MGWCC #761 — “This & That”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Joe

Post by Joe »

Ooh, I like that! Beamed aboard (or soon will be). I'd say his difficulty meter is back on track. This was a 2.5 IMHO.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Beamed up, #103. Relieved to not have to spend my weekend on this one (I was psyching myself up to just opt out if so, but who knows if I could actually do that).

I looked under the "This Year" tab to see what my final count was, and it had already advanced to 2023 so oops, missed my chance. I think I was around 45 for the year, certainly I'm not in the running for prizes. Seems like it was a tough MGWCC year but maybe that was just me... lots of really good ones though!
Tina

Post by Tina »

Matt finishes the year on a high note. That meta was very clever and enjoyable. Great a-ha moment. I thought, "Could it be?...," then, "Yes, it is!" But, wow, that grid really exposed my lack of both high-brow and popular culture knowledge.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Haha wow. Looking at Matt's page right now, apparently I submitted at the exact moment he was doing an update. On the board at #110!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay.... I'm kind of confused. I've seen several people commenting about how there isn't going to be a week 5 this week (huh? why not?) and there are well over 100 correct submissions so far which is high for a week 5. So is this a week 5 or isn't it?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Really enjoyed that puzzle, and now I get to brag about solving a "solo Week 5"! Every time I do so, Mark, my chief head-size-deflater, will point out that per Matt it was only a Week 2.5.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oh! That was a fun AHA moment. One of the best in a long time.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

That was a lot of fun. I sent in the comment "I know 37 Across by 2 different names and neither of them fit!"
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Beam me up! Nice to finish the year with a W.
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

Laura M wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:05 pm Beamed up, #103. Relieved to not have to spend my weekend on this one (I was psyching myself up to just opt out if so, but who knows if I could actually do that).

I looked under the "This Year" tab to see what my final count was, and it had already advanced to 2023 so oops, missed my chance. I think I was around 45 for the year, certainly I'm not in the running for prizes. Seems like it was a tough MGWCC year but maybe that was just me... lots of really good ones though!
If you click or tap the little “<“ link at the top of the “This Year” tab, you can go back to prior weeks and into 2022. 🙂
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

AaronT wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:53 pm
Laura M wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:05 pm I looked under the "This Year" tab to see what my final count was, and it had already advanced to 2023 so oops, missed my chance.
If you click or tap the little “<“ link at the top of the “This Year” tab, you can go back to prior weeks and into 2022. 🙂
Thanks, I didn't notice that!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

AaronT wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:53 pm
Thanks! Looks like it’s not counting today’s puzzle in either year though.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Teleported!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Laura M wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:05 pm Beamed up, #103. Relieved to not have to spend my weekend on this one (I was psyching myself up to just opt out if so, but who knows if I could actually do that).

I have a twofold response: 1. Wow, some of these puzzles this year led to so many amazing, a-ha moments and some incredible feats of construction. 2. Oh, man, if only I discovered this a few years earlier, just think of all the equally amazing moments I could have experienced!

But, yeah, this was great, albeit slightly harder than '21, I agree!

Average solves in 2021:

Total: 420/week
Solo: 337/week (since this stat started getting disclosed)

Average solves in 2022 (excluding this one):

Total: 389/week
Solo: 327/week

Bring on '23!!

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Meg

Post by Meg »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:45 pm Really enjoyed that puzzle, and now I get to brag about solving a "solo Week 5"! Every time I do so, Mark, my chief head-size-deflater, will point out that per Matt it was only a Week 2.5.
I think this was my first week 5 solo solve! So proud🥲 . Tell Mark a week 5 big head is perfectly appropriate.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Confidently awaiting beam-up. What a fun way to end a great year of metas!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

After following a few fruitless paths, I am confident I’ve beamed up. Very fun “aha” moment! Nice that it wasn’t a true week five. My weekend is mine!
Heidi
Joe

Post by Joe »

MikeM000 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:54 pm That was a lot of fun. I sent in the comment "I know 37 Across by 2 different names and neither of them fit!"
That movie. It's one of my absolute favorites of Kurosawa's. Do yourselves a favor. See it if you haven't!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

woozy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:36 pm Okay.... I'm kind of confused. I've seen several people commenting about how there isn't going to be a week 5 this week (huh? why not?) and there are well over 100 correct submissions so far which is high for a week 5. So is this a week 5 or isn't it?
Matt said on the crosswordfiend.com write up last week that since Word for Word played like a week five…..this week we would have some easier fun.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Awaiting beamage. Fun one and now I need to finish the grid. Happy New Year Muggles!
Kevin