"Protect UR Brand" February 24, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I just got home from a trip. I'm working on the grid but may not have time to solve the meta. Exhausted and sleep-deprived.
Isaac is pleased to see a late arrival on the ship, he was getting lonely.
I hope one of us gets to "Protect UR mug."
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Ashore.

Is there anything left at the tiki bar? I'll take that.
vandono

Post by vandono »

Took a trip out west without my personal laptop so just getting to this. This may be the fastest I've solved a meta (apart from guessing the answer the week Betty White died). I felt like I knew the mechanism with one grid entry and was pretty confident I had the solution with a second grid entry. That has never ever ever happened to me. That calls for some celebratory barrel-aged something-or-other.

Colin

Post by Colin »

Blowin’ in the wind,
Hobie on one hull - Ashore!
Like a rolling stone!
One world. One planet. One future.
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

vandono wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:17 pm Took a trip out west without my personal laptop so just getting to this. This may be the fastest I've solved a meta (apart from guessing the answer the week Betty White died). I felt like I knew the mechanism with one grid entry and was pretty confident I had the solution with a second grid entry. That has never ever ever happened to me. That calls for some celebratory barrel-aged something-or-other.
Is that the view from the top of Coit Tower?
JustAQuickThought
vandono

Post by vandono »

JAQT wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:29 pm
vandono wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:17 pm Took a trip out west without my personal laptop so just getting to this. This may be the fastest I've solved a meta (apart from guessing the answer the week Betty White died). I felt like I knew the mechanism with one grid entry and was pretty confident I had the solution with a second grid entry. That has never ever ever happened to me. That calls for some celebratory barrel-aged something-or-other.
Indeed it is!
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Ashore. I’ll have a Maker’s Mark on the rocks.
kgiano

Post by kgiano »

Ashore
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles.

Our final count is 1 very tired muggle who has been traveling staying with Isaac and 266 muggles on the shore.

Good luck to all winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

vandono wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:07 pm
Indeed it is!
Wonderful area! For a while I was fortunate enough to live close nearby, at the top of Union Street.

If you're still close to Coit Tower, and are a fan of classic B&W movies, go one block down the Filbert steps to Montgomery and turn right up the hill. On your left will be 1360 Montgomery, site of Lauren Bacall's "impossibly cute" apartment in the 1947 Bogey and Bacall classic "Dark Passage". Check out http://reelsf.com/reelsf/dark-passage-irenes-apartment
JustAQuickThought
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Ashore!
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
vandono

Post by vandono »

JAQT wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:49 pm
vandono wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:07 pm

Indeed it is!
Wonderful area! For a while I was fortunate enough to live close nearby, at the top of Union Street.

If you're still close to Coit Tower, and are a fan of classic B&W movies, go one block down the Filbert steps to Montgomery and turn right up the hill. On your left will be 1360 Montgomery, site of Lauren Bacall's "impossibly cute" apartment in the 1947 Bogey and Bacall classic "Dark Passage". Check out http://reelsf.com/reelsf/dark-passage-irenes-apartment
I'm back home now, but hopefully will have other business trips to the area. The vendor I work with is based in Santa Clara, so there's hope. I love the classic movies and will have to make a point of checking that out!
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done, Thursday; and done, two minutes later. Yeah, this one came to me pretty quick, as it has with a multitude of muggles, it seems.

PieComic12.png

TFTXWD
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Heidi
xaemama@me.com

Post by xaemama@me.com »

Hi everyone. I’m new to the group. Been doing the crosswords for a while, but the Friday one gets me a very time. Ugh. What does ashore/on shore mean??
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

xaemama@me.com wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:12 am Hi everyone. I’m new to the group. Been doing the crosswords for a while, but the Friday one gets me a very time. Ugh. What does ashore/on shore mean??
If you are on shore you have solved the meta puzzle. If you are on the ship you haven't. Check the Acapulco Lounge thread to see our curious language and tips on how to solve the puzzles!

And welcome to our crew!

Heidi
Heidi
Relic

Post by Relic »

Very busy weekend with birthdays and projects. Picked the puzzle up at 11:30ET, and came ashore at 12:30ET. Too late to submit obviously, but still a very clever and accessible puzzle from MG. BTW, today is Baroness Thatcher's (aka Maggie) 5th birthday! Happy Birthday Maggienificant!
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

I Sawzall™ (Milwaukee Electric Tool Corp) each trademark Clue™ (Parker Brothers, Inc/Hasbro, Inc) and my first instinct was that these items wouldn't want their trademarks to become genericized, or maybe there were related items that had already been genericized. That's why you trademark them, and need to protect your brand, else you may lose your trademark.

As I went through the puzzle, my free associations this week were...

LANDOLAKES
o) I don't think of a tub of butter. The tub should be margarine or oleo.
o) OLEO is close to 62A, OREO™ (National Biscuit Company, et al). First letters LOL, close to LOLA (5D)
o) Puzzle title contains Ur, commonly used in IMs. LOL would also apply.

SWEETNLOW
o) Often used for any old artifical sweetener. Don't see any connection.

FLICKR
o) A photo APP, SNAP (9A) SNAPSEED™ (Google LLC), SNAPCHAT™ (Snap Inc)?

LEDZEPPELIN
o) They're a band. Add (6A) and you get BAND AID™ (Johnson & Johnson), an example of a trademarked item that has been genericized.
o) A zeppelin™ (LUFTSCHIFFBAU ZEPPELIN, GmbH?) was an airship. No connection there to the puzzle I can see

NORML
o) Never hoid of it. Does it stand for a person's name, something like Norman Lasticova? [I've since learned it's an ancronym - No need to explain]

SNOCAT
o) A snowmobile. Both SKI-DOO™ (Bombardier Recreational Products, Inc), or JET SKI™ (Kawasaki) could apply here (14A)

STAGREEN
o) Fertilizer. Can't come up with a generic.

Okay, what other brand names are in the puzzle?

CHANEL™ (Chanel, Inc)
OREO™ (Previously mentioned)
TETLEY™ (Tetley USA Inc)
NANOS™? (Apple Inc)
DISNEY™ (Disney Enterprises, Inc)
HOPI -> iHOP™ (IHOP Restaurants LLC)

Even more in the clues, didn't bother to look.

Didn't have more time to look at it the rest of Thursday, nor Friday before the Zoom™ (Zoom Video Communications, Inc) session. Joined, and I was the only non-solver! Ruh-roh, Rorge.

I was gently led into the good night by the always fun, always entertaining conference.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20230224-WSJCC-Protect UR Brand-reveal.png
Berto

Post by Berto »

Shame there was no appearance in the puzzle for the Scotch VHS tape skeleton… https://media.tenor.com/GsDDV8TRpnMAAAA ... o-tape.gif