Justice League of America

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well my apologies, it has been so long since I did a MMM that I thought the nudges were Friday, guess I should have read the other posts. So, you'll get the benefit of TWO sets of nudges, one is similar but with them all together you should be able to find your way to justice!

Oh, and these are today's solvers:
26 benchen71
27 Bob Cruise Director
28 Bbaack

Nudges (in what I think is increasing order of helpfulness)

I put the picture of the comic Justice League up because it was convenient, but that is not the ONLY Justice League of America!

Note how some clues are even odder and more forced than normal. For instance, did I really have to qualify Otello to clue that famed crossword opera

The two center clues are a hint toward the group and what you are looking for. It might take some Googling but see what that brings (oh, and it is an example but NOT part of the solve)

Just like the picture of the JLOA, to which I added one superhero (you will find no superhero like the one on the far right) you are looking for 8 "things" and when you realize what they are the mechanism of the solve should reveal itself in short order.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
markhr

Post by markhr »

Oof, that was tough. Really needed the nudges from Peter.
woozy

Post by woozy »

What do you call it when you can't get it until the nudges come out, even though in the end you didn't need use (or understand?) the nudges?

(I don't really understand Nudge 2 or Nudge 3)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:44 am What do you call it when you can't get it until the nudges come out, even though in the end you didn't need use (or understand?) the nudges?

(I don't really understand Nudge 2 or Nudge 3)
Sent you a PM, and I LOVE Havana gila :D
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Off the couch with the nudges. Thanks Tom!
Matthew
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Nudged off the couch as well.
Thanks, DrTom!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Great meta idea Dr. Tom. Well done

Now OTC and back to join the napping crowd by the wood stove on this cold February day
B5865FE5-833B-42C3-82B4-E168156DEEA9.jpeg
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got it with the second nudge from @Abide, though I had to backsolve 25% of it. This should have been right up my alley but I was just not anywhere on the right wavelength.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Nudged off the couch. That was fun, once I was pointed in the correct direction. Thanks, Dr Tom !!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Reluctantly dragged off the couch thank to nudges.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well apparently lots of solvers were not scared off by their shadows, here is the list of today's solvers:

29 woozy
30 JM
31 MaineMarge
32 DebbieC
33 MatthewL
34 michaelm
35 Snood
36 ajk
37 Dow Jones
38 david
39 ReB
40 Carolyn
41 Jaclyn
42 Ergcat
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch.
Thanks for the puzzle!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Finally had time to do some puzzles today....I hate when work gets in the way of my puzzling...... Off the couch, good meta and puzzle.

Thanks for putting it together.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Friday final:

42 Ergcat
43 Schmeel
44 JHSeeman
45 mkmf

I guess this is being solved even against the backdrop of a WSJ puzzle! Heck 45 solvers, this one may yet go to break my record (I think I had 50 on an early puzzle, no doubt out of kindness for the new kid - then).

EDIT: Just checked and I had 52 with "Put Some English On It" but the all time winner, "AUTOCORRECT" with 57. Most certainly beginner's luck!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Saturday solvers:
46 BethA
47 jbird

An over all total of 47, cannot be unhappy with that. Thanks to everyone who solved!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Not a bad run, 47 of you solved the puzzle that was a lot more difficult than I thought. I am sure I led a lot of you astray with the title and the picture. Obviously it was not THAT justice league (which by the way showed 8 members in the picture, the 8th photoshopped in, to tell you how may things you were looking for). However, it was members of an American league of justice, and you KNOW my fondness for wordplay.

Here is the reveal:
Justice League of America Reveal graphic.jpg
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

How were those judges selected? That was my downfall, couldn't cross reference all the clues with all the judges...
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dplass wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:13 am How were those judges selected? That was my downfall, couldn't cross reference all the clues with all the judges...
Well. I'd like to say they were all chosen for some very noble reason, but the truth is they were chosen because they were Supreme Court Justices for whom I could drop one letter of their name and get another word. The first was ALITO and of course the common crossword word ALIT came to mind, then La Scala and SCALIA, etc.

The "hinty" clues all just referenced somehting in the legal or court realm, there was no clue that identified a particular judge, jut that kind of went with their name (i.e. reference \MOOD in legal proceedings for MOODY)

Clearer?
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:47 am
Dplass wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:13 am How were those judges selected? That was my downfall, couldn't cross reference all the clues with all the judges...
Well. I'd like to say they were all chosen for some very noble reason, but the truth is they were chosen because they were Supreme Court Justices for whom I could drop one letter of their name and get another word. The first was ALITO and of course the common crossword word ALIT came to mind, then La Scala and SCALIA, etc.

The "hinty" clues all just referenced somehting in the legal or court realm, there was no clue that identified a particular judge, jut that kind of went with their name (i.e. reference \MOOD in legal proceedings for MOODY)

Clearer?
Thanks. I can never tell when DrTom is leaving a huge hint in a clue and when DrTom is being DrTom...(don't feel bad, I have the same problem with MikeyG).
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Not sure I should admit this, but I never saw Souter. Just assumed we needed to do the mechanism one more time to add the S and that the 46A clue was confirmation of that.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)