MEOW #117: Dude, Where's My Card?

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
woozy

Post by woozy »

madhatter5 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:01 pm Sorry about the tough fill guys.
Hey. It was fun! Really, really fun.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I think I have followed the twisted mind of the madhatter, but only because I believe mind has much the same twist. I pondered and pondered and then suddenly a light bulb went on. I do not know that I solved it, but I did submit an answer I like and am waiting to hear.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

The cat is free at last!
rjy

Post by rjy »

madhatter5 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:01 pm Sorry about the tough fill guys.
I reject your apology, Josh!

It's nice to occasionally get grids that are equal in weight to the meta challenge, rather than a quick opening act to the main event.

(... that said, I'm still struggling with the main event here!)
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

It's tricksy for sure, but I have been notified by the Madhatter himself that I have released the feline!

cat on a roll.jpg
Thank GOD! I thought I was going to unravel in here.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Nudges, woozy style

What do you do with a bridge?
What do you do with a bridge bridge?
What did I do with the clues clues?
If you can't feed the wombat blueberries, don't even try not even once.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
rjy

Post by rjy »

Got it with nudge 2... phew! Had gotten absolutely nowhere with this. Kudos to those who got this nudgelessly! TFTP, Josh!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

Wow. I don't understand *any* of the nudges.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

oooof. It’s been a week, work-wise. Just now catching up on all the fine Muggle metas for the week… will give this a try!
The other Wendy. :roll:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

woozy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:47 pm Wow. I don't understand *any* of the nudges.
yep… I’m with you. What the what??
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I got an answer that had to be right, but I couldn't backsolve to find the mechanism. The one step that I found had to be part of it, but I didn't see how. Turns out I was trying to overthink it.
Jay
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

No printer access on vacation, so based on the PDF, I sketched myself out a rather wobbly grid that I just filled in -- (and I'm pretty proud I got that far!)
Will look some more tomorrow during my non-mad dog or Englishmen out of the midday sun time -- but if not, I'll probably have to check this bagged cat on our return flight on Monday! :P
Untitledthirdclasscat.png
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh! Now, I get the nudges! Might seem dense but when asked "What do you do with a bridge? " I honestly didn't know. "Bid on it? Trump it? Build it? Drive a car on it? Sell it to a rube from Iowa?" I really didn't have it
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges haven't helped. Looking forward to seeing the answer reveal to see what I've missed!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Got it with the help of @DrTom ... turns out I was trying to make this one of those where you actually have to DO something solvy to get the answer! Don't do mental gymnastics, just look everything over and read the nudges and think like a madhatter. ; )
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I've submitted an answer that just might release that darn cat! And just in time, too. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

The answer was DOUBLE-CROSSED.

Because you cross a bridge. So a duplicate bridge is double crossed.

I crossed out the doubles in the clues.

Some of you were not too keen on the fact that you just needed one grid answer to get the meta. Which is a fair point I suppose.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
woozy

Post by woozy »

I was having trouble with it and wanted to overthink it. But the crossed-out clues spelled "It's a gestalt" which made me think it wouldnt be a direct spelling but maybe... the black space form a shape? Look for thinks that aren't there? I struggled for a while and went over the prompt again and again thinking how we'd feel if our partner showed our hand. Annoyed? Angry? Sad? Frustrated? Down in the dumps?

Then I turned it around and asked why would our partner show our hand? If it was intentional she wants the other team to when and I'd feel.... betrayed.

Oh.... you cross a bridge! I didn't get that.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I was also looking for the double letters in the grid to cross. It happened twice with the EEs but not with the LLs.
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

When will the solution be posted? Curious (and idiotic) minds want to know, lol!
Seattle DB