"Backdrops" February 2,2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
littlepigeon

Post by littlepigeon »

welp i'm so much still stuck out there with isaac that ... wait..... am i becoming isaac.... ? ... no longer able to tell us apart, we're both such permanent fixtures on the ship at this point....

UPDATE: omg solved, can't believe i got this one tbh. existential crisis averted (till next week, at least).
Lee-Ann

Post by Lee-Ann »

Well that took most of the weekend, but I am finally ashore. Lots of rabbit holes. I kept seeing parts of the meta, but I did not get it all together for a while. Happy to be ashore!
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore, with the brainy daughter doing most of the rowing!
chatger

Post by chatger »

Hung up on rabbit holes, but finally got ashore with a little help from my friends.
Thanks @ship4u !
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

woozy wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:55 pm
It is worth trying to see these magic eyes because the result is FREAKIN' AWESOME. Every single one is the most AWESOME CRYSTAL CLEAN GLASS hyper-focussed image you have ever seen in your life! They are really amazing.

And there is box CUT OUT OF YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN and the velociraptor is JUST FLOATING THERE IN SPACE!

It really *IS* worth trying to figure out how to see these because.... as fun, and cool and humorous it might be to mock complain about how you don't know what's going on.... actually seeing what *is* going on is way, way, way cooler!

TRY AGAIN!

Thanks for giving me inspiration (and explanation) to try this again. I used to be able to do it. Just can’t get this one. I wonder if it has to do with wearing progressive glasses; something new for me in the last few years. But I’m going to dig out the big book my kids had back when these first came out. Maybe a bigger format, or non-digital format will help.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Thanks for giving me inspiration (and explanation) to try this again. I used to be able to do it. Just can’t get this one. I wonder if it has to do with wearing progressive glasses; something new for me in the last few years. But I’m going to dig out the big book my kids had back when these first came out. Maybe a bigger format, or non-digital format will help.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. Amazing. Well done, Mike!
Fogway

Post by Fogway »

Finally! I should have stayed with my first instinct and I would have saved several hours of frustration. Still, the "aha" moment was satisfying.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Seeing a T Rex in the eye puzzle? No problem

Seeing a way to shore on this puzzle? Problem.

Still working on it.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Got to this one a little late, but quickly on shore. This theme seems a little...loose? Is that just me?
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SilviaV

Post by SilviaV »

I’m stuck on this one.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Don't forget Last Call at Isaac's Zoom session tonight at 8 pm Eastern. All are welcome!
Heidi
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Solved it. Pretty brutal though.
Abide

Post by Abide »

AnswerPfinder wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:16 pm This theme seems a little...loose? Is that just me?
If you're talking about the Magic Eye, yeah, pretty loose
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

This is one of those weeks where my wife happens to take a peek at what I'm doing. I have to reassure her that I'm not losing my mind because I'm sure I sound like...well...

I guess what I'm saying is if anyone wants to drop a hint, I'm all ears.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

@Merry Potter (post #61) I have a similar experience to add but will wait until tomorrow in case it’s viewed as a spoiler.

Stay well all
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

martimeryard wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:54 pm Image

This is one of those weeks where my wife happens to take a peek at what I'm doing. I have to reassure her that I'm not losing my mind because I'm sure I sound like...well...

I guess what I'm saying is if anyone wants to drop a hint, I'm all ears.
If you’re still looking for a nudge send me a private message with what you are looking at.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Count me with Isaac yet again. No inspiration in sight.
Rufus T. Firefly
Lyman

Post by Lyman »

Saved by the Zoom. Ashore.
garnermoney

Post by garnermoney »

Made it ashore with the help of the friendly zoom crew!