"Epiphany" January 6, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Ok, finally ashore after some trial and error. Nice one!
kcxwordteam

Post by kcxwordteam »

On shore!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ashore with the crowd of beach epiphanados. As did others, found step 1 quickly but took two days to figure it out.
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

TheCatt wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:47 pm On the ship. Found part 1, but... no more.
Apparently just had to sleep on it. Saw it immediately this morning.

On shore.
Libbypibby

Post by Libbypibby »

Ashore!
BreeZynCO

Post by BreeZynCO »

After a hiatus so long I forgot my password for the forum, New Year's reflections have corrected my priorities in life. I am back ashore once again. Here is to New Year's resolutions! (Hopefully I will keep these longer than last year's!)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles.

We have had continuous movement to the shore and the ship's bar in the last 24 hours. We now have 7 on the ship and 183 on the shore.

New to the bar (and Isaac thanks you) are:

hoover
Liz
TheKater

And getting to the crowded shore are:

Steveb
escapeartist
Acari
Doug M
mbryant
eagle1279
Rita and George
jrdad
ImOnToo
Jarrod
Notbitter
Olof
Colin
relic (and Maggie)
Debbie
Bonnibel
rancho
Collegetowngirl
SJMck
Secret Adversary
Isw
TheCatt
Burak
Miki
EVJ
Nancygo
Libbypibby
BreeZynCO

And don't forget the Last Call Zoom session tonight at 8 pm Eastern Time. The link is at the top of this forum page.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bonnibel wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:51 pm Ashore!

I have been quite literally off the grid the last 2 weeks due to Christmas/Covid, then a New Years trip to our place in Mammoth where we experienced a massive series of snowstorms knocking out power and connectivity... needless to say, we Californians are unaccustomed to severe weather events! Unable to access WSJ, I was quite content having an excuse to huddle up with coffee and jigsaw puzzles. Attached is a photo from our balcony taken on New Years day - breathtakingly beautiful.

Mammoth Jan 1 2023.jpg
So sorry you got COVID over the holidays! It's bad enough when you're not planning on getting together with friends and family.

I'm jealous about the snow though. Wife and I have a trip there to ski, but not until early March. So keep mother nature's freezer on until then!
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Solved.. all
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

HunterX wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:33 pm
Bonnibel wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:51 pm Ashore!

I have been quite literally off the grid the last 2 weeks due to Christmas/Covid, then a New Years trip to our place in Mammoth where we experienced a massive series of snowstorms knocking out power and connectivity... needless to say, we Californians are unaccustomed to severe weather events! Unable to access WSJ, I was quite content having an excuse to huddle up with coffee and jigsaw puzzles. Attached is a photo from our balcony taken on New Years day - breathtakingly beautiful.

Mammoth Jan 1 2023.jpg
So sorry you got COVID over the holidays! It's bad enough when you're not planning on getting together with friends and family.

I'm jealous about the snow though. Wife and I have a trip there to ski, but not until early March. So keep mother nature's freezer on until then!
Should be great skiing in March as long as the cold holds... Mammoth (arguably) has the best skiing in the west, if not the country. Its' a huge mountain with lots to offer. So much to do in spring/summer/fall that, as the saying goes,"People come for the winter but stay for the summer." We have been snowed in there many, many times over the years... however the recent snowfall has been epic for sure! Still more expected this week. Our place has a great location - lots of open meadow which affords not only wonderful views but opportunities for snow play, walking, biking etc. or simply enjoying your favorite beverage from a folding chair by the creek.

Yes Covid was a real bummer and we are just weary of it. Interfered with our family holiday plans, but thankfully all the grandkids live close enough that we will see everyone soon.

Happy New Year!
🌴🍹
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Well, I'll be. I'm on the shore! I had the first step and for the life of me couldn't go any further. I took a chance and jumped on Zoom and found a commiserating soul. Amazing how talking things through with someone triggers something!
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Secret Adversary wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:56 pm Ashore!

My New Years gift to myself was a subscription to the NY Times Games. Oh my goodness. I thought it would be the crossword. But it's the Spelling Bee. Why do I love it so much?
I started subscribing to the NYT games last year because I no longer get the local paper which carried the NYT crossword. I don't usually do the Spelling Bee, but I do the mini-crossword and the regular crossword daily, as well as Wordle. (I also do the LA Times crossword, the WSJ crossword, and the Washington Post Sunday crossword.) I got my love of crosswords from my parents, as well as my love for reading.
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

A late start. A late finish. Ashore
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

iggystan wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:17 pm
Secret Adversary wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:56 pm Ashore!

My New Years gift to myself was a subscription to the NY Times Games. Oh my goodness. I thought it would be the crossword. But it's the Spelling Bee. Why do I love it so much?
I started subscribing to the NYT games last year because I no longer get the local paper which carried the NYT crossword. I don't usually do the Spelling Bee, but I do the mini-crossword and the regular crossword daily, as well as Wordle. (I also do the LA Times crossword, the WSJ crossword, and the Washington Post Sunday crossword.) I got my love of crosswords from my parents, as well as my love for reading.
Seattle times carries the NYT crossword puzzle, but on a 30 day or so delay. It is free online.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On shore.
And beach in Marco Island, Fla not too bad either.
Last edited by michaelm on Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OliviaL

Post by OliviaL »

On shore!
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Ashore! On a bit of a roll here. As the great detective said, when you have eliminated all other possibilities. . .

I had an error in the grid that sytymied me for a bit, but brute force got me through it.
Grandma Lolo

Post by Grandma Lolo »

Ashore!
Grover

Post by Grover »

Ashore after being so close for so long without closing the deal.