"Epiphany" January 6, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Big shove from a very patient muggle. Ashore, but soaking wet after falling out of the tender over and over and over again.
Kevin
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

On shore with the beach crowd.

Enjoying a Crianza.

Picked up on step 1 immediately, as I would think most Muggles would. Step 2 came quickly for me, but not as quickly for my kids. Son caught sight of it not long after I did. Daughter thereafter. Funny how some weeks it's the opposite. But over the years here, we've all had puzzles where we struggle while others don't, followed by weeks where it's the opposite. C'est la vie.
LizD

Post by LizD »

Made it ashore while travelling home today thanks to fellow muggles! Hurrah!
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Ashore!
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I’ve been staring at step one for hours with no idea of where to start on step two. Any muggle want to throw me a last minute lifeline?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles. Our final count is 6 on the ship and 196 on the shore

On the final tender to shore are

Jean
michaelm
ErikThor
Grandma Lolo
HunterX
auee89
Grover
DannyWalter
Ann
Cindy N
OliviaL
zacmoretz and Aunt Norma
Liz

Good luck to all winning the mug

And have a great muggle week
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
regfish7

Post by regfish7 »

On shore! Late start to meta solving this week. Took a sec to see step 2 but got it!
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Well, this is about as 11th-hour as one can get. I finally got around to considering the meta seriously and had … a belated epiphany! So, to my delight, I’m ashore, but I have no time for a cool libation, as it’s been a long day and it’s now well past my bedtime … 🤪.
RobM

Post by RobM »

Finally found my way to shore with half an hour to spare. But after I submitted an incorrect hail mary entry, so no mug for me this week.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I had been staring at AHA in the grid for 2 days until I got on the plane - and the lady across the aisle from me ordered :
8618FB4A-EFB7-42D6-B4E1-47717C6A01B7.jpeg
I could hear Mike Shenk laughing at my puzzle struggles :lol:
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Blew that one BIG time because I saw THREE WORD and read THREE LETTER so I figured this was a VERY easy start to the month and submitted AHA :oops:

I think I might have eventually gotten around to the second step because I was at the point of saying "M AHA L, well there is a MEL so I'll take the E, and H AHA S and HIS so Ill take the I, a M AHA N and MTN so I'll take the T ...but of course that is where it stopped. I also remember thinking, "boy SERA is close" however by that point I had already screwed up and submitted the wrong answer so I figured why make myself crazy for no possible gain. Gosh I wish I could think of puzzles like that....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

DrTom wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:24 am Blew that one BIG time because I saw THREE WORD and read THREE LETTER
I came to the forum to make sure there wasn't a correction on the directions after seeing AHA -

and there wasn't

but I did see a note to use a legal pad of paper to solve

and that led me to the madness I experienced trying to solve this one :lol: :D
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
WabiSabi

Post by WabiSabi »

EPIPHANY - Solution.jpg
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

LizD wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:38 pm I was able to get a printed puzzle from the front desk at our hotel, and I see something but don't know what to do next. I guess I'll have to settle for a caipirinha from the bar and will try again on the plane home tomorrow. 😜
Nice hotel, for a discount chain. :D
Rufus T. Firefly
Bill Bovard

Post by Bill Bovard »

A bit off topic but... about a week ago, probably with the year change, the PDF format changed and the grid got smaller, with a blank 1.5" on each side of the 8.5x11 paper. Does everyone see this? Is there any way to get the old format? Bigger is always a little better when it comes to filling in the grid. As long as I'm writing about this, it would be nice if the date was included in the PDF.

And I saw the AHA's in this puzzle but couldn't do anything with them.
steveb

Post by steveb »

I like the new PDF print format just fine. I printed the puzzle on letter-size paper, specifying "Actual Size," The puzzle occupied the left side of the page and was big enough for my aging eyes to read. The right side was open space, perfect for notes.
IMG_3612.jpeg
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bill Bovard wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:24 am A bit off topic but... about a week ago, probably with the year change, the PDF format changed and the grid got smaller, with a blank 1.5" on each side of the 8.5x11 paper. Does everyone see this? Is there any way to get the old format? Bigger is always a little better when it comes to filling in the grid. As long as I'm writing about this, it would be nice if the date was included in the PDF.
Via computer:

On the WSJ online form, click on "Print"/Printer icon at bottom/right.
  • Save the PDF file - with the date already in the file name - to your drive

Via phone:

On the WSJ online form, click on the Settings wheel/cog at top/right.
  • PRINT
  • SIZE: legal
  • PRINTER: Save as PDF
  • Save the PDF file - with the date already in the file name - to your drive

tempFileForShare_20230109-013730.png
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

escapeartist wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:34 am
DrTom wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:24 am Blew that one BIG time because I saw THREE WORD and read THREE LETTER
I came to the forum to make sure there wasn't a correction on the directions after seeing AHA -

and there wasn't
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:32 pm Resisting this for a too early dinner:

KayW wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:56 pm
Tom Wilson wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:44 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:32 pm Resisting this for a too early dinner:

Don't resist. And be sure to add tomato soup for the full "comfort food" experience!
More importantly, don't forget the HAM.

viewtopic.php?t=357&start=280#p17757
Amen, brothers & sisters!
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

I submitted I SEE IT, but I didn't like it. I got stuck with the the idea that it was the two letters that bracketed AHA could also be used to bracket another letter in the grid. This worked perfectly for HAHAS, MAHAL, and MAHAN. Then OMS kind of works, except the replacement letter ("S") wasn't in the middle. And then SERA and GRIM...

I never, never saw that it was the WORD that contained AHA not the ANSWER.