Justice League of America

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:28 am 🎃

I think Joe's telling us he's off his couch --
Untitledsquirrel.png
rjy

Post by rjy »

Put me on a pumpkin too! Finally in need of somewhere else to sit
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

Dplass wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:47 am

"Ashes, ashes, we all fall down!" (DEAD!)
Well.... eventually, I suppose but it has nothing to do with dancing in a ring in the late 19th century.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ring-around-rosie/

Also in light of the 3rd (eating roast beef) and 5th little piggy (going home and squealing all the way), it might be morbidly funny to considered the prosaic meaning of a piggy going to market, but there's no reason to believe it couldn't be the whimsical other meaning.

(I always wondered if we were supposed to assume there were only two piggies: This little piggy went to the market and the other little piggy stayed home; then first piggy had roast beef (which she bought at the market) while the other had none (as he didn't go to the market); the first piggy went wee wee wee all the way home (from the market).... otherwise where was the wee wee weeing little piggy coming home from)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

woozy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:25 am
Dplass wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:47 am

"Ashes, ashes, we all fall down!" (DEAD!)
Well.... eventually, I suppose but it has nothing to do with dancing in a ring in the late 19th century.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ring-around-rosie/

Also in light of the 3rd (eating roast beef) and 5th little piggy (going home and squealing all the way), it might be morbidly funny to considered the prosaic meaning of a piggy going to market, but there's no reason to believe it couldn't be the whimsical other meaning.

(I always wondered if we were supposed to assume there were only two piggies: This little piggy went to the market and the other little piggy stayed home; then first piggy had roast beef (which she bought at the market) while the other had none (as he didn't go to the market); the first piggy went wee wee wee all the way home (from the market).... otherwise where was the wee wee weeing little piggy coming home from)
Dare use my own spells against me, Potter?

(I'm a frequent forwarder of Snopes to people promulgating hoaxes or false "facts.")

I sit corrected.

With all that said ... the meta still escapes me.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Speaking of ashes.... "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust....." this I why I don't dust my house ; it might be someone I knew!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

OTC - after solving the MGWCC with help, I was able to get the MMM without help. Thanks, Dr. Tom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm off the couch after having my mental block removed. Thanks, Tom!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Off the couch. I took off with an idea and became hopelessly lost. I got some great help which got me back on course.

I neglected to follow up on something that I noticed early which cost me dearly.

Thanks Dr. Tom.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
chriscross

Post by chriscross »

Off the couch. This is a meta I really had to work for, very satisfying.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

KayW wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:30 am
TeamDoubleTow wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:17 pm What?!... I am saddened to have to reconsider this nursery rhyme in light of this new (to me) information.
I really am SO sorry to be the one to disillusion you. But at the time I found that out, I felt like I was the last person on earth to be let in on that dark “secret”.
I would say you'd be second to last but my solving partner had no idea either... So I think there are a fair number of people who think the piggy's going shopping.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

woozy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:25 am (I always wondered if we were supposed to assume there were only two piggies: This little piggy went to the market and the other little piggy stayed home; then first piggy had roast beef (which she bought at the market) while the other had none (as he didn't go to the market); the first piggy went wee wee wee all the way home (from the market).... otherwise where was the wee wee weeing little piggy coming home from)
I really like this interpretation
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

whimsy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:11 am Off the line ---- er, couch!

Untitledpig.png
(Kay - 9th from left)
Wow, did all those people come right from a college graduation to the meatpacking plant? It MUST have been the VERIBEST!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Tuesday and the Superheroes still are solving!

16 whimsy
17 rjy
18 CPJohnson
19 BarbaraK
20 Mwoychick
21 Laura M
22 lbray53
23 ChrissCross
24 AaronT

EDIT:
Whoops - turns out I missed a solver who had PMed me the answer, sorry
LindaPRMaven

There goes my public relations badge!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Off the couch (I think) after some authorial assistance. Thanks DrTom!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

whimsy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:30 am
Joe Ross wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:28 am 🎃

I think Joe's telling us he's off his couch --
No'm. It's a targeted joke (aka inside joke) and has to do with Peter, Peter, but not @Abide.

I am, however, off my rocker...
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Will there be nudges? Asking for, well, myself.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

what Dplass said
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

Hey Dr Tom! I'm stuck as usual...are there any Wednesday nudges coming?
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DavyGravy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:10 pm Hey Dr Tom! I'm stuck as usual...are there any Wednesday nudges coming?
If you don't hear from the good doctor, PM me and tell me what you have done and I will nudge you.

A clever meta.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Abide

Post by Abide »

Nudges

these justices have supreme powers but are not of the superhero variety

eight entries are lacking something, as indicated by the GRIEVER clue

the first entry is OUTER. Add a letter to help seek justice
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald