Aye Aye, Captain!

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

MaineMarge wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:57 pm OTC. Thanks Rick. Great fun-
Now outside for some fresh air in a comfy garden seat…
Sorry- not today, Goldilocks.
Looks like a nice spring day in Aroostook County, @MaineMarge. :lol:
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Abide wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:15 am
Streroto wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:35 pm Off the couch. Really enjoying these. Had no idea what I was missing!! You are an amazingly talented group.
There is a backlog of 144(+/-) for you to work on. That's a gross achievement!
oh ouch. Gross indeed! I'll sharpen my pencil...
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

Off the couch!

Thanks for the puzzle, Cap’n Rick!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Off the couch just before the hints! Thanks Cap'n!
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:49 pm While working on the grid, I was wondering if 46A is where they sell new and used dromedaries? Or should I ask @DrTom
Good one (or as Mikey would say, "Good pun!"
Seattle DB
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

67A makes me want to Bang a Gong (or as Mikey might say, "gang a bong"...)
Seattle DB
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:49 pm While working on the grid, I was wondering if 46A is where they sell new and used dromedaries? Or should I ask @DrTom
That is a question best asked on Wednesday...hump day of course.

You do know that one of the Knights became a dermatologist with a fame equaling Dr. Pimple Popper... Sir lance a lot of course!

A gal I had once said she was gwain to tell a group of us the whole story of Arthur but she perceived all would safir if she did so instead she told us the story of Lionel. She was a trained storyteller. (OUCH)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

So delighted to have Alex dig our way out of the myriad of rabbit holes . We are now off the coach. Great puzzle as always @Cap'n Rick !
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
ReB

Post by ReB »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:30 pm
That is a question best asked on Wednesday...hump day of course.

You do know that one of the Knights became a dermatologist with a fame equaling Dr. Pimple Popper... Sir lance a lot of course!

A gal I had once said she was gwain to tell a group of us the whole story of Arthur but she perceived all would safir if she did so instead she told us the story of Lionel. She was a trained storyteller. (OUCH)
Call out the 51A - Dr. Tom is running 56A? Oh wait - we need to call out the 10A, because actually it's a group of escapees from the infamous 46A...45A of them...no, I count 36D.

Oh yes, I am off the couch, but with a day like this, maybe that was a mistake...
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

It’s a Cap’n Rick puzzle and I can’t wait to get to it…. But it’ll have to be tomorrow, as that’s when apple returns my new iPad after it literally decided to die in the middle of a puzzle Wednesday.

Was at my favorite sports bar/restaurant for lunch, put it down, pick it up 5 minutes later, just dead. Never left my sight, nothing spilled on it… just started pining for the fjords.

Walked it over to UPS, they boxed it up for me and sent it off for free, and Apple’s sending me a new one and it’s coming tomorrow. If you get an iPad to solve on, please get the AppleCare+. No questions asked, they received it and sent me one the same day. Well worth the extra warranty cost IMO.

I did get both the the MGWCC and WSJ last week but I had to solve them like some sort of CAVEMAN with pen and paper :) I missed the unlimited highlighter colors and erasure abilities you get on the pad. Plus I had to walk over to the FedEx and get them actually, like, printed on paper for a whole $.18 a piece!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

sharkicicles wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:29 am I did get both the the MGWCC and WSJ last week but I had to solve them like some sort of CAVEMAN with pen and paper :) I missed the unlimited highlighter colors and erasure abilities you get on the pad. Plus I had to walk over to the FedEx and get them actually, like, printed on paper for a whole $.18 a piece!
Good luck with your iPad, @sharkicicles, and I hope you enjoy the puzzle.

BTW, I think cavemen used stone chisels to complete their grids. :D
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Leaderboard Update

Five more Muggles have left their lounge chairs and are milling about on the Lido deck:

woozy
Alvibu67
Eric Porter
TeamDoubleTow
ReB

Wednesday Nudges

Okay, time for a few Nudges:

Did you notice the repetitive clues for 30D and the central 39A?

Wait! Wait! Even the title has repetition!

Gee, I'm pretty famished right now. In fact, you could say I'm "hungry like a wolf".

After you've found the 6 symmetrically-placed grid entries that can be repeated, look for alternate clues that fit these new phrases.

The first letters of the original answers to the alternate clues (in grid order) spell the meta answer, which has two meanings in this puzzle.

Please let me know if you'd like more help.
Last edited by Cap'n Rick on Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Finally got it; needed nudges. Thanks, Cap'n Rick! I like your puzzles.
Cynthia
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Ahoy matey.... loved the puzzle but needed the nudges. They were fun as well.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Finally "nudged" off the couch. Very clever, Cap'n Rick.
Thanks!!
Cindy Heisler
KayW

Post by KayW »

Nudged off the couch yet again. Thanks Rick for another great meta!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Got to break in the new iPad this afternoon. Thanks again for a great and fun meta!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

minimuggle wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:39 pm Ahoy matey.... loved the puzzle but needed the nudges. They were fun as well.
Ditto.....
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Leaderboard Update

Well, the nudges helped 21 more Muggles obtain OTC status:

Nancygo
CPJohnson
Johnny Luau
david
minimuggle
Jaclyn
Cinny
kurtalert
bhamren
KayW
AaronT
sharkicicles
Bbaack
Snood
SewYoung
SeamusOL
LindaPRmaven
JeanneC
mkmf
frostyjhammer
DavyGravy

That brings our solver total to 78! Please let me know if I've missed anyone.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Matt and Mike better watch out. The quality of member muggle puzzles published on Monday rival that of M and M. Bravo to the Cap”n and all those who contribute on this site!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman