49. 7 by 7

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

49. 7 by 7

Post by MikeyG »

PDF and PUZ

Crosshare

---

I'm typing this up while watching my beloved Cubbies during their first spring training game! Have to get used to that pitch clock, that's for sure!

The incomparable Will Nediger gave great feedback on this one, calling it "really elegant" and, more importantly, "ridiculous" (but in a good way). That's all you can hope for! It was not a Level 2 or 2.5 to create, but I think it should be to solve!

---

49. 7 by 7

The answer to the meta consists of two 7-letter words.

Deadline is Tuesday, March 7 at 1 pm ET.

---

Best of luck, and may all your solves be beautiful!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Meg

Post by Meg »

Fun, fun, fun! Well-constructed Mikey.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Excellent meta - Thanks Mikey!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Abide

Post by Abide »

just fantastic (4,9)
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beauty!

Mikey is getting really good at this, wouldn’t you say?
boharr

Post by boharr »

Got it and agree about Mikey. Thanks!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Very nice puzzle. Really enjoyed this one. And, I learned something new at 10A. So that was a nice bonus.
Matthew
Abide

Post by Abide »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:55 am Beauty!

Mikey is getting really good at this, wouldn’t you say?
A few more years of seasoning and maybe he could have a guest MGWCC puzzle ;)
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Solved with a nudge. I should have remembered something similar when I had the same conundrum but failed to do that.

Frustrated with this one because I consider myself a 27A. It all fit together very nicely in the end.

Great meta!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Phew, got it! Glad I stuck with it too, was tempted to solicit a nudge a few times, but the payoff was worth the repeat visits. Enjoyed the clueing too!
Ray
Darth

Post by Darth »

Nice power lifting! Way to go, Mikey!
images (26).jpg
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Darth wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:38 pm Nice power lifting! Way to go, Mikey!
My kind of exercising!

hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally got it with a lot of help from @Meg Now I know what the title means! Nicely done!
Heidi
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Will there be any nudges? Enquiring minds want to know!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:09 pm Will there be any nudges? Enquiring minds want to know!
Tomorrow, yes!

MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Muggles of the world, let's rock!

We're at 39 solvers so far, which is perhaps what I would glean for this. Maybe leans toward a Level 3, but let's see if some nudges get more on the right track!

1. This might seem like an unusual first nudge, but it's worth stating that by an absolute long-shot, this puzzle has the lowest no-help completion percentage of mine...at 3%. (The next-lowest is 20%.) There is a reason this one is harder than usual.

2. Per this puzzle being so hard, I try to be as precise as I can with my clues. But some clues were a little more vague than usual this time around.

3. Note the clue for MATHEMATICIAN in the spanner: mathematicians do a lot more than substitute quantities (certainly that's part of it!), so there must have been a reason for that.

4. There are 7 boxes in the grid, all numbered, where the letter in the blank is not the only letter that can work.

5. One of these happens to be square #1, in fact: PEA/PAM satisfies both clues, but *EA can give us another type of green...and *AM can give us another name for a popular NBC sitcom character...think back to the '80s for that one! (A lot of these clues in the grid happened to revolve around the 1980s, which was unintentional!)

6. For what it's worth, the hardest one to clue by far was 4-Across, and it's a bit of a stretch for the alternate. Will Nediger loved that clue, though, because of the way it repurposed "saucers" in the alternate *TS entry.

7. Once you have those seven squares and the seven alternate letters, that should give you what you need to figure out the 2-word phrase!

Even if you get the puzzle, feel free to check out Nudge #8 after it all:

8. It's also worth stating that these 7 numbered squares are not random! For instance, "by" is used in multiplication in math, as in "multiply 7 by 7." This would signal 49, one of the numbered squares. Also note that there are exactly 49 squares in the grid! I've already told you as well that two of the other numbered squares are 1 (1 x 1) and 4 (2 x 2). That should give us the pattern to get all seven!

I'm not the world's biggest fan of a meta where actually grokking it helps elucidate the title, as opposed the other way around, but I felt it was the most perfect title for this one.

9. I've also used both 7-letter words somewhere in Nudge #8, haha.

Best of luck! Reveal on Tuesday. Now off to solve a Pandora, a MEOW, and eventually a WSJ! Here's to a great weekend!

Mikey G

Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

MikeyG wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:23 pm

1. This might seem like an unusual first nudge, but it's worth stating that by an absolute long-shot, this puzzle has the lowest no-help completion percentage of mine...at 3%. (The next-lowest is 20%.) There is a reason this one is harder than usual.

Mikey G
I often solve on paper from the pdf then autofill the crosshare grid to plug in my meta answer. Does that skew this what you're referring to here?
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Dannyvee wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:20 pm
MikeyG wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:23 pm

Mikey G
I often solve on paper from the pdf then autofill the crosshare grid to plug in my meta answer. Does that skew this what you're referring to here?
Actually, no! This was a fun stat behind-the-scenes that shows how challenging this puzzle is. I do admit that my grids lean challenging, but there is a specific reason, in retrospect, why this one is harder than usual, regardless of how you solve it. And, in a way, that can almost be a bit of a clue!

DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Solved using up to nudge 4 darn it. What is maddening is that (1) I had the right idea (but was doing it wrong - common criticism I'm afraid) and (2) I mistakenly had the RIGHT mechanism and never went back and said to myself "hey, isn't that odd????"

Good puzzle, and Mikey continues to hone his skill. Heck, Matt might just as easily ask Mike if he could do a "Pun of a Kind" someday as opposed to the other way round.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solved with the nudges. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I can see that my interpretation of the meta clue in 27A lead me far, far astray!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: