"Two Can Play At That Game" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Two Can Play At That Game" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? We all like to play games, both the board kind (nice!) and the inter-personal relationship manipulative kind (not so nice!) So this meta is for all you game-players out there. Good luck at winning out in the end by finding the answer to the meta which is an eight-letter game that can be played by two people.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Two Can Play At That Game - Online Form
Two Can Play At That Game - PUZ
Two Can Play At That Game - PDF
Two Can Play At That Game - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed. Stormed.

Fun!

Thanks, Ben!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I pulled my cartful of parsnips across the drawbridge. Nice one, Ben.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rjy

Post by rjy »

...and twelve hours after Ben posted this puzzle, it does appear that just two can play at this game.
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well, that was a fun walk across the bridge! Hopefully that bodes well for the week, my first thought was NOT my typical “OK turn all the words into numbers, square them, take a cube root, compare that to atomic numbers, write out the chemical formula derived, find out what the dd/mm/yyyy that was discovered and use those numbers to find letter squares.

Nope this time I sais “Hey, what if…” and I was right.

Thanks Ben
Last edited by DrTom on Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:00 pmWell
Done

:)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
boharr

Post by boharr »

Nice one. Thanks.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:02 pm
DrTom wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:00 pmWell
Done

:)
Indeed “Well Done Ben..and that is not a rare occasion”
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:00 pm Well, that was a fun walk across the bridge! Hopefully that bodes well for the week, my first thought was NOT my typical “OK turn all the words into numbers, square them, take a cube root, compare that to atomic numbers, write out the chemical formula derived, find out what the dd/mm/yyyy that was discovered and use those numbers to find letter squares.

Thanks Ben
Well, crap, that eliminates my method...
ReB

Post by ReB »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:00 pm Well, that was a fun walk across the bridge! Hopefully that bodes well for the week, my first thought was NOT my typical “OK turn all the words into numbers, square them, take a cube root, compare that to atomic numbers, write out the chemical formula derived, find out what the dd/mm/yyyy that was discovered and use those numbers to find letter squares.
That would make for an awesome meta.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I have tried several things that get me about 3 letters! Nudges on Friday I guess.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

There's still a little while until the end of the first 24 hours, but this puzzle is proving to be a tough nut to crack! So far, the following solvers have successfully solved the meta:

Hector
Laura M
ChrisKochmanski
Cindy Weatherman
Meg
boharr
BarbaraK
DrTom
woozy
DIS
Tyrpmom
joe

Just 12 to get us going!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
woozy

Post by woozy »

Thanks Ben
My method was surprisingly similar. I saw one entry in the grid and that "if it were mmmm it would be nnnnn and that would ggggggg" but it seems the think that is just a solvers whim. It felt too loose and I thought it wouldn't work and it gave me too much stuff but... dang if it didn't give me something I could work with. It felt too loose but I have since figured out why it works so very tightly.

I'd prefer it if the nutcracker were more bcbcbcbc rather than ssssssss, but it's does turn into a real solid fit.

Good puzzle, Ben.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

lbray53 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:11 pm I have tried several things that get me about 3 letters! Nudges on Friday I guess.
That's 3 more than me...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's a solver update for you:

JoshSolves
Slothrop
Account

Since that's a total of 15 - and I thought this would be a "week 2" puzzle! - I think it's time for some early nudges...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There is a hint in the clue for 41 across: It takes two to do this (which is also a vague hint concerning something you need to do eight times in the grid to solve the meta).

2. Did you notice that there are no double letters in the entire grid?

3. Look for squares containing letters that can be doubled and still form words across and down.

4. The clues for 34 across and 25 down might help to discover one tricky letter!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: Nudged across the moat. Very clever. The meta, that is. Me, not so much :)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Ahhhhhh, finally! Needed the second nudge and got off the couch, thru the moat or out of the bag, whatever it is, I just can't remember anymore. But really cool concept, Ben!
Ray
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

2nd nudge got me across the moat as well. Very nice puzzle.
Matthew
ajk

Post by ajk »

Needed the third nudge (although the second one had me in the same ballpark and I probably should just have been patient :lol:). Also needed to backsolve one letter, but finally got it. Fun stuff, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer