"Two Can Play At That Game" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
markhr

Post by markhr »

Needed the second nudge. I'm not sure I ever would have hit on the solution otherwise.
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Crossed the MOAT. I'm glad I persevered and didn't realize there were nudges. Very clever puzzle and a nice AHA moment.
Cindy Heisler
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Needed the second nudge to solve but didn't appreciate the true beauty until after reading the comments on Crosshare. Very clever! Thanks for the puzzle @benchen71 !
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

I needed some nudges but enjoyed it once things started clicking. Very nice! Followed a few misleading paths that kept me from seeing the actual metanism, but this is a clever, fun one. Thanks, Ben.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Needed nudge two. Totally missed nudge four which was right there in plain sight if I had paid attention. I feel like I fell into the MOAT and needed to be fished out.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

markhr wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:20 pm Needed the second nudge. I'm not sure I ever would have hit on the solution otherwise.
I needed the 3rd as well. I would have never seen it otherwise.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

#2 to get me going; #s 3 and 4 to clarify and confirm.

So made it over into the castle, and am looking in the market stalls for a good price on parsnips...

Untitledparsnips.png

Thank you Ben! Excellent puzzle!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Crossed the moat!
Needed the 2 and 3rd nudges! Clever and Fun puzzle! Thanks!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Nice one, Ben! I needed the nudges, but I got 'er done!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

With the clues, everything fell into place.

Moat crossed.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

What a difference a day (and nudges!) make. Lots of successful solvers have made it across the moat!

Gutman
KayW
jbird
rjy
MatthewL
SeamusOL
ajk
Pair O Ducks
markhr
Dow Jones
Cindy Heisler
CPJohnson
Larry Edelstein
dplass
LindaPRmaven
Spid4567
Teamdoubletow
edestlin
lbray53
whimsy
Ergcat
MrTheHan
Cate C
Johnny Luau
Bbaack
Sharkicicles
frostyjhammer
Capn Rick
Jim23809
Kazr
dannyvee
sw3aterCS
ky-mike

That brings us to 48!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Needed the third nudge.
Rufus T. Firefly
ReB

Post by ReB »

Third nudge did the trick, especially since I was off on a wild goose chase.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I have been out of contact for a few days while glamping in a yurt near Joshua Tree National Park, so I didn't get to this until now, but was able to solve it without the nudges.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

"Yurt."

Fun to say.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:00 pm “OK turn all the words into numbers, square them, take a cube root, compare that to atomic numbers, write out the chemical formula derived, find out what the dd/mm/yyyy that was discovered and use those numbers to find letter squares.”
Hey, thanks for the idea!

Edit: Second nudge did the trick! Also might be the first-ever puzzle to name drop both "Mrs. Frisby" and Audrey Assad. I approve!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Nice one, Ben! I needed the 2nd nudge to help me see the light.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

So it's Monday morning here in Australia. Today I have to continue building a retaining wall, with the temperature expected to get to 39 degrees Celsius. That's over 100 for you Fahrenheit people! Before I release the answer, here is the last batch of solvers:

Jaclyn
Alex R
Abide
DebbieC
Rufus T Firefly
ReB
Dave C
ChrisCross
Mr Tex
Mikey G
Alex Sisti
Qmark
CapriciousDewy

We got to 61 in the end.

While on the subject of statistics, "Two Can Play At That Game" was one of my most popular puzzles on Crosshare. It's currently sitting in 5th position in "Most Solved Puzzles" at 225 (and will move into 4th with only a couple more solvers). But it topped "Best completion % w/o check/reveal (min 5 solves)" with 68%, which makes this my best puzzle as far as the fill is concerned. As far as the meta was concerned, there were 60 correct solvers out of 72 submissions.

And what was the answer, I hear you ask? ...
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the answer to "Two Can Play At That Game":

Two Can Play At That Game (solution).png

This one proved to be harder than a "week 2". I guess I thought the absence of double letters in a puzzle with "two" in the title would be a bit of a giveaway. I'm thinking this week's MOAT might be easier than I initially thought, so perhaps it will even out in the long run!
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

Holy Shite, Batman, I love 25D!
Seattle DB