"Horseplay" - October 18, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Safely on shore. It did take a bit to work it out, but it is a 100%er. On to the MGWCC. Another amazing construction by Mike.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Same as Toby. Nice one!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Boy, took a while but I made it. I was with all of you who figured out the mechanism but couldn't make it work. A light bulb finally went off and I'll leave it at that to avoid risking a spoiler.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'll confess that I'm still on the ship, I just can't see what everyone else is seeing! On the plus side, it's been nice to catch up with Isaac :-)
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

On shore. Nice construction. Now on to Mgwcc and pgwcc.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Solved...very tricky...on the shore!
darthdriessen

Post by darthdriessen »

On shore 100%, but it's too early in the day for the celebration drink!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Mission accomplished.
Thank you Joe Ross for providing the template. I was too lazy to make up my own and I would not have been able to solve this without it. I do most of the puzzles online without templates but this one I don't think I could have managed.
juliet

Post by juliet »

I've been chasing just one bunny since yesterday (how could it not be the right one?). We seem to have gone through the whole ship now and I'm headed for a much needed break at the bar to join a few others in mutual encouragement.

Looks like I'll be carrying around a print out of the filled-in grid this weekend
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I am still with Isaac. Count me in the group who see what must be done but can produce nothing but gibberish.
Cynthia
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done. Knew what the answer had to be from the start, but also had trouble at first and won't say more as to how I finally got it as that would be a spoiler/hint to others. Amazing construction. A definite, "How in the hell did he come up with that?" moment.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
GlennG

Post by GlennG »

Don't get the in-joke today ...
Janet

Post by Janet »

Hanging out with Isaac, whinnying into my beer, watching people horse around on the beach -- Nag's Head, of course.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm still with the crowd on the ship that has a good idea of the basic mechanism but can't narrow it down to get an answer. I'm going back and forth between trying stuff at random and trying to figure out exactly what to do first.

I also haven't the slightest idea what the answer has to be. Was wondering if I've even heard of them, but I'm encouraged that no one yet is disputing the "well-know" description.
AnnP

Post by AnnP »

I was doing OK for several weeks but last week's volcanos and this week's horses have done me in. The ship's garden will be totally weed-free at this rate.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Wow! That’s all I can say. I finally made it to shore but I felt like I was swimming against a rip tide the whole way. I have no idea how several people solved this puzzle quickly. You may guess the answer, but to solve it conclusively took me some time. Hats off to Mike. This one was a true test.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:30 pm I'm still with the crowd on the ship that has a good idea of the basic mechanism but can't narrow it down to get an answer. I'm going back and forth between trying stuff at random and trying to figure out exactly what to do first.

I also haven't the slightest idea what the answer has to be. Was wondering if I've even heard of them, but I'm encouraged that no one yet is disputing the "well-know" description.
Barbara-I don’t think I am giving anything away when I tell you that I feel confident that you have heard of them.
JimmyJam

Post by JimmyJam »

On shore. Remarkable work from Mr. Shenk. But, like many others, I’ll refrain from actually remarking until after the deadline!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Got to this late, and now I'm having trouble finding the right way to do this. I know what to do, just not coming up with anything that makes sense. Isaac, I haven't seen you in months! Give me a double! (Heidi)
Heidi
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Geesh. After several weeks of quick solves, I am totally LAS. So, Isaac, good to see you. I've missed you. I may not be on the beach but a tequila is in order. Maybe it will help me see the light.