MGWCC #768 — “Second Look”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Orsys

Post by Orsys »

Could use a nudge? I see a couple of things but nothing leads anywhere yet.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Awaiting transporter beam. Seems Scotty's stepped out of the transporter room to share in that 5th @Joe Ross was talking about (can you blame him?) as I've been standing here for hours. Hope I'm on the right communicator frequency...

I did submit a couple of "alternate" answers in the comments. Not serious ones. Funny what you can come up with when you aren't quite sure about one last element of the metanism.

EDIT: Successfully beamed up.
Last edited by HunterX on Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:30 pm "I am not sure why non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs affect blood pressure and renal function; I know it involves prostaglandin inhibition but I'm not clear why that affects an individual as it does?".
Funny, but as a retired banker, that specific question never actually crossed my mind. Now I'll be pondering it for the rest of the day. Probably will give me a headache. Wondering if I can take something for the resulting cranial discomfort...
itaipines

Post by itaipines »

Solved as a team with my wife and son, many thanks to ky-mike for the help.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

:P
HunterX wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:09 pm
Funny, but as a retired banker, that specific question never actually crossed my mind. Now I'll be pondering it for the rest of the day. Probably will give me a headache. Wondering if I can take something for the resulting cranial discomfort...
Hunter: Think of this as you and I discussing 404 SOX compliance.

It's exactly like that, but not at all.

Pharmacologists discuss NSAID impact on renal functions over a beer, at parties, which is why we don't go to pharmacologist parties.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:10 am
Bird Lives wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:03 am
Joe Ross wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:41 am I'd like to concur with the party of the fourth part and share a fifth with any party willing.
That must be one of those "worth going to" parties that Will referred to in his Sunday puzzle -- a meaning for that three-letter entry that I was totally unaware of.
I teach Gen Z, so I did know this, haha.
I don't get out much. I've heard it used for a person at the party, especially one who has shared a lot of that fifth, but not for the party itself.
Jay
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HoldThatThought wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:45 pm :P

Pharmacologists discuss NSAID impact on renal functions over a beer, at parties, which is why we don't go to pharmacologist parties.
Ah... Sarbanes-Oxley. Now there's a real party starter! And whenever I turned that topic around to how my spreadsheets aided centralized data collection to prove compliance, well, I was the life of the party.

Okay, more accurately, I was the only one awake at the party.

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 5.58.54 PM.png
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

HunterX wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:02 pm
HoldThatThought wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:45 pm :P

Ah... Sarbanes-Oxley. Now there's a real party starter! And whenever I turned that topic around to how my spreadsheets aided centralized data collection to prove compliance, well, I was the life of the party.

Okay, more accurately, I was the only one awake at the party.

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 5.58.54 PM.png

Who doesn't like a hearty discussion about internal controls?
firefly

Post by firefly »

I think I know what the first step has to be, but it's not leading me anywhere. Anyone available to offer a nudge?
burak

Post by burak »

I have the first couple of steps, which I'm pretty sure gave me half the answer. This is an interesting spot because I know I've almost tied the shoe but now it's a Gordian knot.
runart

Post by runart »

HUGE thanks to Dr Tom, Cindy H, and Mountain Man Zach for nudges in recent weeks with the MGWCC!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Solo solve.
It took a couple of looks. And then some.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

ky-mike wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:41 pm
Who doesn't like a hearty discussion about internal controls?
PkWLf8nQ4l8ytPiXDC3+HxoUju3J6yMAAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC.png
Rare, unpublished photo of investment bankers and urologists attending the 2023 Best Practices in Internal Controls conference at Harvard
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Toughest Week 3 since NIGHTMARES (155) back in June. Just an epiphany that I saw it early on, but the way SAW AGAIN was framed, I went down a movie rabbit hole for a while.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

It took me some effort to justify the ordering of the ten letters even though I saw what the answer had to be. I eventually saw that it would work if I put each 5 letter set in the order of the clue numbers for the "with" clues/answers, without regard to whether they were Acrosses or Downs. I don't recall seeing that technique before - noted for future reference.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We were so close... But because I wrote down Humberto in our notes instead of Umberto... We couldn't closel the deal... A big fat DOH on this one. I guess I am happy we at least got the "first look"... If not the second. It is sad because 2 muggles tried to help us on the last step.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

This one finally came to me (after some nudges) several hours after the deadline. At least in my heart I know I solved, even if the leaderboard disagrees!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Matt sometimes likes to play around with crossword conventions. I seem to recall a puzzle of his that did something similar with "say" in the clues. It meant what it usually does ("for example"), but it also had a meta-related meaning.
Jay
TMart

Post by TMart »

DCBilly wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:55 pm It took me some effort to justify the ordering of the ten letters even though I saw what the answer had to be. I eventually saw that it would work if I put each 5 letter set in the order of the clue numbers for the "with" clues/answers, without regard to whether they were Acrosses or Downs. I don't recall seeing that technique before - noted for future reference.
The ordering seemed to be in grid order of the first word of each pair, with the ten letters coming first from the second word of each pair (based on the grid order of the first word), and then from the indicated grid words in the same order (sounds simple, right?! :lol: ). Not conventional, and if I hadn't happened to have written it down that way, I never would have seen it. Pretty intricately designed meta.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC 768-Second Look-REVEAL.png

(Many heartfelt apologies for posting this 21+ hours late.)