"Interior Design" January 13, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

well I was sort of close. I was looking for something either bw the first two letters (C, G) or bw the last and first letter (K, G) in each clue. But I was looking for a clue answer having those. Even if I had figured out that it was the alphabet letters I certainly wouldn't have known Stu/Ringo or KLM/TWA so I was ultimately doomed. Onto next week!
chriscross

Post by chriscross »

mlvilv wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:27 pm Even if I had figured out that it was the alphabet letters I certainly wouldn't have known Stu/Ringo or KLM/TWA so I was ultimately doomed. Onto next week!
Wait - I had to google KLM and STU to identify the clues they belonged with. Does etiquette dictate I shouldn't have submitted? I am used to puzzle hunt type puzzles where creators often expect you to use the internet to search trivia, but I can see how in a crossword setting that same expectation wouldn't apply.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

DNF, hung over in the ship's bar ... at least, it looks like a ship's bar
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

LizD wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:51 am Never in a million years! Kaz 5 all the way.

I got deeply stuck in the mire after seeing "ELS" in the center of the grid, sure that it was a hint. "Look at the Ls!" it seemed to scream.

I tried all manner of manipulating the Ls - letters above and below and beside, boggle-style L shapes, other instances of EL in the grid, replacing Ls, and on and on. All to no avail.

Ah wELl. ;)
It was the same for me, highlighting the Ls, looking for a pattern with them, etc. Also there seemed to be a lot of patterns with diagonal and adjacent groups of vowels. Probably true of most crosswords but I was hopeful one of these patterns would be the interior”design.”
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

chriscross wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:58 pm
mlvilv wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:27 pm Even if I had figured out that it was the alphabet letters I certainly wouldn't have known Stu/Ringo or KLM/TWA so I was ultimately doomed. Onto next week!
Wait - I had to google KLM and STU to identify the clues they belonged with. Does etiquette dictate I shouldn't have submitted? I am used to puzzle hunt type puzzles where creators often expect you to use the internet to search trivia, but I can see how in a crossword setting that same expectation wouldn't apply.
Googling is not only a good idea... it's the law. Or at least standard procedure for metas.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

sharkicicles wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:49 pm
chriscross wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:58 pm
Googling is not only a good idea... it's the law. Or at least standard procedure for metas.
We call him Mr. G
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

For you on the Sunday night call, for the record STU was one of the easier ones for me. KLM was harder. But I don’t fly much. 44 years old and I know a lot of folks my age are big Beatles fans.
TMart

Post by TMart »

For all you Beatles fans, here’s a blast from the past:

https://www.xword-muggles.com/viewtopic.php?t=537
woozy

Post by woozy »

I assume nobody noticed the opera TOSCA was in the clue "'It happened one nighT' OSCAr winner"? That inspired me to create a puzzle. It says something that I found it easier to create a new puzzle than to solve this puzzle.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

That was one of my 'five theme answers, five different metanisms' theory :)

CLARKGABLE - clue hides "Tosca" - note tie in to 47D OPERA and 49D ARIA
GLASSJAR - OK, I didn't really have anything good for this one
JAWAHARLALNEHRU - contains grid entry HALAL with an extra R
MARCOPOLO - last word of clue "Pool" is an anagram of the last word of the entry
RIFTVALLEY - alternate letters are ITALY - another call back to the La Scala opera clues
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
JJD

Post by JJD »

LizD wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:51 am Never in a million years! Kaz 5 all the way.

I got deeply stuck in the mire after seeing "ELS" in the center of the grid, sure that it was a hint. "Look at the Ls!" it seemed to scream.

I tried all manner of manipulating the Ls - letters above and below and beside, boggle-style L shapes, other instances of EL in the grid, replacing Ls, and on and on. All to no avail.

Ah wELl. ;)
Yes, and an ELL is often a grid entry related to architecture/design!
M and M

Post by M and M »

Ah wELl. ;0

Yup, the L thing is my rabbit hole. (I went down a lot of them but the ELS across the middle of the puzzle was my favorite). I took one step not mentioned so far - I actually drew lines between all the Ls, starting with the answer labeled 1 and proceeding in order (moving sideways when there were two Ls in the grid answer.) This produced an ARROW (five letters) and it was a nice design in the interior of the puzzle but... the more I looked at the arrow, the more I thought, "That's not an arrow. That's just an indescibable hieroglyphic." I tilted my head every which way but the more I looked, the less of an arrow it was, so I finally gave up and went off after some other rabbit. I'm glad to meet my fellow L team members. We may have been wrong, but we were ELegant.
Last edited by M and M on Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

I too fell into the ELS rabbit hole. Counted the L's in each theme answer, looked for words in the shape of L's, looked at the letters surrounding the L's, looked at words containing EL's - NOBEL, ANGEL, KTEL, ELY, ELSA, BELA. Too many to be a coincidence, right?

I also spent a lot of time looking at the clues for something related to the theme answers. Found "Casual greeting"/CLARK GABLE and "Miami paper"/MARCO POLO, but the trail dried up from there. .
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Kas

Post by Kas »

A Kas 5, for sure,
Without even a doubt.
Not even with a clue,
(and surely not without).
I never had a shot,
Yep, was wholly out to sea.
So this week, the ship's cantina
Features both Isaac and me!
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

I seemed to recall a past puzzle where finding the meta was dependent on the letters between the first letters of two word answers. Doubt I would have seen it if I hadn’t remembered that from an earlier puzzle.

Anyone recall the earlier puzzle?
Cbburns

Post by Cbburns »

I’d like to know the stats on this one! How many successful solves and how many submitted? As for me, I was totally blown away!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Cbburns wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:08 pm I’d like to know the stats on this one! How many successful solves and how many submitted? As for me, I was totally blown away!
Stay tuned. Mike Miller (of WSJ) will be here later today or tomorrow with that info.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

mheberlingx100 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:40 am I seemed to recall a past puzzle where finding the meta was dependent on the letters between the first letters of two word answers. Doubt I would have seen it if I hadn’t remembered that from an earlier puzzle.

Anyone recall the earlier puzzle?
There was “Inner Turmoil” April 8, 2022
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is HEART. The letters alphabetically separating the initials of the five theme answers (CDEFG for CLARK GABLE; GHIJ for GLASS JARS; JKLMN for JAWAHARLAL NEHRU; MNOP for MARCO POLO; RSTUV for RIFT VALLEY) give an alternate answer for another answer’s clue: DEF for ETYM; HI for AHOY; KLM for TWA; NO for HARDLY; and STU for RINGO. The first letters of those answers, taken in order of the parenthetical numbers in the theme clues, spell the contest answer.

This was a very tough one! We got part-way down the black-diamond path at puzzle HQ but not all the way. We had just 425 entries, quite a bit lower than usual, with about 70% correct. Other guesses included DECOR (41), STYLE (9), MASON (2), THEME (2), and a handful of others.

Still waiting to confirm our winner so stay tuned...