MGWCC #762 - “Pitch Perfect”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe Ross

MGWCC #762 - “Pitch Perfect”

Post by Joe Ross »

MGWCC #762 — Friday, January 6th, 2023 — “Pitch Perfect”

THIS WEEK’S INSTRUCTIONS:

No instructions given here since there are no-instructions options this week.

Solve well, and be not led astray by words intended to deceive.

--Matt

WANT TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY CROSSWORD CONTEST?:
MGWCC is available only to subscribers at my Patreon page.
A subscription costs $3/month.
docison

Post by docison »

Easy breezy week 1 to start the year. Submitted and on the board in the top 10 (#8). Decks happily cleared for the new P&A Magazine out tomorrow morning.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Let's see if we get past a total of 700 correct entries this week - that'd be a great way to start off '23!

A little embarrassed it took me the whole grid to see what I needed to, but I prevailed! Now off to solve a bunch of your metas! Wish me luck!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

On the board at #38.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

In at 33....plus picked up the 25 in a row. (albeit not solo).

Now what am I going to do for the weekend.....oh yeah...Mikey G puzzle is still taunting me....sitting there staring at me.
TMart

Post by TMart »

Beamed at 50.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well that was quick...I can see how the master solvers got it in a minute, particularly if they use the "reveal the solution" trick. For me, I have to fill in the grid. Heck I learned at least two new things from this one.

EDIT: On the board at #70 after a 25 minute from release to solve, what a difference two weeks make.
Last edited by DrTom on Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Beamed up - fun puzzle. 28A took me a while because I misread the clue, which gave me a laugh when I realized it.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beamed!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:31 pm Well that was quick...I can see how the master solvers got it in a minute, particularly if they use the "reveal the solution" trick.
Wait, what? People really do that??
MMe

Post by MMe »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:00 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:31 pm Well that was quick...I can see how the master solvers got it in a minute, particularly if they use the "reveal the solution" trick.
Wait, what? People really do that??
Not with this one. Just a .puz, with no reveal or checking enabled.
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Beamed up at #117. Thank goodness for Week 1s.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Beamed up. Don’t think I’ll ever break top 10, I’m too regimented in filling out the entire grid before looking for the meta. Being a newbie I think it took me longer to remember where the meta clue is (bottom of grid as opposed to above clues for WSJ Friday) than it did for some people to submit their answer!
Ho hum, glad for the easy start to my MGWCC solving career! Have a great weekend all
Joe

Post by Joe »

About as Week 1 as you can get. Not complaining! Since I can't imagine anyone not beaming aboard, let's all meet up the bar. There's gotta be a bar on this ship, right?
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed.
rjy

Post by rjy »

Downs only, no instructions, no peeking... Submitted with fingers crossed... BEAMED!
Ray
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Joe wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:33 pm About as Week 1 as you can get. Not complaining! Since I can't imagine anyone not beaming aboard, let's all meet up the bar. There's gotta be a bar on this ship, right?
Of course! Guinan runs it.
Guinan.jpg
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
woozy

Post by woozy »

This is the best I've ever done on a downs-only no instructions (Although I figured if I was doing downs only I'd have zero reservations about googling).

I didn't get all that far but enough that if I had a peek at clues 1and 5 across (1 across was a game changer, I must admit if I'm being honest) I was able to take a 75% stab at the meta solution. Than a peek at the clue for 30 across I completed the grid and had the meta at 100%.

Looking over the clues confirmed it (for personal reasons, I was really glad to see 24A make it to a crossword) and a verifying look at the prompt (hey, I'm not fool-hardy) and I submitted. I'm not confirmed yet, but 100% sure.

Actually, there's something I've always wondered about the title which... I guess I'll ask on Tues. or so.

So, yes, a real week 1 but a nice time to try a downs only with... lack of success (I didn't make it) but a satisfying personal sense of achievement (I did better than I ever have before).
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

yes indeed. beamed.
The other Wendy. :roll: