MGWCC #765 -- "Turn On the Radio" by Peter Gwinn

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well the GRID filled fairly easily...and that was that. I see some things that look like they should help but don't seem to be. I have no knowledge of Discord, except that which seems to define my existence, and I was spending some time with the wife so missed any Muggle Meet. I'll chip away at his for a while and then probably cry for help, or perhaps just cry.

Wendy, I did not know you were into boxing? I say that because that picture is most certainly you and Lean on Sphinx :roll:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

DrTom wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:24 am …that picture is most certainly you and Lean on Sphinx :roll:
Slow clap 👏
ajk

Post by ajk »

Got it with the help of the Discord thread. Did just enough on my own to feel ok about submitting, though it was a close thing. Don't think there was much chance I'd have gotten there entirely on my own, especially since one of my first thoughts turned out to be important and I had already discarded it.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
jbird

Post by jbird »

Can I also get a link to the discord channel?
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

jbird wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:51 am Can I also get a link to the discord channel?
All of the content has been deleted.
jbird

Post by jbird »

MikeM000 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:10 am
jbird wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:51 am Can I also get a link to the discord channel?
Confused....Is there a regular Discord server for Xword Muggles? Or a specific channel in a server? What was everyone referring to earlier in this thread?
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

jbird wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:43 am
MikeM000 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:10 am
Confused....Is there a regular Discord server for Xword Muggles? Or a specific channel in a server? What was everyone referring to earlier in this thread?
I have no idea how any of it works and it's the only thing I use Discord for.

So I open the app and it has the history of MGW advanced solve discussions that people start. On January 29, Eckless started a thread for Turn On The Radio, and the only thing in the thread is him saying at 8:35pm last evening that he deleted the thread as it has most of the answer in it. Feel free to start a new thread with new participants if you'd like.

Usually I get a notification on my phone when there's activity in there but not this weekend. It says # lounge at the top of the screen. Is this useful?
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

2 other things:

The grand irony in my interest in the discord discussion is that I've never actually gotten anything usable toward solving a meta out of any of those threads.

And thanks for editing the first post in this thread with the bio info on the guest constructor; since it was an unfamiliar name and there was no info on him or that the original week 4 had been aborted in the email Matt sent out with the puzzle, it had popped into my head that it might be a pseudonym that would play into the solve.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

May I please get an invite to the discord server as well? Based on the comments I don't think I'll be able to solo this one.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Well with some help I solved. I presumed something I shouldn't have. Lesson learned.
Last edited by hcbirker on Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heidi
Berto

Post by Berto »

Not enough time at the weekend after late post, and don’t think I have it in me to solo solve. Harking back to misspent hours on one-armed bandits in the Magdalen Arms… I need some nudges.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed up. I needed help and even then a tactical error delayed my solve.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
MountainManZach

Post by MountainManZach »

The Canadian Baseball and Crossword Hall of Fame sounds like a pretty niche establishment if you ask me. But one I’ll definitely check out. I wonder where it’s located? :D
runart

Post by runart »

Good morning, folks! I think I have a path. It seems solid and logical but isn't leading me anywhere. I'm starting to fear rabbit hole-ism. Could someone who's solved take a look? I don't want to spend much more time on it if it's hopelessly misguided. Thanks!
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Remember...

Help the help help efficiently.

Has that sentence ever been written before? Can I get a copyright on that?

:::wanders off, muttering:::

Oh, right. If you post a request for nudges, let the nudge-willing know when you have been nudged
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Nearly had it solo. Had the first two steps, and the third crossed my mind, but I didn't pursue it.
Jay
Terragon

Post by Terragon »

I'm going to run out of time on this one. Is there a friendly nudge? I would like to relay what I see so far.
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Would love a nudge on this one. Have a lot of ideas, nothing panning out.

EDIT: Thanks for the nudges!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

I would also love a friendly nudge... I have some ideas but nothing clicking quite yet.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally on the leaderboard. I spent a good deal of time prior to nudges exploring rabbit holes -- of which there were many! Even after nudges it took some time for me to see what was probably fairly obvious to others.
Cindy Heisler