MGWCC #765 -- "Turn On the Radio" by Peter Gwinn

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Abide

Post by Abide »

Not bad Mikey3...
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
ricky

Post by ricky »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:01 pm How come this never happens with Matt's WSJ puzzle?
The WSJ puzzles rarely go above a week 3 in difficulty. So Matt probably sells most of his more easily constructed, and solved, metas to them. I assume the week 4/5s take much more time to brainstorm. The fact that he's not constrained by standard grid size may actually mean it takes him longer to figure out that an idea's not going to work.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
ricky

Post by ricky »

Beamed up BTW

Edit: Just got the 100 Weeks of Solitude badge! Only 5 badges to go: 1-Across, Easter, Week 5 on Halloween, Buzzer Beater and Love Letter.

EDIT #2: "Solvitude," not Solitude - my phone really does not like this pun.
Last edited by ricky on Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
woozy

Post by woozy »

Is there any more sinking feeling then getting three quarters of the way through a grid and deep down knowing when you finish you won't have the slightest idea where to start looking for the meta?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Meg

Post by Meg »

#9! I feel relieved. It’s a fun construction!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Fun one. Took too long. once I was on the right path to see the light. Thanks to @Meg for confirming that I was on the right path.
oggy

Post by oggy »

ricky wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:37 pm Edit: Just got the 100 Weeks of Solitude badge!
Shouldn't we all get that for enduring Covid lockdown? :D

Got there on the back of some group thinking. Fun construction indeed!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

where is this group of which you speak, @oggy? I could use a strong back to ride on too. Have tried many clever interpretations of the title and things I think are little hints. Gibberish. ELEVEN letters??
The other Wendy. :roll:
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Got it! Awaiting the leaderboard update, but it's a no-doubter. [Edit: #28]

That was not the first thing I tried or the second thing, but then oh wait it was ~sorta~ the first thing I tried, just done differently.

Really enjoyed it!
Last edited by AnswerPfinder on Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

Submitted what has to be right. Thanks to the Discord crew for the piece I was missing!

Edit: on the board!
Last edited by AaronT on Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oggy

Post by oggy »

HeadinHome wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:41 pm where is this group of which you speak, @oggy? I could use a strong back to ride on too. Have tried many clever interpretations of the title and things I think are little hints. Gibberish. ELEVEN letters??
It's the Discord group, which I think has been posted publicly here before, but juuuust in case it'd be breaching etiquette I'll DM you the invite.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Phew! Awaiting tractor beam. A lot of sweat on this one… I’m guessing Matt had this one in his back pocket for a 5-week month but had to deploy in an in case of emergency, break glass mode.

Really impressive construction tho!
Ray
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Another whew moment this week. Even after I knew what to do it still took some doing to figure out how to do it correctly. Definitely a true week 4.

Nice job, Peter!

I was going to nitpick one of the clues, but apparently the world changed while I wasn't looking.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

ky-mike wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:01 pm No page 1 glory for MGWCC. All about where you are on the leaderboard (which the WSJ doesn't have)
For me, especially on a week 4 or 5, it's all about getting the answer, no matter where I am on the leaderboard!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Second round of Discord chatters for the win! Waiting to beam up...
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!

Actually, still in progress. Though confident.

With some help.

That was fun. Thanks, Matt and Peter!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Yes, the discordant ones come in handy. Submitted. That one felt like a time-suck… so many possible ways to go, and all could be argued that they were just as nudgy as the actual real hints. Clever idea, though… just wish I could have those wasted hours back. 😤
The other Wendy. :roll:
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

This stony guy imparted no useful wisdom whatsoever -- unlike the Last Call Muggles, who gave me the push I needed!
(This statue is known as the Great Sphinx of Lancaster. He and his twin guard a gigantic, now crumbling mausoleum built in 1911.)
Attachments
sphinx.jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh, was that tough!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.