"Interior Design" January 13, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
chriscross

Post by chriscross »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:39 pm Still waiting to confirm our winner so stay tuned...
Time to check the spam folders everyone.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

chriscross wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:22 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:39 pm Still waiting to confirm our winner so stay tuned...
Time to check the spam folders everyone.
Nothing in my spam folder. Rats!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

My Hail Mary would have been "DECOR" but I didn't see it.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

And now belated congrats to this week's winner: James Egan of Benicia, Calif.!
b4alltime

Post by b4alltime »

Holy Cow!
My Grail Quest has ended.
Figured I had an even chance of winning the mug after around 15-20 years of submitting correct entries every week. I am grateful but acknowledge that many deserved it more or at least as much. Thanks to those who have encouraged and nudged along the way, including Cruise Director Bob whose advice to me in October of ‘20 to “keep slogging along” despite discouragement was a good reminder that a learning curve can be painful. (Still is!)
However, I guess that I should have known that I would win with a Friday the 13th submission based on the obvious two sub-metas. Firstly, the answer to 60 across is my own surname. Secondly, the meta solution was “heart”, the internal organ I have devoted many years of medical practice to.
Regards to all,
Jim Egan
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

The only interesting diversion this time were the five 3-letter words starting with A, contained (interior) in the themers (A-frame, as in house design?)

clARKgable, glASSjars, jawAHArlalnehru, mARCopolo, and riftvALLey. The last letters of each would anagram to SLACK, but didn't match the numbers in parentheses, nor having anything really to do with interior design.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

b4alltime wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:52 am Holy Cow!
Figured I had an even chance of winning the mug after around 15-20 years of submitting correct entries every week. I am grateful but acknowledge that many deserved it more or at least as much. Thanks to those who have encouraged and nudged along the way, including Cruise Director Bob whose advice to me in October of ‘20 to “keep slogging along” despite discouragement was a good reminder that a learning curve can be painful. (Still is!)
However, I guess that I should have known that I would win with a Friday the 13th submission based on the obvious two sub-metas. Firstly, the answer to 60 across is my own surname. Secondly, the meta solution was “heart”, the internal organ I have devoted many years of medical practice to.
Regards to all,
Jim Egan
I’d say this was meant to be!! I believe I speak for all MUGgles when I say I am so happy for you! Congratulations!
Sara
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

b4alltime wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:52 am Holy Cow!
Regards to all,
Jim Egan

So exciting to see a fellow Muggle win the mug. When I saw how few submissions there were, I was sure hoping the odds were in our favor. A very big congratulations!!!
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

Hare Apparent Smile.jpg

As guest rabbit filling in for my big brother, I scoured the Forum posts for the best rabbit holes and writeups as a potential nominee for The X-Word Rabbit to approve. Big brother gave me a particularly tough challenge with this week’s “Interior Design” puzzle, which produced a low turnout and low percentage on both the Forum and the WSJ contest in this SAD (Simple and Devious) meta – “sad” being the operative word for most Muggles.

There were some common squirrel holes (shallow and very frequent) such as the misleading number of references to parts of a house like Els, Gable, and Valley (an ELL of a challenge). And then there were the sequences buried in the answers like Harlal (a character in Star Wars), which ties in with 24D (HALAL) using the famous “extra letter” rabbit hole that we are all familiar with. This and similar one-letter-off squirrel holes in the themers created a disturbance in the force that threw many Muggles into a black hole (and a black mood).

And finally we have the sartorial squirrel hole with Nehru jackets (for those of the right age) and Polo shirts but, alas, nothing further.

Beatles1.jpg

Left to right: George, John, Ringo, Paul. Not pictured: Stu.

So what does this mean to Hutch? Not much!! I am going to ask The X-Word Rabbit for another chance and put this week in the “better off forgotten” category – except, of course, for the Mug Winner.