MGWCC #765 -- "Turn On the Radio" by Peter Gwinn

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
woozy

Post by woozy »

Cinny wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:07 pm .... it took some time for me to see what was probably fairly obvious to others.
I don't think there are any others who thought anything was fairly obvious.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MountainManZach

Post by MountainManZach »

Yeah I thought this one was very well hidden, and was somewhat surprised to see how many folks had/have beamed up. Very fun one, all told.

Happy to provide nudges if you PM me.
Berto

Post by Berto »

So many distractions!
@Wendy Walker with the much needed virtual blinkers to keep me from jumping the guardrails.

Congratulations to the solo solvers!
And…. Last Day of Dryanuary!!! Woohoo
KayW

Post by KayW »

Whew! Awaiting beam-up with many thanks to the Tuesday zoom crowd.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
JonJonBovi

Post by JonJonBovi »

Would love a friendly nudge… completely stumped this week
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I am waiting for beam-up! I agree, there were lots of distractions and when the actual mechanism worked, I was pleasantly surprised!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Berto wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:32 pm
And…. Last Day of Dryanuary!!! Woohoo
Uh... here in Philly, Dryanuary ended Sunday. I knew people who had to get to their local bar by noon to score seats for the Eagles game.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Awaiting transporter beam. Though I got the “Submissions are closed” message after submitting. I’ll check in the morning.

Edit: Looks as if I did make it to the board.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

137. Joe Ross ㉕ 01/31 - 22:53

Nowhere close to a solo solve. WOW! to those who had.
donutrobot

Post by donutrobot »

I got the "submissions are closed" message also. i shot mr gaffney a quick email to let him know; even if people are getting on the board after a "late" but not late submission it's a confusing message to receive. great guest puzzle regardless!
MountainManZach

Post by MountainManZach »

Andrew Bradburn wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:11 pm Unless I am mistaken, this two-day delay brings the "Solved a meta on Ada's birthday" badge into play, which I thought I would have to wait at least a year to have a chance at, and which is one of only two I don't yet have. The other I will never get, which is to be first to solve. Now, if I can just solve it when it comes out -- which these days is not very likely, especially a week 4.
According to my calendar (...yes, I have it written in my calendar...) submission day for this one is 3. Feb., so you should be able to get it if you make quick work of it on Friday.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

MountainManZach wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:46 pm
Andrew Bradburn wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:11 pm Unless I am mistaken, this two-day delay brings the "Solved a meta on Ada's birthday" badge into play, which I thought I would have to wait at least a year to have a chance at, and which is one of only two I don't yet have. The other I will never get, which is to be first to solve. Now, if I can just solve it when it comes out -- which these days is not very likely, especially a week 4.
According to my calendar (...yes, I have it written in my calendar...) submission day for this one is 3. Feb., so you should be able to get it if you make quick work of it on Friday.
Due to the late post, the deadline for this puzzle is Noon ET on Thursday, February 2nd.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Beamed up after a kind nudge! If there's an award for the most rabbit holes dug up, I think I'm in the running.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Wow! I was just typing up all my seemingly useless random thoughts for a nudge request, and I saw what to do! I can't believe I solo solved this!
aallen116

Post by aallen116 »

A nudge would be greatly appreciated...
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Sent to the transfer portal with a helpful nudge last night; now I just have to wait for the facility's owner to turn the power back on the tractor beams....
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Email (crosswordcontest@gmail.com) or PM your answer to Matt, if the form isn't available.
Mg305

Post by Mg305 »

Struggling with this one (only been doing this a few weeks) nudge greatly appreciated if someone send along
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:54 am Email (crosswordcontest@gmail.com) or PM your answer to Matt, if the form isn't available.
The form is still there; the list of solvers hasn't been updated since 8pm eastern last night. I'll email him at 11:55 if I'm not up there by then. :)
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

ky-mike wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:05 pm
MountainManZach wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:46 pm
Due to the late post, the deadline for this puzzle is Noon ET on Thursday, February 2nd.
Looks like I WAS mistaken! I had thought Ada's birthday was 2/2, and at the time I initially wrote this, no solvers were listed where I could click on a name and see all the badges. Good news then, that a week one puzzle will be coming out on Ada's birthday (unless it gets delayed...)