MGWCC #763 - "Not for Nothing"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Beamed up now. #51 It was more difficult than the WSJ for me. I really liked it.
Meg

Post by Meg »

OK, that was hard! To see. But I have beamed.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beamed up, #53! Felt more like a week 3, and definitely harder for me than the WSJCC, but these things are highly subjective of course.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

I'm in the camp of "It's harder than the WSJ," but that's because I solved the WSJ and I haven't gotten past step 1 with the MGWCC.

Lots of ideas (that haven't panned out) though.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Nope...WSJ was way easier than this....
Tina

Post by Tina »

Got it, I think. Week 2.5 IMHO. I made an erroneous connection during the solving process that derailed me for a while. I'd be interested to see on Monday if anyone else did this too. Can't say any more now.
woozy

Post by woozy »

MikeM000 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:55 pm Nope...WSJ was way easier than this....
They are both damned hard.

But this one is more frustrating because I can see step one, then two, and step three of this and I can feel clever at that and know with 100% certainty I am correct and then.... get non-sense. And weirdly useless non-sense at that.

With the WSJ one, I can't even get step 1.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

WSJ was easier IMHO
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

One of those puzzles where you solve it, and then you say to yourself, "jeez, I've developed some bad solving habits".

(I also made a sloppy scrivener's error that sent me to uh..the wrong place altogether. Nothing more needs to be said about that).
woozy

Post by woozy »

Whoa!

Not a scrivener's error exactly but a knowledge bank missing file and a bad patching job.

Turns out I was right about the mechanism from the beginning. I'd call this a lenient 3 or a pretty hard 2; about a 2.7... had I not made the error.

But with the error.... a week 7.

EDIT: Beamed in at #98
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Confidently waiting for beam up. Nice one!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

It's nice for a rookie like me to hear that even many of you more experienced solvers are finding this and the WSJ difficult— this weekend is making me feel like I'm losing my touch. I woke up this morning with an epiphany to what I'm certain are the next few steps, but alas, still leading to a brick wall.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Waiting for beam up but this is a lock. I had a nagging thought floating around in the back of my mind since early yesterday but could not make sense of it. It finally floated into view like the answers in the old "Magic 8 Ball". I really like this puzzle.

EDIT: Beam up confirmed!
Last edited by lbray53 on Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Woke this morning and realized two things:
1. I had too many cocktails last night and wasn’t thinking straight, and
2. I should have seen this one sooner, having made a dumb interpretation previously.

Then, similar to a few of you, I made a scrivener’s error, which was due to a lack of knowledge, and had to back-solve a little.

Live and learn.

And let’s hope that aphorism applies to #1 above as well. (At least on those weekends when I still have a meta-puzzle to solve.)
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

Listen and learn from this cautionary tale, boys and girls, lest you find yourself charged with SWI.

Look your bartender straight in the eye, and say "No, thank you. I have a Gaffney to solve."
Berto

Post by Berto »

I feel like the young man in that far side cartoon “School for the gifted.” Fortunately @Wendy Walker pointed out I was pushing when I should be pulling and voilà, everything fell into place.

Now back to the weekend!
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Thanks to a helpful nudge/confirmation, finally beamed up at #121. Had an error probably similar to previous posters; resolved by backsolving, staring at something, and asking the Internet.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

D'oh! I nearly had it all along. Awaiting the beam, but certain it's correct. I do have a complaint about a particular red herring I suspect caused many of us some pain, but nonetheless a very satisfying puzzle.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Confident I'll be beaming up shortly, after a nudge that helped me see step 2.