MGWCC #769 — “Easy-Peasy”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:19 pm
KettleB wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:13 pm Question, perhaps a silly one: what do the different badges indicate? Are they all streak related?
Yes, they indicate current streak level achieved. An incorrect submission removes the badge & a player restarts at zero.
Only for 25, 50 and 100. Other badges are awarded for special achievements. Tap on a name on Matt’s leaderboard to see what badges solvers have and don’t have.
StunGun

Post by StunGun »

Thanks for the nudge!
I tried to make it into a Week 6 level of difficulty...

After that the NYT Sunday was a breeze.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Awaiting the beam. I tried very hard to make this about something else I saw.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting beam up, but I needed a nudge. So no solo solve bragging rights for me!
Last edited by benchen71 on Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Well I submitted what I suspect is the right answer. There’s one thing bothering me and maybe I am just not looking at it right. Will discuss that Tuesday afternoon. No wait Wednesday afternoon.

If I am correct will be a rare week 4 for me, so I will be super happy. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Update. On the board. Doing a happy dance!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

That certainly took me long enough! I swear, some days I feel like I've never solved a meta before in my life. My capacity to get stuck down rabbit holes and ignore the obvious is truly amazing.

Beam up requested, and yes, it was a solo solve:)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ajk

Post by ajk »

Late start due to travel. Spotted something this morning, then came back to it this evening and realized it was the path. A couple of small stumbles along the way but pretty straightforward progress after that. Awaiting beamup but confident.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:11 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:55 pm Almost forgot this was coming out today… I’ve submitted and awaiting my ONE HUNDRED badge!! Glad I saw this one quickly… woulda been a nail biter to get so close and not bring it home. Huzzah!!
@HeadinHome You almost hit the double jackpot. You missed by 1 of being #100 when you got your One Hundred badge
125. KayW 💯 02/26 - 11:58

Bob, may we label this an ⅛Kay?
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Beamed up. Really enjoyed this puzzle.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

There is no level of frustration like seeing how easily everyone else gets a puzzle you are staring blankly at. I had one rabbit hole so far and that is exactly what it proved to be, all hole no rabbit.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
three

Post by three »

DrTom wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:15 am There is no level of frustration like seeing how easily everyone else gets a puzzle you are staring blankly at. I had one rabbit hole so far and that is exactly what it proved to be, all hole no rabbit.
That is exactly how I felt until a friendly muggle came along and steered me in the right path; this one did not click for me at all. It must have been the title mocking me :oops:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Submitted and waiting (confidently) for confirmation. It was not a solo solve for me and and am pretty sure I never would have gotten there alone. That in spite of noticing two things during the grid fill and tripping over a third without ever recognizing what I had found.

I followed two long and winding rabbit holes, both of which seemed to be sure things. One of the dangers of the world wide web is that you can find convincing evidence to support nearly any position you take, whether that is political, medical or "metacal".

EDIT: Beam up confirmed.
Last edited by lbray53 on Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Submitted what has to be the answer, dang it I did what I was supposed to do three times, but did not go the step further.

Clever puzzle as one might imagine. I do not concur that it was a 2.5 though. I think it was rated appropriately or if anything a 3.5. It is just the difference in how one approached it since I thought last weeks was probably a 2 or 2.5 and many thought it was harder. After a week 1 or 2 I think all difficulty bets are off, it is what you see and what you feel.

There were NUMEROUS points in this weeks puzzle that I should have said "Hey, that doesn't seem right" but I didn't or didn't do anything with it. In hindsight, had I followed my gut, I would have solved MUCH sooner. Of course in hindsight, if I had played the lottery numbers that were announced as winners I'd be sending this from my yacht in the Mediterranean.

Awaiting confirmation but 100% sure

EDIT: In at #196 and mad that I needed help. I actually saw what I was supposed to do but did not do it until @Joe Ross gave me a well deserved boot in the butt.
Last edited by DrTom on Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

I was close but needed @lbray53 's help to push me over the line. Thanks!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Submitted, not yet confirmed.

After going down many rabbit holes, I started writing to someone delineating all the things I saw in the puzzle that were leading me nowhere. But as I was writing it, I saw something and then something else, and. . . well, you get the idea. My question is: if you write a request for a nudge but don't send it, is it still a solo solve?
Jay
KayW

Post by KayW »

144. Joe Ross ㉕ 02/26 - 14:36

It seems Joe and Bob are doing numerology this week... how GJoeROSS!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Got it finally. I had all the pieces but wrote something down wrong. The way I got home was by throwing everything away and starting with a blank piece of paper (iPad screen). Did the puzzle again and there it was. On the board.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Finally beamed up! Not sure how to rank this one. I think the difficulty was in the ambiguity or in the sheer number of possibilities for mechanism. Like all of them, once you come upon the right one the path is clear. Until then, not so much!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

KayW wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:36 pm 144. Joe Ross ㉕ 02/26 - 14:36

It seems Joe and Bob are doing numerology this week... how GJoeROSS!
Y'all need to know something about Kay...

She's mean.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Beamed up. Fun and tricky. FAT? Is that a thing? (Probably not)