"Backdrops" February 2,2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Grover

Post by Grover »

I am able to see the dinosaur, but what is in front of him. Is that a globe, just a ball or ??
LizD

Post by LizD »

Hooray for the zoom! I'm ashore! :D
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
hottieruth

Post by hottieruth »

Want to start by saying I love this group and the commrodarity! Thank you moderators and organizers for all your work. The zoom calls are fabulous for anyone stuck down the rabbit hole and to meet and greet fellow like-minded peeps.

I especially want to thank Dr.Tom for his "nudge" help throughout the year.

With that said, can we start our own annual mug or perhaps shotglass contest? I'm happy to provide the prize!

Thoughts? Ideas? Feel free to PM me!
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Sadly still at sea, but enjoying a Vieux Carré
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

Ashore! Just needed to type out my thoughts! First one this year. Thanks for reaching out EVJ! I'm not sure if my PM made it to you. My message is in my outbox but not my sent folder (??).
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

First a welcome to our newest muggle garnermoney - always great to have more muggles on board

And our final count is 13 on the ship and 147 on the shore

Good luck winning the mug and have a safe week
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

I'm totally LAS. I submitted a SWAG (here, the S is for "stupid" not "scientific") for the only 9-letter theater term that I could think of. I had an interesting rabbit hole that actually led to real words, though not a theater term (or any other kind of term), and not worthy of a golden x-word rabbit submission. Oh well, next week.
JustAQuickThought
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

WSJosh wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:34 pm Sadly still at sea, but enjoying a Vieux Carré
And ashore!
randyiscrazy

Post by randyiscrazy »

Ashore!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

martimeryard wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:37 pm Ashore! Just needed to type out my thoughts! First one this year. Thanks for reaching out EVJ! I'm not sure if my PM made it to you. My message is in my outbox but not my sent folder (??).
I’m so glad you got to shore!
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Wow! After looking at the puzzle now and again since Thursday afternoon, with no idea how to interpret the title or the hints at 52-Across and 60-Across, I decided to take one last look before going to bed and … I made it ashore with less than an hour to spare.

A tad stressful, but … hey … I’ll take it! … 😜.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Grover wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:40 pm I am able to see the dinosaur, but what is in front of him. Is that a globe, just a ball or ??
A bush? A tree? an egg? two little dinos canoodling? A globe with the outline of Pangea?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Phew! That was so close!
Saw light eleven thirty,
Submitted just now.
One world. One planet. One future.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

WSJosh wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:34 pm Sadly still at sea, but enjoying a Vieux Carré
Have two more and you won't care...I do love a good Vieuw Carré but only if you use Peychaud's!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
cheekumbaldy

Post by cheekumbaldy »

Sent in my first Hail Mary for the contest. I wasn't able to see this one unfortunately, and I ended up being too busy to ask for a nudge. Interested to see it though.

Edit: Oh wow. I should've got that one!
Last edited by cheekumbaldy on Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20230203-WSJCC=Backdrops-reveal.png
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

littlepigeon wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:29 pm welp i'm so much still stuck out there with isaac that ... wait..... am i becoming isaac.... ? ... no longer able to tell us apart, we're both such permanent fixtures on the ship at this point....

UPDATE: omg solved, can't believe i got this one tbh. existential crisis averted (till next week, at least).
I believe that the "I am becoming Isaac" is a special instance of a known phenomenon, Meta Evoked Stockholm Syndrome (or MESS for short). I know because I am often in a MESS...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

My rabbit hole:

So there it was, I was CERTAIN of it. A puzzle named “Back Drops” and many words that could have had “back” dropped from their name. Furthermore it was reinforced by the “nudge” clues:

GRAB BACK
ADDS BACK
BACK YARD
BACK BONES
HANGS BACK
And the “nudge” clues
BACK OVER
OUT BACK (or BACK OUT)
BACK FLIP

Yes the BACK was sometimes at the front and sometimes at the end but I was looking for a “dropped” back so it didn’t matter.

So, GAYBHOOF – well seems odd, but there are GANDY DANCERS and HOOFING is something done by dancers in theaters, so maybe when I find the last BACK (SETBACKS could either be the 9th or another “arrow” towards what I should be doing!). Was there a famous dancer in a stage show named GAYBE, I mean theatre terms have come about for sillier reasons than that (“break a leg”, “The Scotch Play”, etc). Maybe it is the last letter (the BACK letter): BSDSSRTP – NOPE. Has to be something I am just missing.

Well how about ADDS BACK = EMENDS, BACK OUT = EBBS, HANGS BACK = AVERSE – well I’m really stretching and anyway I’ve got all vowels and am having a hard time finding other duplicate meanings.

Finally after an eternity I ask for a course correction and was told "Nope", and “Did any of the clues seem odd?”, I was asked. Well of course; I remember thinking BIRCH, BIRCH, why would a crib be made of birch? Sure it COULD be but why would that be preferred? Maybe it is a play on BACK as in BIRCH BARK. However that is where that started and ended. So, why is BIRCH good for a CRIB…hey, wait a minute, BIRCH and CRIB are the same except for one letter? One letter; why if I can find 8 more I am in business! I had made GRAB BAG GRAB BACK but gee GRAB and BAG are also the same save 1 letter, MEAD and DAM, oh yeah baby...!

So, darn lucky there is no GAYBE HOOF or GAY BEHOOF or GAY BEHO OF and that someone finally warned me off back tracking.

T
Last edited by DrTom on Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Ready to get your mind blown? Get a drink ready, you're going to need one after hearing this trail to the wrong answer.

Title is "Backdrops". Engage free assocation mode... BACK, so backwords or back ends of words maybe. DROPS, so dropping a letter? That's kind of standard metanism, either drop or add. Grid is done, so let's begin...

First thing I see is that the BACK end of easycrEDIT is nearly the reverse of aTIDE. Might have an A or an R here.

Ooh - skybORNE and RENO. BACK end again, but not BACKWORDS. What letter would that give me? B?

I continue my search and find...

crEDIT -> aTIDE -> R or A?
bORNE -> RENO -> B
MELOn -> ELMO -> N
haciENDA -> DANtE -> I or T?
rePAST -> SPlAT -> E or L?
gRAB -> BRA -> G
mADD -> ADDs -> M or S?
baTAAN -> mANTA -> A or M?
aLSO -> SLO -> A

I know my order is way off, these were as I found them. I've done this before; Anagrammed the answer and figured out the right ordering later.

For whatever reason, I wasn't consistant, but wrote down ABNTEGSMA. (Should have been ABNTLGSMA, I accidentally FLIPped the E/L choice

Holy cow! I'm just two letters off from BACKSTAGE! That would be a very fitting META: A theater term, and including BACK in the answer! Did I do something wrong? Is there confirmation in the puzzle anywhere? Perhaps something like GATES or GASKET or EGOTS in the grid? No... Well maybe if I find the right missing letters, I can still back solve.

I need a C and an K. Oooh! Theres CAPO -> ATOP. I try desparately to get any of the K words in the grid to fit the bill, but I just can't make it work. And it doesn't make sense. MELON/ELMO would *HAVE* to be an N, and there isn't one in BACKSTAGE. Maybe I'm missing something in the clues that might indicate which words I should be using to get my nine letters. There's no *'s. No numbers. Let's look around some more.

I highlight MILKS in the grid, the clue pops up and I see SKIM. Exactly BACKwards with one letter that could be skipped OVER AND tossed OUT. But it's also the K I need for BACKSTAGE. This must be it! (I know... Wait for it)

I click on GRAB, since I was sure BRA -> GRAB was right, and notice BAG in the clue... Wait a minite...

I click on MADD in my grid, and instead of bringing up the down clue, it brings up the clue for MEAD. Ohhh... DAM -> MEAD. Again, exactly BACKWARDS, with one letter to skip over and toss out. All three so far use the last word of the clue. Interesting.

A new search begins, and I find...

BAG -> GRAB (R)
ROMA -> AMORE (E) ! Hmm... not a skipped one, just the next letter
CRIB -> BIRCH (H) ! I think I see where this is going
DAM -> MEAD (E)
?ONE -> RENO (R) ! Hmm... FIRST word of the clue, not the BACK and no skip
ARAB -> BASRA (S)
SKIM -> MILKS (L)

Oh... SKIM/MILKS never gave me my K for BACKSTAGE (Told you to wait for it). Dumb bunny! [No offense, Rabbit]

I didn't really look at the FIRST words of the clues, just happened to notice ONE/RENO and didn't give it a whole lot of thought. Let's go back and pay attention this time.

DRY -> YARD (A) ! Ayup
MME -> EMMA (A) ! You sneaky little sominabeech

META confirmed as REHEARSAL and not BACKSTAGE. Glad I stayed with it.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.