"This Stays Between Us" January 27, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:39 pm Hmmm, with all the puns flying fast and furious I'm surprised we have not heard from Hunter X? Edam well better have a gouda excuse. OK, ricotta go now, might as well this is a feta compli.
My apologies. Though you're a bit of a Muenster to bring me into this. As a true American, and a CaerPhilly in particular, I should be a Wiz at cheese puns. Pay me some cheddar and I'll Limburger up my skills. Though I'm inclined to drink my Port, Salut you, and thank you for bringing cheese into the picture. (Not that good on sausage puns, in this casing.)

Actually, I had a busy weekend trying out new ski boots in the Poconos before a trip out west next week. Ice, crowds, vertical drop of no more than about 800 feet, and runs lasting all of about 60 seconds. Maybe I should have stayed home and worked on puns.

But hey, speaking of cheese wiz*, the "Igles" won tonight. The hollers from all the units in my condo building were drowned out by the screaming on the street. And there were more horns honking than when the taxis used to go on strike. Then everyone streamed to Broad Street to try to climb the greased light poles. We actually used game-time to drive home from the mountains in the lightest traffic I can remember. Now we're hunkering down to avoid the drunken crowds.

*Proper ordering etiquette**: "One, wit, wiz."

**If you want something fairly disgusting, IMO. Better to get Provolone than wiz anyday.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Took forever to get the last part..... but finally ASHORE!

The earlier parts of the puzzle seemed so 'easy' in comparison that I think that is what kept us going (it's here, it's just goita be here!!)

Anyhow, not much time for drinks on the beach, but at least we didn't drown trying to get there!

Rita and George
Char

Post by Char »

Thanks to Zoom I’m ashore.
ColinM

Post by ColinM »

Onshore. I would not have gotten it without the group.
I usually do well with Gaffney puzzles because the first step lets me zero in on what's important, but I was fumbling with the second step.
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

On the ship. Sadly. I feel like I followed a nice progression but I couldn't bring it home. Looking forward to seeing the answer at midnight.
Grandma Lolo

Post by Grandma Lolo »

Ashore
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Ashore, finally !!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Our final count is 11 on the ship and 186 on the shore.

Good luck winning the mug and stay save
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

Made it ashore!
diplomatt

Post by diplomatt »

On the beach with 92 minutes to spare!

Would have been here SOOOO much sooner if I'd actually seen the clue on 71A.

I made all the jumps to get the final 4 letters of the meta answer, and I sat here for a good 48 hours going, "How am I supposed to find 5 more letters?" It turns out those other 5 letters were explicitly laid out. Very silly. Glad it all worked out in the end.

On the beach!
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Made it to shore at the last minute! Having a Conviction Double Oaked bourbon, made right here in NC.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Very elegant. Very tough. Very engaging. Very fun. Very Gaffney. Ashore.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I just submitted my answer.
I actually was much happier until about an hour ago, when I saw absolutely nothing. I realized it was an MG meta and people were saying how clever it was, etc and I just gave up. Then an hour ago, as I usually do late Sunday evening, I gave it a quick glance and happened to notice something that I didn't believe was a coincidence. So I had to keep picking at it. I made it work to give me a 9 letter word but it is probably wrong since I don't see it as clever or great construction or any of the other praises listed here. I probably should have played with it longer and maybe I would have refined the solution, but just went with what I had. Well, I'll see in 20 minutes.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20230127 WSJCC This Stays Between Us-reveal.png
ADS

Post by ADS »

I assume I was not the only one that got sidetracked for a couple of days by “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”?
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

I got the right answer, but will admit I thought it was ROMAN and CUBA rather than OMAN and CUBA. Had a senior moment when it came to OMAN.
ADS

Post by ADS »

… and also the four places in the grid where U and S are separated by one letter (if you include backwards and diagonals)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

clonefitz wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:26 pm We should have a weekly contest to see who can come up with the meta explanation in the fewest words. Not sure how to do that without spoilers, though. Wonder what the over/under line would be this week?

I can explain that meta in 44% of a word:

20230127 WSJCC This Stays Between Us-4 letters.png
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Since we're all sharing our pretty pictures...

This Stays Between Us.jpg
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: