Alternate Endings - 2/19/2023

Available by emailing a request to PandorasBlocksWMC[at]gmail[dot]com, these meta puzzles are distributed by email every Sunday. Pandora's Blocks crosswords are intended to spread the popularity of meta crosswords, however, they are not just for beginners and run the gamut it terms of difficulty.
damefox

Alternate Endings - 2/19/2023

Post by damefox »

Puzzle #81: Alternate Endings
Difficulty: Challenging
The answer to this week's meta is a movie with an alternate ending.
No Googling necessary.
Crosshare link: https://crosshare.org/crosswords/AnSbOL ... te-endings
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Dino me!

Beauty! Pressed a bit for time today, I requested a nudge from Will, and it confirmed I was on the right track. Given the nudge, though, I’ve asked Will to remove me from consideration for any prize he may award.

Loved this one!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Had to get confirmation from Will that I was indeed on the right track. That was a tricky one!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Dino me.
Great puzzle!
MMe

Post by MMe »

Wow.

Has Will guest constructed for MGWCC yet? If no, this would be about as good an audition as you could have.

Edit: yes he has, in each of the last two Julys.
PuzNewbie

Post by PuzNewbie »

Hi, I've never solved a Pandora's Blocks meta before. Is there a place where I can see solutions to previous puzzles so I can get a sense of possible strategies? Thanks very much for any info you have.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

PuzNewbie wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:40 pm Hi, I've never solved a Pandora's Blocks meta before. Is there a place where I can see solutions to previous puzzles so I can get a sense of possible strategies? Thanks very much for any info you have.
Welcome!

All previous solutions (except for the last 3 weeks or so) are currently available on https://pandorasblocks.org/metapuzzles . Just click the "Download Solution" button on the page for whatever puzzle you're working on!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

MMe wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:23 pm Wow.

Has Will guest constructed for MGWCC yet? If no, this would be about as good an audition as you could have.

Edit: yes he has, in each of the last two Julys.
Thanks! And yes - I'm super grateful for Matt for those opportunities! He's a really wonderful person to work with!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
PuzNewbie

Post by PuzNewbie »

Thank you so much for the information! After looking through many previous puzzles, I realized that I've started on a "challenging" puzzle as my first intro into your metas. I'll give it a go and hope for the best... but look forward to some easier metas being posted in the future (along with the solution to Alternate Endings)! Thanks again! :)
AnswerPfinder wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:43 pm
PuzNewbie wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:40 pm Hi, I've never solved a Pandora's Blocks meta before. Is there a place where I can see solutions to previous puzzles so I can get a sense of possible strategies? Thanks very much for any info you have.
Welcome!

All previous solutions (except for the last 3 weeks or so) are currently available on https://pandorasblocks.org/metapuzzles . Just click the "Download Solution" button on the page for whatever puzzle you're working on!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

This one's going to require some nudges, I'm afraid... :?
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
boharr

Post by boharr »

Needed help prying the box open but open it did. Whew. Thanks, Will.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Got a much needed nudge from Meg via Will. I had the right idea but wasn't executing it properly. Great but tricky puzzle!
Heidi
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

DINO ME! I had to let this one simmer for a bit. I had the right idea early but it took some time to get everything in focus. It meshed nicely together in the end.

I am very pleased that I did not need a nudge. Other than my wife saying that lunch was almost ready.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Dino me!! 🦕

I spent way too long in a deep rabbit hole, but a kindly muggle pulled me out and set me on the right path. Very enjoyable once I got going. Thanks, Will. Nicely done!
Cindy Heisler
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Dino me! Very clever puzzle (needed a bit of a nudge from @boharr to get on the right track).
Matthew
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Whew! Heidi had to remind me to do what we always should do and finally I did it but still needed a final push from the @AnswerPfinder himself. Great puzzle and fun reveal moment.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Wow! After a week full of stumpers, it felt good to finally push through and get one on my own. I took a lot of missteps along the way, but once I got the right thread, things really started to lock in. Thanks for the fun puzzle, Will!
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

It took a nudge to get me onto the right platform and then a second nudge to direct me back to a track I’d already glanced at but abandoned too quickly. But I got where I needed to be in the end.

Great puzzle!
KayW

Post by KayW »

I needed help to get to the ALTERNATE ENDING. And as usual, kicking myself for missing what should have been obvious. Great meta, Will. Thanks!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Out of the box, finally! Once I finally got out of my own way, I got it - thanks for the puzzle, Will - a challenge and very fun, too.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com