MGWCC #768 — “Second Look”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #768 — “Second Look”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #768 — Saturday, February 18th, 2023 — “Second Look”

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

This week’s contest answer, which is 10 letters long, is what you’ll need to use to solve the meta.

NOTE: Due to the delayed post, the deadline for submitting entries this week is Wednesday, February 22nd, at noon ET.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

Matt

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?:
MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page.
A subscription costs $3/month.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

I’m not sure why Matt doesn’t just make this a Saturday puzzle. It would give him extra time to prepare it and would give solvers the ability to more accurately block out time for working on it.
MMe

Post by MMe »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:18 pm I’m not sure why Matt doesn’t just make this a Saturday puzzle. It would give him extra time to prepare it and would give solvers the ability to more accurately block out time for working on it.
Sure, if you want to get the puzzles on Sundays...
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:18 pm I’m not sure why Matt doesn’t just make this a Saturday puzzle. It would give him extra time to prepare it and would give solvers the ability to more accurately block out time for working on it.
Puzzles are still 7 days apart. Not sure if the day of the week difference matters. I am surprised that Matt doesn't have a few puzzles ready to go that he could pull from. I have never created a crossword puzzle, so I don't know what effort it takes to prepare. I would guess, though, that the week 3-4-5 puzzles are much more difficult to prepare than the week 1-2 puzzles.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Just from looking at Daily Crossword Links it appears that Matt does a Sunday-Thursday crossword for the Daily Beast, a Friday puzzle for The Week and every other week he does the WSJ a meta. Unless I am missing some others it appears that the hole in his schedule is Saturday. I also have no idea how long puzzles take to create, especially really creative ones like his late-month offerings, but since it has become common for Friday puzzles to slip to Saturday it may just easier, for both Matt and the solvers, to make the MGWCC a Saturday puzzle.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Thanks, @MattGaffney, for the shout out! There have been a few new successful solvers, already. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Abide

Post by Abide »

I think I have a solid answer but can't make it 100%. Very frustrating.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Abide wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:37 pm I think I have a solid answer but can't make it 100%. Very frustrating.
I have whole milk but can't make it 2%.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

oldjudge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:18 pm Just from looking at Daily Crossword Links it appears that Matt does a Sunday-Thursday crossword for the Daily Beast, a Friday puzzle for The Week and every other week he does the WSJ a meta. Unless I am missing some others it appears that the hole in his schedule is Saturday. I also have no idea how long puzzles take to create, especially really creative ones like his late-month offerings, but since it has become common for Friday puzzles to slip to Saturday it may just easier, for both Matt and the solvers, to make the MGWCC a Saturday puzzle.
I've also seen his puzzles (larger grids) in New York Magazine. I don't know how often he does those because I don't go to the dentist all that often.
Jay
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I think I have step one but now what?
Heidi
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I have to go with it. With apologies to Ivory soap, I'm 99.44% certain. Wish me luck on the beaming!

markhr

Post by markhr »

In at #9. Solid week 3 puzzle.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

markhr wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:34 pm In at #9. Solid week 3 puzzle.
Right behind the person who's right behind you at #11!

Not sure how the floodgates opened for me on this one, but they somehow managed to. Clever and fun!

Berto

Post by Berto »

Got hung up on an incorrect assumption but finally ironed out the kink. Waiting nervously for the beam…

EDIT
Wowsers. Not sure I’ve made the top 100 before let alone top 20. Saturday effect maybe…
Last edited by Berto on Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Submitted. I am pretty confident after taking a second look at it.

Edit #16
woozy

Post by woozy »

I am literally half there. Unless I'm in a rabbit hole. But that a solid half.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Abide wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:37 pm I think I have a solid answer but can't make it 100%. Very frustrating.
I’m with you 100%!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Beamed with the help of the Discord hive. I might nominate the last step for SAD status all on its own. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!

Like others, I wasn’t 100% sure, but confident enough to submit. I was correct, but there may still be a fine point I’m missing.
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

On the board, also thanks to nudges from the hive mind.