"Take A Number" - October 25, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

I would say this one was a nice challenge, about on the edge where I feel comfortable. Even though I found the path I still had to feel around in the dark a bit. When I got to the end of solving the meta, I was confused, but then it clicked.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

I am also with 49 across.

Hope I don't have to take a number to get a drink...
Rufus T. Firefly
Inca

Post by Inca »

KayW wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:27 am
I too am stuck at a "seeing 80%" point. I'll be curious to find out on Monday if it is the same 80%. I hope to follow you the rest of the way and then to the beach soon! I have a busy out-of-town weekend ahead of me so I'll have to rely on my subconscious to pop out a solution when I least expect it.
I have complete faith that you will be right next to me on the beach. Reserving a spot for you.
KayW

Post by KayW »

I had to struggle through some back-solving surf, but I arrived at a solution that's entirely justifiable. At first I thought I was on the shaky ground of a sandbar, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. And I dare say it's 100% looking at all aspects.... that I can't discuss until Monday.

Count me on shore! Very clever.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning muggles.

Mr Gaffney raised the bar this week over the past couple of months, following the lead of Mike/Marie

So far we have 42 on the shore and 8 keeping Isaac company.

Good luck to all getting to the shore
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

On shore.

The grid alone was a beautiful puzzle aesthetically, and the mechanism was elegant.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Clever puzzle. Rather Gaffney-esque, but in the end a 100%-er. I had to look one item up just to be sure.
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Grid done, must pause to work. Hoping inspiration strikes, as I don't have an immediate idea for this one.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Switching my status to done and done.

Pulled my head back out of the rabbit hole I was looking at. Took another look at my twenty-seven 8-by-10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one. Went back to, well, the beginning, and decided that all the signs definitely pointed to right where I was. Finally realized there were no side passages in the rabbit hole and the rabbit would be right there - and all I had to do was reach in and grab him.

Can't believe I had looked at what I found earlier and didn't see it.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Darryl H.

Post by Darryl H. »

two for two with the MGWCC going down! Gonna enjoy the beach this weekend (as the rain continues to pound the South).
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Lost at sea. Found some promising bits, but nothing has panned out yet. Whenever there is a meta involving numbers, I get intimidated. (Heidi)
Heidi
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

ashore.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I'm with (Heidi), et Alia, wearing out Isaac by having him pull ambers. Confident of & looking forward to putting a hurt on Tom Wilson's supply of Yuengling/Hershey Chocolate Porter, once the tiki bar is reached.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Lost at sea.
Cynthia
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

On Shore. We were glad to catch the last tender to shore in time for the evening luau on the beach. We thought this was a clever construction and very satisfying to sort out.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

BarbaraK wrote: โ†‘Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 am Nah, much more fun to think that weโ€™re all brilliant ๐Ÿ˜€
I know that was tongue in cheek but not far from the truth. The brain power here is daunting. Brilliant and brilliantly collegial!
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
ArnoldMBrockman

Post by ArnoldMBrockman »

I Believe I'm Onshore= Complicated Answer-Does Anyone Else.Have This Problem. My Answer Is I Believe Correct ! Howev
er......
Janet

Post by Janet »

Hmmm. Spotted a likely rabbit, but one of the clues eluded me until a minute ago. I think I have the answer -- if not, it's a weird coincidence.
I'll have a goodbye drink with Isaac while I think some more.
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

On shore. I really liked this one!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Itโ€™s interesting. My wife and I got to the correct answer by taking different paths.