MGWCC #767 — “Team Exercises”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

At a loss so far, but it seems like it should be easy enough to eventually get.

Edit: so many rabbit holes…
Last edited by sharkicicles on Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Berto wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:31 pm Okay so I have an answer. I don’t love it, but it can’t be anything else. I presume verifying with someone before submitting counts as a nudge / team solve? Is there anything to be gained from submitting solo (from a streak perspective)?? Oh I’m just gonna go for it, it has to be…

Edit: beamed. :roll:
Yes, any discussion before submitting does make it a non-solo solve.

Streaks and leaderboards are not affected by whether or not your solve is solo.

Traditionally, at the end of the year, Matt sends prizes to anyone who solves at least 48 out of the 52 metas, and 48+ solos gets a better prize than 48+ with some non-solos included. That’s really the only thing the solo status affects.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Wow. Given that I needed a 64 point boldface type nudge to get this one I may not submit. All i can say is that my brain does not go from point A to point Pluto as needed to solve this one in under a hundred years on my own.
KayW

Post by KayW »

FINALLY saw something and submitted. :fingers_crossed: :fingers_crossed:

EDIT: beamed! :football: :alien: :flying_saucer:
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:11 am With a small nudge from boharr, I made it.

That was a strange combo of "Well, that couldn't possibly be easier" and "There is no way on earth I would have gotten it without help."
Completely agree. I imagine I will still have that red mark on my forehead days from now. I have GOT to stop putting that much force into those "Dope Slaps".
DOH.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Still totally at a loss, this one's probably going to break the little streak I had going. I'm not sure how much more time I want to spend on a sports puzzle — googling gets exhausting after a while. I'd take a nudge, if anyone has one to offer.

Edit: Thank you for the nudges! Muggle people are the best people!
Last edited by schmidzy on Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
three

Post by three »

Looking for a friendly nudge (or punch in the face at this point) as I have yet to find anything.

Edit: I was appropriately smacked in the face.
Last edited by three on Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Matt hasn't updated since yesterday afternoon, but I'm pretty sure I've got it, thanks to a perfectly pitched nudge.
Jay
Kwyjibo

Post by Kwyjibo »

I've got 4 equally weak possible answers.

Hopefully, Mr. Sandman tells me which one to submit tommorrow.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Beamed up.....

I dug a hole deep enough that there was no way I was going to see the mechanism.....had the slap myself upside the head after a friendly nudge allowed me to climb out of the hole and see it. (facepalm) extraordinaire.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Survived last night's Zoom without receiving a nudge. The Zoom crowd is to be commended.

Knowing it was a SAD meta, I revisited the puzzle a dozen+ times the last few days before this morning's AHA!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Solved downs-only, no-instructions, tho with the gentlest of nudges. Submitted at literally the 11th hour... phew!
Ray
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

49ers_767.gif
-Tamara
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Ugh. A sneaky act of sabotage on those of us who love letters and hate numbers.
Abide

Post by Abide »

@BrennerTJ The SADness just exudes from that reveal. Love it!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Held off on submitting for a bit because I couldn't see any relevance to the title. And then I did.