MGWCC #767 — “Team Exercises”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I was worried until I wasn't. Got to this very late, but beam me up!
Heidi
woozy

Post by woozy »

Katiedid wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:25 pm

UPDATE: Oh, gosh. Any thinking is overthinking.
So... you're saying it is the Penguins?

Seriously, I can't do any less thinking.

EDIT: Okay, if it's what I think it is, it requires a lot of *different* thinking. But a lot of it. But ***VERY*** different style of thinking.

EDIT2: Oh, all right....don't overthink it is good advice

EDIT3: Uh-oh. There I'm not. ... Not sure how it can be anything else.....

EDIT4: Some programming oversight. A confirmation with another muggle and an email to Matt and I was manually lifted up and seated on the craft.
Last edited by woozy on Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Submitted not-so confidently. Hoped for more of a click

Edit: Beamed up!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Absolutely baffled by this. I've eliminated 5 of the teams due to *reasons* so I'm down to only 27 choices.

And although I read plenty about NFL history when I was younger, the tidbit about the 2nd long answer was new to me. They were bought by and collapsed into Roy Rogers in the early 80s. I guess he did much better than Billy Sims BBQ and Herman Moore's That's Amoore gourmet sandwich shops.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beam me up!
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

In order to solve this, you will obviously need to know the names of the NFL teams. Here's a handy list: https://www.rookieroad.com/football/nfl-teams/

Other than this, you don't need to know a touchdown from a plane landing, a blitz from a bad hangover, a red dog from Clifford, or a quarterback from the payphone find you're still talking about from 1973.

Having said all this - one of the worst meta puzzle experiences you can have is the one where everyone else seems to be making believe that the answer is SO FREAKING OBVIOUS. Deep breaths. Walk away, clear your head. You're probably already nuts enough, don't make it worse.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Soon to be beamed up.

Edit: #111
Last edited by ky-mike on Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abide

Post by Abide »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:06 pm
one of the worst meta puzzle experiences you can have is the one where everyone else seems to be making believe that the answer is SO FREAKING OBVIOUS. Deep breaths. Walk away, clear your head. You're probably already nuts enough, don't make it worse.
This is great advice. And as a reminder, the mods ask solvers to be careful about posting potential spoilerish comments about what may or not be relevant. (That's what PMs are for ;) )
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We are hoping to beam up. 🤞
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam up! This Aussie was quite pleased to solve a US-sports-themed one. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DUH - as they said don't overthink it.

The BCD and MM team got it. BCD got the concept but fumbled the ball and MM carried it over the goal line.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Awaiting transport. Yeah, overthinking doesn’t help with this one.

I guess giving a shout out to your favorite team in the match-up tomorrow but adding that it isn’t a meta-spoiler would be much less spoiler-ish than saying you can’t say which team you want to win because it would be a spoiler. (Better to eliminate 2 of the possible teams rather than eliminating all but 2 of the teams).

But given where I’m from, my choice should be obvious, for tomorrow at least.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Beamed up, but needed a nudge.
Cindy Heisler
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beamed, #77.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

A team exercise all the way to get solving buddy and me beamed up last night.
That got this non- sporting gal some street creds for the big game today.
(Front and center for the commercials)
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Joe wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:37 pm Am I doomed if I know next to nothing about sports?
My question exactly. I see theme entries, most of which I’ve never heard of or at least remember hearing of. Hope this doesn’t spell the end of my streak… so close to 100. :?

Update — I have a guess, but very nervous about it since it’s not what I’d call a ringer. Could be a coincidence. Hmmm….

@Wendy Walker held my hand as I submitted. Appreciate it.
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wow, don't overthink it...that is annoyingly vague (in the realm of "Pay attention to the Title", and "The prompt is important") and perfectly true. I got a nudge from Cinny that was subtle but illuminating. Submitted and waiting but I am certain that is the correct answer.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe

Post by Joe »

With a small nudge from boharr, I made it.

That was a strange combo of "Well, that couldn't possibly be easier" and "There is no way on earth I would have gotten it without help."
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Okay so I have an answer. I don’t love it, but it can’t be anything else. I presume verifying with someone before submitting counts as a nudge / team solve? Is there anything to be gained from submitting solo (from a streak perspective)?? Oh I’m just gonna go for it, it has to be…

Edit: beamed. :roll: