The Replacement(s)

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Since last report, only four more solvers have come into the TV room.

53. Mr Tex
54. BrennerTJ
55. david
56. Teamdoubletow

Maybe I should adjust the rabbit ears for better reception or get something more interesting on the screen than this test pattern. Or maybe some nudges.

”Another Opening, Another Show,” the opening number of Cole Porter’s Kiss Me Kate, could also apply to the five theme entries.

The titles of the shows, hoever, are not quite right. They all have a singular omission.

The missing letter has been replaced by another.

These replacements almost spell the answer to the meta -– “almost” because the new word omits the same letter, which must now be added.
Jay
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Got it, finally; needed the nudges. I have never watched ANY of those shows. Only heard of two. (sigh)
Cynthia
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Didn't get a chance to try the puzzle until tonight, but was able to solve it without looking at the hints. Thanks for another fun meta, Jay!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The final total of solvers is an even four score, with another 24 folks wandering into the bar since last count.

57. Coach
58. Norm
59. Carla
60. Sam M
61. Diane C
62. Cliff
63. Woody
64. CPJohnson
65. DavyGravy
66. MaineMarge
67. THC
68. Snood
69. DIS
70. Jaclyn
71. LB800
72. SeamusOL
73. Dow Jones
74. Qmark
75. Magistra
76. Richard
77. Naptown Kid
78. cbarbee002
79. Sharkicicles
80. Deb W

Oh, wait. Maybe seven of those people are fictional.

The answer is CHEERS.

The first word of each of the five long entries is the singular form of a noun that in its plural form is the name of a TV show.

SUITS
BONES
WEEDS
FRIENDS
SCRUBS

The S has been removed and replaced with another letter. Those five letters spell CHEER, a singular noun whose plural is the answer.
Solution.jpg
You didn’t have to know any of these shows or even catch on to the mechanism. You could have just taken the first letter of the second word in each themer.
Cheers.jpg
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments in the tip jar. Maybe you’ll be able to find reruns of this puzzle in syndication on obscure websites for the next half-century.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I've heard of all of those shows, but it just wouldn't come to me. I feel a bit embarrassed, since this is arguably an easier metanism than some of the other ones I've cracked over the weekend, but I just never saw it. Now, of course, it's so glaring - but I never had it (did forget about the nudges until today, after the deadline).

I probably abide by Groucho Marx's quip: "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."

Thanks for the puzzle, however, in any case! Cheers!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Did you catch the Easter eggs in the clues?

1A "...long-running NBC sitcom" (Shelley Long and NBC sitcom)
25A "...long-running NBC comedy show (ditto)
4D "...waitress..."
18D "...bartender..."
48D "...local bar..." and
54A "Raise a glass to"/TOAST
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I should have noted that all these Easter eggs were added by test solvers @Al Sisti and @Abide, for which many thanks.
Jay
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

MikeyG wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:44 am I probably abide by Groucho Marx's quip: "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."

Mikey G
He also said, "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend."
Jay
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:05 pm
MikeyG wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:44 am I probably abide by Groucho Marx's quip: "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."

Mikey G
Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:24 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:05 pm

Mikey G
Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read
I'm bummed. I just now found out he wasn't the one who coined the phrase "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
woozy

Post by woozy »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:57 am Did you catch the Easter eggs in the clues?

1A "...long-running NBC sitcom" (Shelley Long and NBC sitcom)
25A "...long-running NBC comedy show (ditto)
4D "...waitress..."
18D "...bartender..."
48D "...local bar..." and
54A "Raise a glass to"/TOAST
No, but I wish I had. Excellent cluing!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.