MEOW #111 Chain Letters

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I was only looking for repetitions rather than progression alphabetically - NOW I get it (after the reveal is explained to me!). Similarity with WSJ (Interior Design) is interesting… I think MG must have ripped you off, Dr. Tom!
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:42 am I was only looking for repetitions rather than progression alphabetically - NOW I get it (after the reveal is explained to me!). Similarity with WSJ (Interior Design) is interesting… I think MG must have ripped you off, Dr. Tom!
Well for the actual mechanism MG might claim prior ownership. Without knowing I used a method somewhat similar to a March 2010 puzzle of his. I hadn’t seen his but I guess there are only so many ways…anyway I’m going to invoke the “great minds think alike…” and ignore the rest of the quotation :D
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Why BITCOINS, you may be asking yourself as I asked myself . . . until I remembered that Bitcoin is based on a technology known as BLOCKCHAIN.
Jay
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

I'm glad that you post the solution because I was totally guessing on 73A: Yale (lyrics from the Whiffenpoof Song I presume), 39D: Mudd (the doctor who fixed John Wilkes Booth's broken leg), and 57D: Italy (country that's still in NATO, but it's shaped like a boot). Very clever -- but fair puzzle. TY Dr. Tom!
Seattle DB
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:45 am Why BITCOINS, you may be asking yourself as I asked myself . . . until I remembered that Bitcoin is based on a technology known as BLOCKCHAIN.
And each "link" of the BLOCKCHAIN has a reference back to both the link it came from and the next link. That is what stimulated the creation of the puzzle, well that an slightly too much Burgundy wine.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!