"The Woman in White" February 17, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

Not bragging (ok I’m bragging) but I just got the email that I am the winner for this weeks contest. There were over 2,450 entries this week.

Made my day.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:12 am Instead of just writing about my favorite rabbit hole this week, I decided to try to turn it into another meta.

https://crosshare.org/crosswords/MEXu1x ... sj-contest
Well that was fun, @BarbaraK !
Great job
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

aaugusti wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:31 pm Not bragging (ok I’m bragging) but I just got the email that I am the winner for this weeks contest. There were over 2,450 entries this week.

Made my day.
@aaugusti Congratulations. When the mug comes, we expect a family picture. And who gets the credit - you or Kasia?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

aaugusti wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:31 pm Not bragging (ok I’m bragging) but I just got the email that I am the winner for this weeks contest. There were over 2,450 entries this week.

Made my day.
Woo hoo!! Congratulations!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
aaugusti

Post by aaugusti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:48 pm

Made my day.
@aaugusti Congratulations. When the mug comes, we expect a family picture. And who gets the credit - you or Kasia?
It was truly a team effort. I start the grid, then pass it off to her. She usually gets most of it from there and we jointly finish it off.

She saw the four names in the theme, and I immediately said “those are 1st ladies“ and being a history major in college knew who the corresponding presidents were. My first inkling was to take the number of the president and put the rest together.

I will say that Aria is excited that daddy’s name will be in the newspaper.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Would have admired this meta even more if the letter in numbered square 16 were an “M” as opposed to a “V”.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Jeffrey wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:59 pm Would have admired this meta even more if the letter in numbered square 16 were an “M” as opposed to a “V”.
Why an M? Her middle name was Virginia
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:12 am Instead of just writing about my favorite rabbit hole this week, I decided to try to turn it into another meta.

I’ve been experimenting a bit with making crosswords. So far they haven’t been good enough to share. And honestly this one isn’t either. I should have either tossed it or taken more time to work on the rough spots and get help from an experienced constructor. But by then it would have been ancient history, so here it is.

Apologies for the ugly spots. I won’t be offended if you just hit reveal there or anywhere.
The puzzle rises to the occasion and goes the WSJ a step better. The MMM awaits your subsequent efforts.
Jay
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Made my day.
Congratulations!
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

rsz_bunnyspot_headinhand.png

Mr. Shenk’s “The Woman in White” puzzle was pretty straightforward. The first names of four US First Ladies were found among the anchor across entries. From there it was a matter of associating each with the number of their husband’s presidency and in order of their appearance in the puzzle, 37-34-40-43, making note of the letters in those squares: B-E-S-S (Truman).

Rabbit holes? Very few, actually. Some Muggles took a long look at the maiden names of the women involved…or their political party… or the “every-third-President” sequence. Still, by and large, life was pretty boring for your Rabbit this week. No nominees … and you know what that means … it means the Rabbit must dig deep into his files of nostalgia for something to fill the gap.

Will it be another Carmen Miranda video? That would be the easy way out for your Rabbit.

Instead, how about this? It’s one of the greatest pranks ever perpetrated on television viewers. Originally broadcast for the BBC in 1957 this short documentary was first introduced to American audiences by Jack Paar (remember him?). What does that have to do with First Ladies, you ask? Absolutely nothing, but it’s funny and entertaining – and that’s good enough for Your Rabbit.
Enjoy! Until next week, then.

SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:28 pm

I’ve been experimenting a bit with making crosswords. So far they haven’t been good enough to share. And honestly this one isn’t either. I should have either tossed it or taken more time to work on the rough spots and get help from an experienced constructor. But by then it would have been ancient history, so here it is.

Apologies for the ugly spots. I won’t be offended if you just hit reveal there or anywhere.
The puzzle rises to the occasion and goes the WSJ a step better. The MMM awaits your subsequent efforts.
O.K. I just worked the grid on Crosshare. Now; how do I go back and look at it to study and see if I can solve the meta? As soon as I competed the grid, it disappeared.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

SewYoung wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:25 am
Bird Lives wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:28 pm

O.K. I just worked the grid on Crosshare. Now; how do I go back and look at it to study and see if I can solve the meta? As soon as I competed the grid, it disappeared.
The big X in the top right corner will take you back to your completed grid. And from there, the speech bubble icon will bring back the submission form.

mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

I view my weekly expectation of an email informing me that I’ve won the mug the same way Samuel Johnson viewed remarriage— the triumph of hope over experience.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

aaugusti wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:21 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:48 pm

Made my day.
It was truly a team effort. I start the grid, then pass it off to her. She usually gets most of it from there and we jointly finish it off.

She saw the four names in the theme, and I immediately said “those are 1st ladies“ and being a history major in college knew who the corresponding presidents were. My first inkling was to take the number of the president and put the rest together.

I will say that Aria is excited that daddy’s name will be in the newspaper.
@aaugusti I can see that mug going into school for show and tell when you get it.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Re: Spaghetti Harvest video... I bought a bottle of Praline Flavored Maple Syrup and the list of ingredients included "Natural Praline Flavor" I sent a message to the "Garden Mama" which is a radio program in Mississippi that answers gardening questions asking how to grow Pralines. I had no idea that they occurred in nature! I want to grow some. If I get a good harvest, I could be rich...
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is BESS TRUMAN. The four longest Across answers end with the first names of first ladies: PAT Nixon, MAMIE Eisenhower, NANCY Reagan, LAURA Bush. As suggested by the clue for MARY (“Lincoln, who was wife of the 16th president”), the letters in the grid squares numbered with the numbers of the respective presidents, in order, spell the first name of the contest answer.

​A big Presidents' Weekend turnout: We had 2452 entries, about 58% correct (plus another 109 that were arguably close enough, with BESS).

​Lots of other first ladies in the answer box, starting with BARBARA BUSH, with 203. Plus LOU HOOVER (87), BETTY FORD (79), ELEANOR ROOSEVELT (27), MARTHA WASHINGTON (20) and JILL BIDEN (16), among several others. Plus entries from outside the White House included CLARA BARTON (22) and MARILYN MONROE (not James's wife, 10). ​

Congratulations to this week's winner--a Muggle, as noted above: Drew Augustine of Northville, Mich.!
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Just curious, would “Elizabeth Virginia Truman” been an acceptable answer as well? And how about “Bess V Truman” also, since the “V” was in box 16?
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh... it was presidents day?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

Ergcat wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:32 am
OliviaL wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:27 am On shore! It’s been awhile since I’ve had a chance to solve so I owe you all an update on our travels. My husband, our dog and I finally made it to the “end of the world” after one year driving from the Georgia, USA to Ushuaia, Argentina!! We are in Buenos Aires now enjoying a month of down time before we head back to the states and back to reality…
@OliviaL what an awesome adventure! I was just in Ushuaia 2 weeks ago but I went via cruise ship headed for Antarctica! We took a tour to the end of the world/Pan American Hwy aka Rte. #3 ( see photo) and my husband commented how he would like to drive it all from Alaska to Ushuaia! Probably never going to happen but we loved seeing your photo! Enjoy Buenos Aires ( loved it —that was the end of our cruise then we flew back to ATL) . Safe travels!
We took a picture at that same sign! Small world. Antarctica would be a dream. We couldn’t do it this time around since we have our dog with us, but hopefully one day..! I bet you both had a blast.
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:31 am
OliviaL wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:27 am On shore! It’s been awhile since I’ve had a chance to solve so I owe you all an update on our travels. My husband, our dog and I finally made it to the “end of the world” after one year driving from the Georgia, USA to Ushuaia, Argentina!! We are in Buenos Aires now enjoying a month of down time before we head back to the states and back to reality…
@OliviaL - two things - make sure that you have a steak down by the waterfront in Buenos Aires. Best steak I have ever had and it puts Texas to shame. Also did you play golf at the most southernly golf course in the world outside Ushuaia?
We have been in steak heaven. We will have to do our final celebratory meal by the waterfront. Thanks for the recommendation! We missed the most southernly golf course, but we did get some good hikes in!