The Plot Thickens

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Al Sisti

The Plot Thickens

Post by Al Sisti »

Good morning Muggles!

This week’s meta is called “The Plot Thickens,” and I’m giving it a week 2.7 difficulty rating. I got the idea from… well, that’s going to have to wait until reveal time. At any rate, please submit your answer on Crosshare, or PM me your solution by 10 PM on Saturday, and as has become the custom, I’ll post a couple snapshots of a leaderboard during the week. Feel free to PM me for nudges, but try to stick with it for a couple days first. If nothing else, there’s always Nudge Wednesday.

One correct solver will be chosen at random and will receive an item of his/her choice from my swag bag (a Blarney Rebel Band CD, a Utica Club keepsake, or a $15 donation to a charity of your choice).

The Plot Thickens crosshare

The Plot Thickens PUZ

The Plot Thickens PDF

The Plot Thickens spreadsheet

If you enjoy solving on Crosshare, help keep the site running by donating a few bucks.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Off the couch.

Nice start to my meta puzzling week. (Along with MikeyG’s yesterday.)

Thanks, Al!

Remember MLK today.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Off the couch - it took a bit of backsolving but I got through the thick plot in the end.
Good puzzle - Thanks!
Meg

Post by Meg »

OTC. Not sure I solved this the way I was supposed to…..I’m looking forward to the full explanation!
Edit: I see something now, which makes the metanism more logical.
Last edited by Meg on Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

🛋
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Working on the puzzle but a couple of things
1) it is great to see a muggle worked into the grid
2) 43A is Al's version of Alfred Hitchcock
3) An alternate clue for 7A would be "Charles Lampert's real name"
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:11 am Working on the puzzle but a couple of things
1) it is great to see a muggle worked into the grid
2) 43A is Al's version of Alfred Hitchcock
3) An alternate clue for 7A would be "Charles Lampert's real name"
1. Always fun
2. Usually deliberate; this time it just happened.
3. Never a good thing to leave a Natick... believe me, I tried to avoid it.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Off the couch.
Heading to the Interior Designer for a new one?
Thanks Al!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Couch vacated. Thanks, Al. It drove me nuts.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Off the couch. Really liked this one. Thanks Al
Matthew
rjy

Post by rjy »

Struggled a bit to plot my escape, but finally freed from the couch (like that's a good thing??)

Really cool concept, Al!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

Didn't we do something like this before and we had trouble that everyone had a completely different frame of reference that they each assumed was perfectly natural but each disagreed with everyone else's?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

woozy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:38 pm Didn't we do something like this before and we had trouble that everyone had a completely different frame of reference that they each assumed was perfectly natural but each disagreed with everyone else's?
That might be what's got me tangled up. I've tried multiple frames of reference and gotten multiple garbage answers. Feels like I'm missing something.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

woozy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:38 pm Didn't we do something like this before and we had trouble that everyone had a completely different frame of reference that they each assumed was perfectly natural but each disagreed with everyone else's?
Yes. And quite recently, for some (including me).
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I need to adjust my initial frame of reference because it clearly can't be it.

I also need to start compiling a notebook of metanisms I've tried that haven't worked for future reference!! Already liking this one, @Al Sisti, and I look forward to persevering!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Off the couch! I just got it. (And then as I reflected on it, I *really* got it. Love it, Al!)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:14 pm
Well, if your intention was to misdirect I bought it hook, line, and sinker. Got nothing but considering how many have it, I figure I'm just looking at precisely the wrong thing.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

woozy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:07 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:14 pm
Well, if your intention was to misdirect I bought it hook, line, and sinker. Got nothing but considering how many have it, I figure I'm just looking at precisely the wrong thing.
Never was, is, or will be my intention to misdirect.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Argh.... between scrivener errors and mistyping on entry.....

Had the right idea and right frame of reference (the only possible one really) all along but had to have my head pounded a few times to see I had it from the beginning.

Fun puzzle and great word-play. (Irritating scrivener error and irratating dyslexic-problem-I-have-had-all-my-life-irritates-every-body)
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Aha! Off the couch - thanks, Al!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com