MGWCC #765 -- "Turn On the Radio" by Peter Gwinn

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Dear Solver,

480 of you found the answer to last week's challenge. Read about it here.

Well, that great idea I had didn’t wind up working out after all. Fortunately we have a guest puzzle to keep things rolling! I’ll do a full update on last week’s puz tomorrow, but for now see the solution graphic above by Gridmaster T.

GUEST CONSTRUCTOR META:

Today’s meta is by longtime MGWCC solver Peter Gwinn. Peter is a comedy writer and playwright who used to write for The Colbert Report and now writes for Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me on NPR. He lives in Chicago with his wife and two kids.

Thanks, Peter! On to the meta…

Today's puzzle is Week 4 of 4 in January, by guest constructor Peter Gwinn.

Instructions:

This week's contest answer is an 11-letter phrase.

Good luck!

NOTE: Due to the late post, the deadline for this puzzle is Noon ET on Thursday, February 2nd.

--Matt

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?:
MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page.
A subscription costs $3/month.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Such a cheap ploy: Matt always tries to garner sympathy by posting pics of his kids, and dammit if it doesn't work!

But so much for having the MGWCC as a break from the MEOW... spending way too much time w DrTom this week!
Ray
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

rjy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:26 am Such a cheap ploy: Matt always tries to garner sympathy by posting pics of his kids, and dammit if it doesn't work!

But so much for having the MGWCC as a break from the MEOW... spending way too much time w DrTom this week!
That sounds like a good way to spend your time!

And congrats to @Cap'n Rick on the shout-out! His cruises are always enjoyable!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Another day, another destiny.

youtube[dot]com/watch?v=Sv-BxH3SVS8
Jay
boharr

Post by boharr »

Matt: "I have now spent twice the normal amount of time on MGWCC #765 as I would on a normal Week 4, trying to get this idea to work, and it still hasn't. I should really throw in the towel, except...in the past 20 minutes I've finally seen how it *will* work."

Ok, now I'm scared. And what about football?
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

Always worth the wait.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Bird Lives wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:39 am Another day, another destiny.

youtube[dot]com/watch?v=Sv-BxH3SVS8
Tomorrow we'll discover
What Matt Gaffney has in store!
One more dawn
One more day
One day more!
Ray
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

How come this never happens with Matt's WSJ puzzle?
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Another day, just believe, just breathe.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Why do I just know that I will have no chance at this one...?
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

MattGaffney wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:16 am MGWCC #765 -- POSTPONED (again) until Noon ET on Sunday, Jan. 29th

I know it's annoying but I think it will be worth the wait. Occasionally these things take quite a while.
Such is the cost of supporting original, high quality creative arts and craftsmanship...sometimes you need to wait to get it right.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Joe wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:40 pm Why do I just know that I will have no chance at this one...?
When I played Monopoly, I got a lot of Community Chest cards. But I still had no Chance.

Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I'm just stoked about the shoutout -- I'm the one who asked the question when we had that Zoom gettogether!
oggy

Post by oggy »

MattGaffney wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:16 amI have now spent twice the normal amount of time on MGWCC #765 as I would on a normal Week 4, trying to get this idea to work, and it still hasn't. I should really throw in the towel, except...in the past 20 minutes I've finally seen how it *will* work, but with 100 minutes to publication time it's not going to happen today. So I need to ask for your patience for one more day.
Translation: to solve this one you need to fold the grid into a hypercube and read the answer through time goggles. (In Welsh.)
Joe

Post by Joe »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:54 pm I'm just stoked about the shoutout -- I'm the one who asked the question when we had that Zoom gettogether!
I was there, Al! But was that actually "a couple of years ago"??? It honestly seems like it was three days ago.

At that gathering, I asked what his plans were once he got to the big #1000. He said something like "We'll just have to see." But recent messages seem to indicate that he does, indeed, have plans. Why am I even more scared?
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

The Q&A with Matt was June 29, 2021

The recording is still available at:

https://www.dropbox.com/home/MG%20Q%26A ... zoom_0.mp4

It may be best viewed if you download the recording
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Unless I am mistaken, this two-day delay brings the "Solved a meta on Ada's birthday" badge into play, which I thought I would have to wait at least a year to have a chance at, and which is one of only two I don't yet have. The other I will never get, which is to be first to solve. Now, if I can just solve it when it comes out -- which these days is not very likely, especially a week 4.
MMe

Post by MMe »

Andrew Bradburn wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:11 pm Unless I am mistaken, this two-day delay brings the "Solved a meta on Ada's birthday" badge into play, which I thought I would have to wait at least a year to have a chance at, and which is one of only two I don't yet have. The other I will never get, which is to be first to solve. Now, if I can just solve it when it comes out -- which these days is not very likely, especially a week 4.
Page 1 status is going to be challenging on this one.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

MMe wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:18 am
Andrew Bradburn wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:11 pm Unless I am mistaken, this two-day delay brings the "Solved a meta on Ada's birthday" badge into play, which I thought I would have to wait at least a year to have a chance at, and which is one of only two I don't yet have. The other I will never get, which is to be first to solve. Now, if I can just solve it when it comes out -- which these days is not very likely, especially a week 4.
Page 1 status is going to be challenging on this one.
Especially when I use this post to share a picture of the lead singer of the '60s rock band Kermit's Kermits:

ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

No page 1 glory for MGWCC. All about where you are on the leaderboard (which the WSJ doesn't have)