck!

Kitten
Calico
Persian
Puma
Lion :twisted: 🦁
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Gulp! :?
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Double gulp!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well then you've succeeded in your challenge. Ten minutes in and I have not even filled in an answer. I mean I thought I was channeling my inner Josh sometimes, but it appears you are channeling your inner DrTom (in esoterica at least, I am sure the mechanism is a lot more inventive)

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MMe

Post by MMe »

Submitted...

(But you know that can mean either "sent in an answer" or "surrendered.")
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:10 am Well then you've succeeded in your challenge. Ten minutes in and I have not even filled in an answer. I mean I thought I was channeling my inner Josh sometimes, but it appears you are channeling your inner DrTom (in esoterica at least, I am sure the mechanism is a lot more inventive)

T
Yeah, I was done at Lion :twisted:
Darth

Post by Darth »

That's the way to do it, Josh! :twisted:
download (16).jpg
rjy

Post by rjy »

Wowwww... I have a couple, very tentative entries, but nothing for 52A, so I'll be parked on the sidelines as you other wizards free your felines. Enjoyed the partial journey tho, Josh!
Ray
MMe

Post by MMe »

Apropos of nothing, here is another Wednesday enigma for you.

https://crosshare.org/crosswords/wfjQHC ... frontier-7
Last edited by MMe on Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I've got the first step. My limited knowledge of certain topics may prevent further progress.
Jay
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Yikes!!!! I am having trouble even filling in the grid! 😳
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

MMe wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:55 am Apropos of nothing, here is another Wednesday enigma for you.

https://crosshare.org/crosswords/wfjQHC ... frontier-7

Meta4.jpg
I think I speak for all of us when I say, "huh?!"

(As in, "what the devil is going on today with these impossibly difficult crosswords?")
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Warning
If you're not familiar with cryptic cluing, turn back now. And even if you are familiar, these are unusual (dare I say idiosyncratic?) and difficult clues.
Jay
woozy

Post by woozy »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:51 pm Warning
If you're not familiar with cryptic cluing, turn back now. And even if you are familiar, these are unusual (dare I say idiosyncratic?) and difficult clues.
I get cryptic cluing but I don't think it helps much. The entries don't seem to be to the clues. I think some clues refer to other entries but it's not a 100 percent match.
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

The only thing that makes any sense here to me is that, yes, frankly, gravy IS amazing. I may need to order some poutine tonight.
MMe

Post by MMe »

Bird is referring to MY clues here, not madhatter's, I think. True, I should have labelled it a "crypto-meta" or some such (but it's not "a cryptic"; cryptics have certain rules, metas have ... no rules, but only norms of fairness or something; but it certainly is related to cryptics, as I would have thought any meta fan would see). And given that it is LION day (and for a certain other reason, too) it is meant to be challenging, so don't expect a breezy solve.

Edit: TWELVE! correct solvers *of the MMeta* on crosshare so far. The grid can be "reveal"ed, which will get you part way there if you're stuck -- in fact that's a good first nudge: do that and then figure out what the clues are doing. Still plenty of puzzling left to go after a grid reveal.
Last edited by MMe on Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

MMe wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:07 pm
Bird is referring to MY clues here, not madhatter's, I think. True, I should have labelled it a "crypto-meta" or some such. And given that it is LION day (and for a certain other reason, too) it is meant to be challenging, so don't expect a breezy solve. One correct solver on crosshare so far.
To be transparent: I mashed "solve" on yours. So it may not count.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Solved (confirmed)
My brain hurts.
Last edited by dudeski on Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abide

Post by Abide »

I finished the grid in 2 minutes +/- (maybe a personal best)

Now on to the meta...
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Just to state clearly, because there has been some confusion/suspicion, my meta and MME's meta are entirely different metas. Also MME is not actually me, I am not THAT evil.

But I am thrilled we have the debut of a new setter on my own little subforum
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer